Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuxedo Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Orange County, CA
My Digital Audio Power Mac G4 is running at 800 MHz with the 1MB L3 cache but I saw on a website that's it's possible to clock it up more. I have a pretty powerful non-OEM cooling fan on the processor heatsink. I have a resistor in the R5 position so it does run at 800 MHz but I want to get it up to 867 and the site shows that it needs the "jumper set" at R5 and R1 so does that mean I can just leave the existing R5 resistor where it is and just melt a little trace of solder over the R1 to connect the two R1 ends together???

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yes. Just use a little bit of solder to create the jumpers.
Here's the site if you haven't been there already, Overclock your G4 Quicksilver.

Just solder the R1 jumper to get to 867mhz. You can always try the 933mhz too to see if it runs stable enough.

Attachments

• overclock G4 QS jumper chart.jpg
    overclock G4 QS jumper chart.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 83

Tuxedo Man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Orange County, CA
Overclock digital audio G4?

Does it matter what kind of solder I use? You think setting it to 1.07 GHz would generate too much heat? Well anyways I'll try 933 MHz, it is enough so I can at least upgrade it to Leopard without doing the open firmware trick.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Does it matter what kind of solder I use? You think setting it to 1.07 GHz would generate too much heat? Well anyways I'll try 933 MHz, it is enough so I can at least upgrade it to Leopard without doing the open firmware trick.

I doubt it will even start if you go above 867mhz but it's always worth a try ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.