Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Posts are starting to get very repetitive so I though a thread for the most common issues, so far, could be easily found.

I was going to go find all the Terminal 'hacks' and other issues and post them, but I'm too lazy. I'll post one to start.

To restore the blue progress bar. open Terminal and type these 2 commands.

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeToolbarRedesign -bool NO

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle -bool NO

Then restart Safari. In addition to the blue progress bar, the reload icon is removed from next to the RSS feed button and you now have a Stop/Reload icon to place on your menu.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Set Your Own Top Sites

Open up a tab with Top Sites and then in a new window open the page you want. Pull up the window with Top Sites open and lick Edit. Then drag that the website image (to the left in the address bar) into the Top Sites and drop it there. Then click the Pin and it will lock it on. The Close or Pin sign will not appear at first but once you restart Top Sites it should be there.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Cool. My Safari now has the look of the old one but the horsepower of the new one... thanks.

.max

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
I found a way to do this tweaking using Safari menu! :rolleyes:

safaritweaks.jpg

It requires replacing a single file and no Terminal hassle.
Here are instructions:
http://pointum.com/safari-tweaks.html

AndersLangaard

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
get all previews for bookmarks

it would be awesome if you could import lots of bookmarks and safari fetches for all the preview image. is there a way to do that?

i don't understand that at least the actual website loads in the cover flow, when browsing through the bookmarks. only after a click on it the preview gets generated. any idea?

voicebox

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
London UK

Here are instructions:
[url]http://pointum.com/safari-tweaks.html[/url][/QUOTE]
Thanks for a great tip .max and for the download instructions. I just did it and everything now works even better. Thanks again!
voicebox:)

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I would really like the option to make "Top Sites" my home page, as in when I click the home button. Is there a way to do that?

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Just a quick question - if you change the tabs to the tab below, do you lose the new button to add a new tab? I'm guessing you do, but would be good if not.

Moving the reload button back would be good too - as a web designer, I'm always reloading pages after editing pages, and its taking a bit of getting used to now that its moved.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Just a quick question - if you change the tabs to the tab below, do you lose the new button to add a new tab? I'm guessing you do, but would be good if not.

Moving the reload button back would be good too - as a web designer, I'm always reloading pages after editing pages, and its taking a bit of getting used to now that its moved.

You do lose the "new tab" button when you go back to the tab bar at the bottom... looks identical to Safari 3.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I found a way to do this tweaking using Safari menu!

Here are instructions:

But it lacks the very only option that I want, namely getting back the blue progress bar, doesn't it? The trick is in there:

Here's a list of Safari 4 modifications:
http://pastie.textmate.org/398861

And yes, even if I have to bear the odd spinning wheel in the tabs and the ancient Reload and Add buttons (you'll find the buttons in Safari's "View - Custom Toolbar" menue after doing the terminal trick). Maybe I'll change my opinion later ;-)

If somebody finds a possibility to get back the blue bar without having to buy the odd wheel in the same package please open a new thread :) Thxinadvnc

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008

Did you know you could also refresh with Cmd+R? Just thought that might be handy for you since you're already typing and editing crap..

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Double-clicking in the open space of the old tab bar brought up a new tab.

Also Command+T is a thousand times easier.

Command+R is a thousand times easier.

MotleyPete

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Blighty
it would be awesome if you could import lots of bookmarks and safari fetches for all the preview image. is there a way to do that?

i don't understand that at least the actual website loads in the cover flow, when browsing through the bookmarks. only after a click on it the preview gets generated. any idea?

You could try right-clicking the bookmark folders and choosing "Open in Tabs".

Might take a little while if you have a lot of folders, but once they have all loaded their previews will be added to Cover flow.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Open up a tab with Top Sites and then in a new window open the page you want. Pull up the window with Top Sites open and lick Edit. Then drag that the website image (to the left in the address bar) into the Top Sites and drop it there. Then click the Pin and it will lock it on. The Close or Pin sign will not appear at first but once you restart Top Sites it should be there.

This works fine, but when I restart Safari, it clears all the ones that I added manually. How do I get them to ACTUALLY stay?

Fixed that for you. :p

Hey, now. iMacmatician follows my philosophy. Others agree with me on a regular basis.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009

safaritweaks.jpg

Here are instructions:

Thanks for that. I had some trouble with it though. When I put the file in I didnt rename it back to the original name and I had to keep dragging them in to get it to work. Safari wasn't even working for a bit, I dunno what the hell I did but it was messing up.

Am I the only one who doesnt like the blue progress bar? Thats the one thing I HATED about safari at times. A web page would basically be fully loaded, and I would still see that dumb ass blue bar at like 90% just sitting there. It bugged the piss out of me.

EDIT: GREAT...... now I just changed one ofthe preferences to "view webless ct" or something like that, just to see what it was. NOW my safari wont load. I keep getting an error message saying "safari had to quit unexpectedly...... now what?!?!?!?! uuuugggghhhhh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.