Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
2006 Mac Pro - $2,499 Two 2.66GHz dual core ($690 per processor) $1,119 + processors
2008 Mac Pro - $2,799 Two 2.80GHz quad core ($797 per processor) $1,205 + processors

2009 Mac Pro - $2,499 One 2.66GHz quad core ($284 per processor) $2,215 + processor
2009 Mac Pro - $3,299 Two 2.26GHz quad core ($373 per processor) $2,553 + processors

Please explain Apple.
That's what I thought. It's misleading to say that it's $300 less for a base level Mac Pro now-- because before they had just one configuration that you could downgrade to 4 cores instead of 8 to bring the price BELOW the $2500 mark (where the base 4-core version sits now). I know we're using new / better processors, but don't pretend like the Mac Pro is cheaper than it used to be, Apple.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
What bugs me is the stupid Video port.. thanks to that proprietary wonder that I'm not sure what its tangible advantages are really to DVI.. we have no Quardo card support, fewer options cuz graphics cards have to have special hardware ports on them, not just a BIOS change.. and we have to pay 30-110$ extra for an adapter cable to run a second DVI display. I though we learned something from ADC port. I own a Quad mac pro and building the same spec again is not very tempting with the pricing. The 2.8 x 8 was a very good deal.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Interesting - if anyone can confirm this I'd love to hear it. This sounds effectively like a quad-channel mode, with the channels divided up by processor. (If you could set up Parallels to run Windows on physical one CPU with 4GB RAM on one completely separate channel, and OS X on the other CPU with 12GB RAM on tri-channel, that would be ideal.)

If that's the case, it seems like you could also perhaps run two dual-channels per CPU - but the way this sounds, it's like you're not sharing the same pipeline/channel between CPUs, rather getting two separate memory buses for the two CPUs. Is that right?

Each CPU connects to a memory branch through it's memory controller. Each processor can access the other processor's memory branch via the QPI link between them. So yeah you could have two dual channel setups.

drsmithy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Very surprised that they plated these Mac Pros with GT120 which is just a 8600GT rebranded. That card goes for about ~$100. Don't even get me started with the entry model being only 1 CPU (4-cores) and a UP TO 8GB ram. Appears to be a downgrade to me.:mad:

The entry level model is the machine everyone has been begging Apple to sell for years.

...Just at twice the price they were prepared to pay for it.

cheradenine

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
undt so..

Since the quad is basically a Core i7 with ECC support (ooh, wow, how exciting), the base level Mac Pro is pretty much the same as a Dell Studio XPS. The dell has a slightly worse Video card (HD 3650, but you can always switch that), but it does have a BluRay RW included.

Oh, and the small matter of Apple wanting £1899, and Dell wanting £709.

You know. Like less than *half* the price.

It's not the exchange rate. And it's gone beyond appletax.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I Love the people who complain. You are so saaaaaaad, it defies description.

Oh no, the Mac Pro is more expensive then the rest of the product line. What a surprise! How dare they.

It's not about that. It is about going from a very good value workstation (price similar to those of the components at retail) to very expensive systems. You can get the same hardware for $1000 less.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
I've been desperately waiting to replace my G5. We are a Final Cut Studio production house and I am getting sick of running XDCAM EX edits on a MBP17 and the G5. I really need a Mac Pro and have been waiting for months for the expected Nehalem chips. And it's not a bad machine, graphics card notwithstanding. But buying this machine in sterling is very distasteful indeed, and I don't really know what to do.

Order one of the previous generation Mac Pro's whilst they're still in resellers. I've run XDCAM on a 2.66 with no problems. The alternative is to build your own!

These new machines are a rip off considering we are in recession.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Now... as for the update, it's just a wait and see in the real world, don't ya think? It's funny, cause the MP section of the forums has been overloaded with 'GIMME NEHALEM' threads for months now, and finally here it is, and all anyone says is 'WHAT A JOKE'. People are just ridiculous and pathetic.

Fixed, man. Fascinating doesn't cut it. People are absolutely despicable, and the people that use this forum are among the worst of the worst.

I woke up today to find a plethora of new products from Apple, all of which are products that "users" have "demanded" that Apple update. All of the updates are in line with "demands", yet a quick view of the postive/negative reviews shows the true color of people who troll this site. Its absolutely, HORRIBLY, pathetic. Frightening, even.

Chilz0r

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Hmmm...I think I'll make my judgment after I see some independent benchmarks. I just hope they offer the HD4870 as a separate kit :D.

macus3r

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SNOW LEOPARD

Multicore
“Grand Central,” a new set of technologies built into Snow Leopard, brings unrivaled support for multicore systems to Mac OS X. More cores, not faster clock speeds, drive performance increases in today’s processors. Grand Central takes full advantage by making all of Mac OS X multicore aware and optimizing it for allocating tasks across multiple cores and processors. Grand Central also makes it much easier for developers to create programs that squeeze every last drop of power from multicore systems.

rajalot

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
What the hell? What is with the entry level price point??

From what I understand:
$150 graphics card
$100 SuperDrive
$200 HDD
$373 processor
$150 memory??
=========
$973

So the logic board (again without wireless) and the case costs OVER $1500? I'm sorry, but Apple's ENTRY LEVEL PowerMacs used to be $1500, TOTAL. What ever happened to that? I know asking $1499 for the entry level is stretching it, especially in these economic times, but even $1999 would have been better then what they're asking for now. :(
Dude, you get DL DVD-RW for $20, memory for $120, that crappy nVidia for about $100 and 1TB of HDD costs $100 as well. We are talking sub-800 prices here.

caseys

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Now I'm really torn, I could buy an 8-core 3.2 2008 model for £32 less than the new 4-core machine. Whack the 4870 in the 2008 model and have a higher single thread clock speed. Eventually more ram too. Yes it'll be slower ram but I'll be able to use more, which will always be quicker than paging from disk!

The 8-core prices I agree are just insane for anyone that has to pay for this out of their own wallet and not by the company they work for.

Truly disappointed by the price points, I am scratching my head as to why the price jumps even with the weak £:$ ratio. :mad:

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
So far in this thread I have agreed with EVERYTHING you have said.

What a bunch of idiots. This has really made me reconsider my future with apple.

Thanks for agreeing!

I'm not reconsidering my future with them though. I've been with Apple since the 90's before SJ came back. They make a product that I really like to use in my personal and business life (graphics/web/video).

What they are doing though is making me look at buying the cheaper models they offer instead of the machines that I would usually buy. Do I REALLY need that Mac Pro now? Could I get by with a mid to high end iMac? For home do I really need to have a mid to high end iMac or could I get away with a low end iMac and a base model MacBook Pro now?

After years of using the products I've learned that bringing a system to its knees with some form of function in Photoshop or After Effects doesn't necessarily make you some stellar designer, it actually makes me wonder if you are designing that file correctly in the first place. Sure there are times when you need that extra power but at what cost overall? If I am going to cripple Photoshop on three projects a year where a high end Mac Pro would save me some time, I don't think the added thousands of dollars in cost is worth it.

Show me something in Photoshop where you NEED a Quad Core Mac Pro with 6GB of Ram to perform a function. Even in After Effects, a lot of tutorials are easily performed on MacBook Pros.

But I'm not telling anyone what they should get. It's what you feel comfortable with in your life, professional or personal.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Each CPU connects to a memory branch through it's memory controller. Each processor can access the other processor's memory branch via the QPI link between them. So yeah you could have two dual channel setups.

I think they're trying to unify connections across desktop, laptop and display products.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
So whatever happened to getting past the 3 GHz barrier anyway? I thought that was the big reason everyone was so excited about the Intel switch? But here we are still topped out at 3 GHz and only if you choose the gazillion dollar options. And just barely catching up with where Altivec was several years ago.
In the meantime, POWER 6 is at 5 GHz now and well on its way to 6.

I can see the value of the Intel switch in enabling Windows to run on Macs (after reluctant acceptance by Apple) in that I now have a realistic chance of convincing my boss to let me switch to a Mac at work since I can claim the ability to run Windows if I get really stuck with compatibility trouble. And given Apple's recent market share growth, that aspect of the Intel switch seems to have paid off for them. But as for actual computing power and cost, it sure is starting to look like walking away from IBM was a mistake. Hopefully Apple will gain enough market share to make Windows dual boot irrelevant and offer a PowerPC option again someday.

3GHz was only part of it. Apple desperately needed faster processors in their notebooks, and PowerPC just did not offer fast, efficient, low power chips.

Although everything is fine for portables now, things for the desktops looked a lot better back in the PPC days.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Try posting something that's actually useful instead of smirking smilies.

http://it.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=554

It also helps to read an article or two on the subject snide, empty comments.

Also, yes I saw the post to the Apple "benchmarks" and no, marketing brochures rarely qualify as something meaningful. In any serious forum of computing performance marketing benchmarks would get laughed out of the proverbial room.
Again, just one benchmark.

I will once again post this: http://www.apple.com/macpro/performance.html

And yes, I have read about Nehalem, and it isn't as powerful for all tasks as some fanboys seem to say. It's not the best thing since sliced bread.

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
Dude, you get DL DVD-RW for $20, memory for $120, that crappy nVidia for about $100 and 1TB of HDD costs $100 as well. We are talking sub-800 prices here.

I was using Apple's prices for adding a second SuperDrive, GPU, HDD, but you're probably right. Which means we're at $1700 for the rest of the computer. :(

Ever notice how Apple has stopped including display adapters and the like, too? You'd think prices would go down.

Anyone know if the new Mac Pro supports SLI? I saw you can add multiple graphics cards. Would be nice if you can make them work together.

It does not. AFAIK that's just for driving more displays.

caseys

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
So whatever happened to getting past the 3 GHz barrier anyway? I thought that was the big reason everyone was so excited about the Intel switch? But here we are still topped out at 3 GHz and only if you choose the gazillion dollar options. And just barely catching up with where Altivec was several years ago.

Remember Power 5/5+ Or 6 are not equivalent to the PPC chips that were in the G4/G5. They were more akin to early Power 4. The TDP of Power5/6 are a lot different, as are the boards they sit on. I doubt they could fit into a desktop machine, heck I'm surprised they've squeezed 5+ chips into J22 blades. But the roadmap for Power 7 and a few other Power systems IBM are developing are indeed v.impressive.

I would admit, I'd be interested in seeing one of our Power 595 Power-6 boxes running OSX :) It's also got 384Gb of ram in it.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
3GHz was only part of it. Apple desperately needed faster processors in their notebooks, and PowerPC just did not offer fast, efficient, low power chips.

Although everything is fine for portables now, things for the desktops looked a lot better back in the PPC days.

I agree. That's kinda why we see "PowerBook G5s on Tuesday!" jokes. Plus, we eventually learned that processor speed isn't everything. Multi-core procs do help a bit in stuff like video editing, and just simple stuff like running multiple apps at once. Now if only people can write programs that take advantage of them now (Here's to Snow Leopard!)

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
It's not about that. It is about going from a very good value workstation (price similar to those of the components at retail) to very expensive systems. You can get the same hardware for $1000 less.

Really? Apple has a secret black market you can buy from? Unless that's what you mean, then no you cannot get the SAME hardware for a $1000 less.

What you mean is that you can get something similar that does not run OS 10.5, nor will it run 10.6. in a few months.

If thats what you're interested in, then go for it.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

I can see the value of the Intel switch in enabling Windows to run on Macs (after reluctant acceptance by Apple) in that I now have a realistic chance of convincing my boss to let me switch to a Mac at work since I can claim the ability to run Windows if I get really stuck with compatibility trouble. And given Apple's recent market share growth, that aspect of the Intel switch seems to have paid off for them. But as for actual computing power and cost, it sure is starting to look like walking away from IBM was a mistake. Hopefully Apple will gain enough market share to make Windows dual boot irrelevant and offer a PowerPC option again someday.

I think this is an amusing question. In the space where Intel sells CPUs they have no competition. So what is the need to have a 4Ghz CPU? Even the lowly 2.26Ghz Nehalem CPU Intel sells can run at near 4Ghz speeds on air. They just choose not to.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Is anyone selling the last generation Mac Pro model at closeout prices? Can the old Mac Pro be upgraded to the 4870 video card?

I would love the last generation model, upgrade it myself to 24-32GB ram, and upgrade the video to the 4870 video card.

Anyone want to venture a guess on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.