Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I was just checking my 3G iPhone and I noticed a prompt that said that my Springboard Crashed and that it was now operating in "Safe Mode" and that I had a recent software upgrade that caused the crash and I must restart my iPhone and press OK or restart. When it started up again, there were twelve apps added to my homescreen that were normally on other pages...:eek:

shrubz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
I was just checking my 3G iPhone and I noticed a prompt that said that my Springboard Crashed and that it was now operating in "Safe Mode" and that I had a recent software upgrade that caused the crash and I must restart my iPhone and press OK or restart. When it started up again, there were twelve apps added to my homescreen that were normally on other pages...:eek:

My springboard crashes occasionally, usually when its being resprung. It hasn't caused me any problems, although sometimes the icons get rearranged.

Zepol

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
ive had about three crashes this week. not in the same day. but still.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
This is my first crash with the Springboard for my 3G iPhone and my v1 iPhone, so that's why I was concerned. It sounds like it's a normal thing for most of you; but I was just wondering if the new Safari 4 Public Beta had anything to do with this crash?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
This is my first crash with the Springboard for my 3G iPhone and my v1 iPhone, so that's why I was concerned. It sounds like it's a normal thing for most of you; but I was just wondering if the new Safari 4 Public Beta had anything to do with this crash?

What the new version of Safari got to do with the iPhone? :confused:

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
on my iPhone 2G 2.2.1 JB... springboard would crash when i had the notifier widget installed. however a simple uninstallation fixed this.

also i had a theme installed for dialer. can't think of what it was - but it included a 'smart' dialer' feature, which made the mobilephone crash - crippling the very core of the iPhone.

for me all i had to do is uninstall both times any apps that could logically cause problems.

i.e - smart dialer = phone
notifier widget = latest springboard enhancement

just keep track of what you install so when you encounter a problem you don't have to go crazy!

The Admiral

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
i noticed this behavior for a few days last week and it appears to have been caused by the five-icon dock

clearchaos

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
i installed a theme that came with a bunch of blank icons for arranging my springboard, but when i try to delete them my springboard crashes and goes into safe mode.
i guess i'll do a restore tomorrow.
:(

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
i installed a theme that came with a bunch of blank icons for arranging my springboard, but when i try to delete them my springboard crashes and goes into safe mode.
i guess i'll do a restore tomorrow.
:(

That's exactly what mine did today 3X already. On top of that it rearranges all of my icons and moves the bottom row of each of the nine screens; who knows which page they'll show up on??? :confused::confused::confused::mad:

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
That's exactly what mine did today 3X already. On top of that it rearranges all of my icons and moves the bottom row of each of the nine screens; who knows which page they'll show up on??? :confused::confused::confused::mad:

9 pages! damn! i have four pages and thought that was kind of a lot...anyways, my Springboard has crashed only twice in the past six or so months, but luckily the icons have never rearranged. it seems like it's normal though if the Springboard crashed that icons can get moved.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
9 pages! damn! i have four pages and thought that was kind of a lot...anyways, my Springboard has crashed only twice in the past six or so months, but luckily the icons have never rearranged. it seems like it's normal though if the Springboard crashed that icons can get moved.

Yeah, I know that's a ton of apps, but I just decided to delete some of the ones that I don't seem to use that much or possible duplicate or similar card games, but keep the better of the two. So, now I've got several pages without a bottom row of icons.....:p

iMacbook108

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
Springboard Crashing

I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen on iOS 4 and this is happening to me too. :( I noticed that it started happening when I installed 'LiveClock' from Cydia. This also happens when I install 'WeatherIcon' from Cydia. and the only way to get rid of 'Safe Mode' is to uninstall them. I trying re-booting and re-springing and nothing different happened. But I want 'WeatherIcon' and 'LiveClock'. Help?:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0034.PNG
    IMG_0034.PNG
    252.9 KB · Views: 141

hefty

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
New guy here..... I'm having the same issue (Liveclock), how do I delete those from my phone?
Thanks

Quintor

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Kind of on the same note. I have an iphone 3g running ios 3.1.3, and i have springboard crashes atleast once every few days. My question is, will alot of crashes harm my phone in the long run?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Kind of on the same note. I have an iphone 3g running ios 3.1.3, and i have springboard crashes atleast once every few days. My question is, will alot of crashes harm my phone in the long run?

Crashes can't harm your phone at all. But I would recommend finding the culprit of the constant crashes and remove it. They are annoying and it's just going to keep happening.

Quintor

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Hey thanks, i appreciate it. I was really worried the crashes might somehow damage software on the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.