Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cybertron3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
I am currently running a G5 PowerMac 2x2.3Ghz (This one). It is hooked up to 2x17" apple LCDs. I have upgraded the ram to 6.5GB (It was getting slow with 1.5GB and, well, go big or go home).

I am now looking at the high end iMac. I don't really need all the power of the mac pro anymore, but I certainly like to keep a bunch of apps open. I usually have Safari, Firefox, iTunes, an FTP app like Transit, a text app like TextMate and something to code in like Eclipse or XCode open at the same time. I might even add parallels to the list with a new intel mac. Will the new iMac be able to handle all that? Any ideas from current iMac owners?

Thanks in advance :)

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I am currently running a G5 PowerMac 2x2.3Ghz (This one). It is hooked up to 2x17" apple LCDs. I have upgraded the ram to 6.5GB (It was getting slow with 1.5GB and, well, go big or go home).

I am now looking at the high end iMac. I don't really need all the power of the mac pro anymore, but I certainly like to keep a bunch of apps open. I usually have Safari, Firefox, iTunes, an FTP app like Transit, a text app like TextMate and something to code in like Eclipse or XCode open at the same time. I might even add parallels to the list with a new intel mac. Will the new iMac be able to handle all that? Any ideas from current iMac owners?

Thanks in advance :)

i could do most of that comfortably with my old (still in service, about to become a kitchen computer in my new place) white core duo imac w/2 gb of ram (i run xp in fusion)

seriously, the intel machines over the ppcs are like night and day

any of the imacs will be fine for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.