Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I have a Dual 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, (3) 1TB HDs. The Mac Pro serves my needs well. I picked up a Dual 2.0Ghz G5 from work for very cheap. All I need to ad is RAM and HDs. Any suggestions on what to use it for? Turn it into a server? What would you guys do with it? Thanks

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
a living room media server/player? Plug it into an LCD/Plasma tv and away you go

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I thought about a home server, but the reason im hesitant is because I have the mac pro that can do that. Wouldn't it be easier to use the Mac Pro for a server instead? Maybe Im not understanding what you guys mean by server. Does anyone else have a similar setup?

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I was also thinking of getting a powermac g5. Do they have a major problem with the logic board? My g4 still works wonderfully, and I want to know if the powermac g5 is reliable, or will it break down within 2 years.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
I was also thinking of getting a powermac g5. Do they have a major problem with the logic board? My g4 still works wonderfully, and I want to know if the powermac g5 is reliable, or will it break down within 2 years.

Flakier than a leper colony in a sandstorm. Obviously not ALL of them fail, but it's entirely too common.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6

Flakier than a leper colony in a sandstorm. Obviously not ALL of them fail, but it's entirely too common.

The 2.3GHz DP (not dual-core) Power Mac G5's are supposedly the most reliable of the G5's from what I have heard. :)

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
The 2.3GHz DP (not dual-core) Power Mac G5's are supposedly the most reliable of the G5's from what I have heard. :)

Anecdotally that's abotu right. The 1.8s are the spawn of satan. 2.0s I can't actually remember how those are.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Anecdotally that's abotu right. The 1.8s are the spawn of satan. 2.0s I can't actually remember how those are.

I had a 2.3GHz DP Power Mac G5 for about 1.5 years, then sold it for a first-generation MacBook Pro. Still, when I owned it, it was a rock solid machine and plenty fast for my uses - I just wanted mobility for college. :)

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Legacy this, and legacy that

I have the dp 2.0 G5, and it has been running 24/7 for 4 years. I was running Folding at Home at 100% on both processors until about 3-4 months ago. Use yours for legacy hardware (pci cards) ,cheap legacy hardware of any kind, and legacy software that won't upgrade or the developers won't upgrade anymore.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
The powermac g5 that I am looking at is the Dual 1.8 with 4 ram slots for a maximum of 4GB. So you guys are saying that the dual 1.8 is NOT reliable? What goes wrong, the PSU, logic board? How long until something usually goes wrong? The one that I am looking at is I believe the second revision (June or late 2004, i dont remember). Thanks.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Well, until it decides to run itself into a wall (which I do not know if it will happen), it should be a good server. Or, if you are into Linux, there are some PowerPC distrobutions that would run on it. I dunno, I'd like one to run Final Cut Server with and tend to archived data.... But that is just me. I'd probably have the thing die on me just as I got it intergrated into the workflow.

Still, running it as a server with drives in JBOD (if you can/if it makes sense), then you could potentially reclaim data if she did decide to push up pansies.... or have a couple large, seperate discs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.