Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cunknown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Hello all, Just joined this site but i have been on here many many times throughout the years and what a great site it is.

Well my question is What is the best midi controller to use with Logic pro 8 ?

I have been doing much research on this and had been told by afew people that the m audio kontrol 49, but i just checked with another very good site that reviewed it and they said it is now discontinued and that not all the software it comes with is mac compatible, also that it is a very fragile controller.
God knows why many people recommended it to me.
Anyway i have been producing for a while now, in the past i used cubase but recently have been using Reason but now i have just ordered Logic Studio and i cant wait to get stuck in.

I have recently moved abroad and could not bring my Akai mpk 49 with me.

So i am looking for a midi controller that is compatible with Logic pro 8 100%! I want it to transpose etc and all the other usual things but i really want to be able to cycle through Logic's sounds using the controller.

I am hoping there is one that i can just plug in and walaaaaaaa it all works smoothly!

The other thing is i have seen afew Korg tritons around 2nd hand were i am and i am not to sure wether i can use that as a midi controller with Logic studio.

I really hope there is someone here who can help me solve this query so i can just start laying down sounds as soon as logic arrives which should be within the next few days.

Any help will be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.
Thankyou

Peace Love Unity Respect

adameels

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Milton Keynes
well I've been using an M-Audio Oxygen8 v2 for a few months now. It's great, and very cheap if you buy online. It has 25 keys, but I'm sure there's one similar with 49 keys.

Edit: been using it with Logic recently and seems to be very easily programmable and an ideal match

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Peace Love Unity Respect

indeed! :)

If all you want is a control surface then shine on the m-audio kiddy key-boards. There's usually not enough functionality. Here's a page to read:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/control_surfaces.htm
http://www.sweetwater.com/c808--Mixing_Control_Surfaces

I've heard some pretty good things about the Evolution UC-33 as being a great budget surface!

If you need keys in your rig and something like the Korg M3-61 is too much then just get the cheapest one with the most buttons that fits your space. :)

BTW, among other things i have an M-Audio oZone audio interface and midi keyboard / controller and like it fine! I didn't mean to bag on M-Audio specifically. ;)

PS: almost everything is going to work well with Logic Pro so you can free yourself from the assumption that one will be better suited to that app than another. :)

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
I use an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88. I wanted a full size, and although the weighting is a bit different than a piano I thought it was a good value for the money.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So i am looking for a midi controller that is compatible with Logic pro 8 100%! I want it to transpose etc and all the other usual things but i really want to be able to cycle through Logic's sounds using the controller.
The other thing is i have seen afew Korg tritons around 2nd hand were i am and i am not to sure wether i can use that as a midi controller with Logic studio.

Any keyboard that has a MIDI jack should work. However you would need a MIDI/USB interface for the Mac. I'm using an m-audio "uno" but the one made by EMU is as good. Both are cheap. EMU makes a 2x2 interface. If you are going to have a control surface and a keyboard you may want that

If you are going to buy a keyboard you first have to ask yourself if you want "synth" style (soft non-weighted) keys or Piano-like weighted hammer action keys.

You will have to read the section in the Logic User Manual on midi control surfaces. Logic is very configurable. But it you want to make it easy there is a section that lists specific devices. Get one of those and it becomes a "cook book" like setup. But really Logic should be able to work with any MIDI device. I would how ever stick with "real" midi and not buy a keyboard that has USB. I don't need special drivers for a 5-pin jack but I do for some of the USB interfaced ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.