Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmanca

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
mac master

I haven't read any of the links or done comparison of the site.

However, I might caution the Mac Rumor editors: I believe that this kind of denigration of character is actionable under slander and libel laws. While he may sure look like a cheat, are you willing to bet a legal penalty? Maybe the original poster is a fraud himself. Maybe the fraud-ster is able to beat the charges in court. Maybe etc.

Bottomline: I wouldn't allege fraud on a specific individual(s) on my servers, unless I could personally guarantee that he was in fact fraudulent, and I'm guessing that none of the Mac/ editors can, no matter how much it looks that way.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: mac master

Originally posted by lawmanca

However, I might caution the Mac Rumor editors: I believe that this kind of denigration of character is actionable under slander and libel laws. While he may sure look like a cheat, are you willing to bet a legal penalty? Maybe the original poster is a fraud himself. Maybe the fraud-ster is able to beat the charges in court. Maybe etc.

Bottomline: I wouldn't allege fraud on a specific individual(s) on my servers, unless I could personally guarantee that he was in fact fraudulent, and I'm guessing that none of the Mac/ editors can, no matter how much it looks that way.

I don't believe anyone who has anything to do with the operation of this site has said anything, one way or another, on this matter.

Forum members are free to say whatever they want and this type of discussion comes nowhere near libel/slander.

loubapache

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
Michigan
macwhizshop.com, mac-bestbuys.com, macmastershop.com all illegit.

I am a long time PC user and have not gotten my first Mac yet. However, these people operated out of Blaine, WA almost bit me. This, BTW, is my very first post. It is a bit long. So sorry in advance.

They operate under several web domains, http://www.mac-bestbuys.com, http://www.macmastershop.com/, etc.

I am a professor of physics in a college here in Michigan and I could get the Apple educational discount. I was looking for the iBook 933 MHz model. From Apple, it is $1199 + 6% tax = $1271. This place advertises (on the website) the same model for $999 with free shipping.

It sounded too good to me true so I sent an e-mail to sales@macmastershop.com, their sales e-mail address asking about if the iBook is new, with warranty, in stock, etc, on 1/27/2004. I could post all the e-mail communication I have had with them if you are interested, but for the sake of this post, let me just tell you my experience. Neil Hadsworth (neil@macmastershop.com) sent a reply to my e-mail very quickly (on the same day) and told me that the iBook is in stock, new, with warranty, and is qualified for free-shipping. I did more research because I was debating between the 14” iBook or the 15” Powerbook but eventually decided to get the iBook because of the “low” price.

So on 2/7/2004 (Saturday), I sent Neil another e-mail, asking if the iBook is still in stock for $999 and if the 1-year warranty is through Apple. Neil replied on the next day and told me that it is still in stock and the warranty is through Apple. I replied to Neil and told him that a lot of people on the MC discussion forums are interested in what they advertise but concerned about the too good to be true philosophy. He replied back that I need not worry and I will be treated satisfactory.

So on 2/8/2004, I placed an order on their website for the iBook 933 MHz. The website did not have shopping cart so I printed out the order form with the order number etc as a PDF file. I filled out the PDF file with my credit card information and sent it back to Neil.

Things all of a sudden changed. Before I sent in the order, Neil was very responsive. After I sent in my credit card information, I received NO communication, whatsoever.

I was not worried because I know my credit card has excellent protection. I was concerned because I needed the machine. If I cannot get from them, I would need to get from someone else.

So on Monday, 2/9/2004, I e-mailed Neil again about the status of my order and I received no reply. On Monday evening, I called their number (360)364-0966. No one answered the phone and this number shares with their fax number so I left a message.

On Tuesday, I still received no communications from them. So I called again and left another message. I also e-mailed both Neil and their sales e-mail address and again received no reply.

On Wednesday morning, I talked to my credit card company about all this and I was told tat no one has attempted to authorize the $999. I then fired another e-mail to both Neil and their sales e-mail address. I told them what I did, will let others know, and warned them not to try my credit card.

This time, I received a reply from Neil. He told me that my credit card declined their authorization in his words “As we explained in previous e-mails to you”. This is a lie. First of all, they did not even attempt to authorize on my credit card. Secondly, he never e-mailed me. I replied back and told him that no one attempted to charge my credit card, the card is in my name, the billing address and the shipping address are the same, and my credit card is good. I do not expect to hear from them again.

Here is what I figured it out. It is a scam. They love people who pay by cash, cashier’s check, etc, but they do not like credit card. If you want to give them a try, USE YOUR CREDIT CARD. I hope you get a positive experience with them.

Although I did not lose anything financially, I am quite a bit exhausted, emotionally.

I am still Mac-less.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: mac master

as rower said, i don't think any of this would come anywhere near libel/slander.

and do we even have one good reason to believe you have no ulterior motives? a newbie with one post? :rolleyes:

alleging fraud on (somewhat) constructive basis is not libel/slander. in fact, many on this thread have already been victimized. i believe many of us have uncovered enough about this character to be plenty justified of our thought process.

if you've followed this thread and links, you'd clearly see it as well. i think you owe us to check at least some of the links and parts of this thread before posting.

lildancer

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Medford, OR
macwhizshop etc.

I agree.

Hey Lawmanca, maybe you need to do some research like the rest of us have , before spouting off about claims of slander and libel.
I too, like many of us here, am a victim of outright FRAUD by MacWhizshop.

No, this is not a claim, this is not slander, this is fact: I paid over $1000 for a computer that I never received. That's called INTERNET FRAUD (just ask the FBI), among many other Federal offenses). Since there are Federal and state authorities involved in this case, as we have all filed the appropriate claims, we are stating facts of our experiences in ordering computers from these fraudulant companies.

As victims, our hope is to advise, warn others, and help people who have been part of these scams. We all have proof to back our claims.

The word "Slander" in the dictionary means giving a malicious or FALSE report of someone. There is nothing false about the money these criminals have taken from us.

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
I didn't get burned, but I was close. Man, I had bookmarked MacWhizShop already for a later purchase! And then I discovered this thread a while ago...

Does anyone know what happened to that scumbag? Did he get caught or did he simply change his domain and lives on happily as macmastershop.com? Is it that the same a**h**e from the Mac Whiz or just a pitty me-too?

After reading loubapache's post above I get chills at the idea that someone out there still keeps on shamelessly cheating unsuspecting customers out of their hard-earned money and although the whole scheme is obviously known, nothing is being done about it! Aren't the authorities informed? How can they allow "firms" like those to continue ripping off people right under their eyes?

Sven

PS: And lawmanca, when some people here report their experiences and post their opinion about those shady operations, it's not Slander it's Freedom Of Speech.

spinoza

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
Thanks guys, I was just about to order from them.

Thanks guys, I was just about to order from them. I got the exact spiel as loubapache, but luckily I found this thread before ordering.

Somebody should notify froogle.com about them!

akimbo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
close call

i am in new zealand. i was in the process of ordering a powerbook and accessories from macmastershop.com. i found them at bizrate or some similar site and thought it was ok. i became quite trusting when it was claimed that certain accessories i wanted weren't available - afterall, why would a scam artist pass up the opportunity to make more money? my friend also emailed them and enquired about ordering an ipod, but was told there was a wait of 3 weeks. i also tried to research the address he gave in blaine, washington and saw that it was for a mall type setup, cool. there were, however, no traces of mac master in the blaine yellow pages, weird considering the 6 years that the business had supposedly been operating for and similarly no trace of his name anywhere in washington state. thankfully my credit card didn't have the funds last week to process the order. this morning i emailed the "owner" dennis to tell him that the funds are now there. after i sent the email i tried calling on the number provided, but got a message saying that due to overloading on the lines, no one was able to take the call. for some reason i thought i'd do another search and found this thread. talk about luck! i have been able to cancel my card before this f**ker had the chance to process the order. it'll be interesting to see if he has the balls to email me and let me know that the transaction didn't happen again...thanks guys. you saved me close to US$3000...

akimbo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
more

ok, having read most of the thread leading to my post, i went back to all the correspondance i had with dennis charalambides. indentical m.o. to all the macwhiz issues earlier. he claimed i didn't have clear funds in my credit account to make the transaction and because i actually didn't have the funds in my credit card account, i thought nothing of it. with the benefit of hindsight i see now that this is the response i would have gotten anyway. well here are the details he gave me for the bank wiring process:
------------------------------------------------
Bank Wire Transfer Instructions

Wire transfers can be submitted with the help of your banking institution.
Provide your bank with the information below to properly transfer your
payment.

Note: Please be advised that for international wires, your bank may require
and charge you for the use of an intermediary bank.
Bank of America Customers: Funds must be sent to this account as a wire
transfer and not as an account to account transfer.

Bank Name: Peoples Bank
733 H Street
Blaine, WA 98230
U.S.A.

ABA Routing #: 125104425
Credit Account Name: Dennis Charalambides
Credit Account #: 5081016031
Additional Instructions:
(include the order transaction number on the wire transfer)

hopefully there is someone in washington (blaine specifically) who can do something with this info. good luck and get the word out there that macmastershop.com is a fraud as well.

lawmanca

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
macmastershop.com

This is the second time I've purchased from macmastershop.com.
The powerbook I purchased was shipped promptly, in good condition, and for a great price. I ordered on a Thursday and received my items on Tuesday; very fast! I must admit that the condition of the shipping box was not very good, though this may have been the fault of the shipper and not macmaster.
Paid the first time with my credit card and second time with electronic wire transfer to macmaster's Horizon bank account.Nevertheless, a positive experience.

loubapache

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
Michigan
Hi, All:

I would be extremely surprised if lawmanca is not one of them in macmastershop.com.

He has made a couple posts in this forum and all are about his "good" experiences with macmastershop.com.

He does not have to have an IP address associated with something in WA to be one of the macmastershopers. In this day and age, he can be anywhere.

If we were all in the dark ages, macmastershop.com can pull tricks like this but now we all have been given the very same "customer care".

If you want to try out macmastershop.com, use a real credit card, not a debit card or any other payment methods. They do not want to commit credit card fraud.

If it is too good to be true, . . .

loubapache

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
Michigan
A few things to keep in mind

HI, all:

If you are going to buy something expensive from an unknown online retailer, think about the following:

1) Does the e-retailer have a secure online credit card transaction mechanism?
2) Does the e-retailer answer phone calls?
3) Does the e-retailer have a separate fax line?
4) Is the website up-to-date? A good e-retailer should have their website tied to some kind of inventory database.
5) Does the e-retailer have favorable reviews by others?
6) Whatever your common sense tells you.

In the last e-mail from macmastershop.com, he stated that

<<
We use a third party credit card authorization provider to process our credit card orders. If they flag orders as "high risk" we immediately cancel the order. This is what has happened with your order. We have no way to verify what the problem is, so we rely completely on what they advise us.

Since this has become more of a problem in the past month we are going to be changing to more reliable merchant account that should be in place by Feb 25 or sooner. The whole transaction will take place online. No need to fax your credit card. You will know real-time if it is authorized or not.
>>
Today is Feb 25 and I see no such system on their website.

After my long post detailing my experience with macmastershop.com, I was offered the following by Neil:

<<
What I am willing to do to make up for lost time and show you that we are selling exactly what we advertise, I will ship the iBook to you on Feb. 23 regardless of our merchant account being setup or not. A tracking number will be sent to you the same day it ships. Once you receive your iBook and are satisfied with the product you can go online and 'complete payment'.

If you are OK with this arrangement I can set one aside for you. You should have it delivered at your door by Feb. 25-26.
>>
I told him NO because I know this is not his final trick. Now thinking back, I probably should say YES to see what he does next.

So, Neil or whatever your real name is, if you are reading this (I am sure you are), send that new, factory sealed, with Apple warranty, 14" G4 933MHz iBook to me. Thanks. BTW, you will get your money if you send me a real iBook, not some earthy dust from WA.

I am not saying you should not try macmastershop or other unknown e-retailer. Just use caution. Never send money before you received goods or services except credit card transactions.

Sometimes, even scammers will try to satisfy a few customers so not all reviews are bad. They can use these a few “lost money” cases to “justify” what they are doing.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: macmastershop.com

This is the second time I've purchased from macmastershop.com.
The powerbook I purchased was shipped promptly, in good condition, and for a great price. I ordered on a Thursday and received my items on Tuesday; very fast! I must admit that the condition of the shipping box was not very good, though this may have been the fault of the shipper and not macmaster.
Paid the first time with my credit card and second time with electronic wire transfer to macmaster's Horizon bank account.Nevertheless, a positive experience.

go away and think about the people you (or your "friend") are scamming. shame on you.

i'm sure it's a complete coincidence in your first post about libel/slander that you failed to mention your positive buying experience. all of a sudden, your second (and third) posts are contrary to many others' experience. :rolleyes:

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
lawmanca

lawman - an officer of the law

ca - web abbreviation for Canada

Are you trying to impersonate a court official? If you really are a Canadian, charged with upholding the law, identify yourself.

If not, quit trying to intimidate us.

m

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by winwintoo
lawmanca

lawman - an officer of the law

ca - web abbreviation for Canada

Are you trying to impersonate a court official? If you really are a Canadian, charged with upholding the law, identify yourself.

If not, quit trying to intimidate us.

m

you know, i was kind of wondering the same thing... there was one guy before, named jamekurtis, that posted earlier. him and lawmanca are the only two with positive reviews of macwhiz/macmaster while we have more than a dozen victims. (both are newbies with these macwhiz/macmaster related postings only.)

jamekurtis was allegedly from Los Angeles. lawmanca can be LA wmanca or lawman CA. who knows.

kanker

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
Indy
lawmanca has 3 total posts. All posts are in the MacWhiz threads, 2 are the exact same post in two different threads, the other one was the slander/libel threat. Anyway, I think we can safely say lawmanca is definitely a plant.

wwjdsong

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
Mac Master

I was very skeptical about Mac Master after reading some of the comments posted on here. So instead of passing judgement I emailed them and asked them what their response was to the comments. I got a email back from the customer service manager Neil explaining that they tried to please every customer that purchased through their store. So after several days of consideration and a couple email conversations with Neil I decided to give them a shot.

I told Neil that I would only place my order through him; he agreed and gave me his direct line to reach him at. Called on a Tuesday morning, ordered the iMac 20" plus free shipping. Gave him my information. Also made a bank transfer to pay for it. Anyone that has ever done one knows how much of a pain and time consuming it usually is. But Neil assured me that with no major difficulties they would ship the next day. I though to myself yeah right. But as luck would have it, got an email about 6PM saying they had shipped. Checked the Fedex tracking and sure enough they had shipped and would be here that Friday! That was only 4 days between my order date and delivery! that is oustanding.

Got my new iMac as Friday! I could not have asked for a smoother transaction! I wrote an email to Neil thanking him for his efforts and would like to share it with you:

Neil,

Got my iMac today, just in time for my birthday, and I am very impressed. To me 90% of what makes a good company is customer service; the rest is just an added bonus. Not only did you have the best price on the internet, but also gave me one of the most enjoyable online buying experiences I have had.

I will post good feedback about your company any where I can. I have also made a post on a large Mac Forum, Macrumours.com, about the prices and the service I experienced. I am completely grateful to you and the rest of your staff for the excellent pricing, service and delivery. I will indeed be doing more business with you in the future. Thanks again.

Would most definitly recommend for any online purchase.

God bless,
Anthony

loubapache

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
Michigan
wwjdsong:

It will take many first-time registers like you for this forum to change their view on macmastershop.com.

I think I am a honest person. My experience with Neil points directly to four letters, SCAM!

As I said, sometimes, scammers will try to do something extraordinary so to hook others.

It is very hard for me to believe that someone in the US, buying a Mac, not use a credit card but rather use wire transfer.

akimbo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2004
yeah right

very interesting that wwjdsong decides to a) register now and b)post here. the timing couldn't be better. if the customer experience was so good, then why is he/she going to so much effort to find this thread. when you've made an online purchase, you don't go searching the web for forums that expose the outfit you bought from for fraud so that you can portray them in a better light. if wwjdsong had been a member for a reasonable amount of time and had a history in this forum, they'd be more believable. i received a very threatening email, ie. a death threat over night from this prick after i exposed him in this thread. if anyone would like a copy, please email me. the sooner this clown is off the streets, the better.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
wwjdsong:

why don't you wire me some money? i'll get you a sweet deal too. and you have my words. :rolleyes:

could you give us the number for the direct line to "Neal" you are talking about? could you post the tracking page of UPS/FedEx/etc (with your personal info erased, if you care) here so we can see that something like a 20" iMac had been shipped from macmaster to your house? (they keep the record for a while, so it should still be there. but why do i suspect you won't find it anyway? :rolleyes: )

edit: i realize that replying to these "trolls" are kinda dumb and borderline spamming. but i hope we have many more who will avoid purchasing from this shop by keeping this thread up near the top.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: yeah right

Originally posted by akimbo
i received a very threatening email, ie. a death threat over night from this prick after i exposed him in this thread.

right, this guy will blow all of his scam money to fly to NZ and track you down... lol.

man, this is one of those times i wish i was all-powerful - this scumbag would be condemned and instantly vanished from the face of the planet.

wwjdsong

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2004
loubpache:

I am simply stating my experience with Mac Master. I had come accross this forum when researching about this company. Since no one had actually said they had been scammed by Mac Master I took a chance as explained in my first post.

Yes I am a newbie but so are you loupache and akimbo. Have you lost anything to Mac Master? For all we know you and akimbo could be the same person or maybe the competition? trying to tarnish Mac Master's business because they are selling at better prices than you.

Anthony

Originally posted by loubapache
wwjdsong:

It will take many first-time registers like you for this forum to change their view on macmastershop.com.

I think I am a honest person. My experience with Neil points directly to four letters, SCAM!

As I said, sometimes, scammers will try to do something extraordinary so to hook others.

It is very hard for me to believe that someone in the US, buying a Mac, not use a credit card but rather use wire transfer.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
so can i see a copy of the tracking page?

read the rest of the thread and you'll see ample reasons why many of us suspect macmaster. you may have been an exception but at this point, with the evidence we have here, the burden falls on macmaster and it's "supporters" to prove itself not to be a scam.

anyone (newbie or not) posting about them getting scammed or otherwise left feeling uneasy after dealing with macmaster automatically carries more credibility than one or two posts on how good they were because no one gets hurt by staying away from potential scams.

For all we know you and akimbo could be the same person or maybe the competition? trying to tarnish Mac Master's business because they are selling at better prices than you.

what's with the defensive tone/hypothesis ("tarnish?") regarding a company that you supposedly have no personal stakes in? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.