Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey Ladies and Gents....

I currently have gmail and ymail (yahoo) installed on my iPhone.

I tried to figure out how to put hotmail or live.ca account on my iPhone but have no idea how to configure any of the settings to make that possible.

Can someone please give me a step by step on how to accomplish this task?

All I know....or at least I think I know, is that it's a POP3 account (even though I have no idea what the hell that means lol)

Please help!

Thanking the kind person or persons in advance!

Cheers,

James

PS....my account address is james.00@live.ca

thanks again guys.

lavadranzer

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Update to 2.2.1.
Them go to mail, add account, and just type in your info like you did for your other accounts. Worked for me.

bartleym

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Try This

go to other under the provider options then on the pop3 tap type in your name address
and in incoming mail sever try : pop3.live.com or pop3.live.ca/pop3.hotmail.com /ca user name and paseword are your email details and outgoing email sever try smtp.live.com /ca

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I have a US Hotmail account (hotmail.com), and all I did to add it to the iPhone was supply my username and passworkd in the mail setup screens. The phone somehow found the POP and SMTP servers automatically. I don't know if that helps with a .ca account or not, though, but I thought I'd offer it, just in case. I couldn't find the information about those server names on the Hotmail site, so I just tried it as I described and it worked.

sault

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
I have a US Hotmail account (hotmail.com), and all I did to add it to the iPhone was supply my username and passworkd in the mail setup screens. The phone somehow found the POP and SMTP servers automatically. I don't know if that helps with a .ca account or not, though, but I thought I'd offer it, just in case. I couldn't find the information about those server names on the Hotmail site, so I just tried it as I described and it worked.

WOW!!! it actually works! it didn't used to! :D i have a @msn and it worked:)

Canuckeast

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Adding live.ca to iPhone

I went through the mail settings, chose "other", filled in the account information. It failed to verify and opened the setting screen. Make sure you choose the pop tab, then fill in the required information using "pop3.live.com" and "smtp.live.com". Worked for me.

shounak

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Iphone live.ca and live.com account / mail client setup

Hey folks.

Here's a working solution I found.

Simply go to settings on your iphone

Go to settings, create a new mail account.

Enter your basic information
NAME
USER NAME xyz@live.ca or live.com
YOUR PASSOWRD *******
Description xyz account

Now in the next page,

POP account information
NAME aosindason
Address xyz@live.ca or xyz@ live.com
Description aosidnoasin

HOST NAME(Incoming mail server) POP3.LIVE.COM
USERNAME xyz@live.ca or xyz@live.com {specify the email! wont work with just the username!)
PASSWORD *****

Out going mail server is SMTP.live.com
No need to add username and password here!

save it- it will ask you "wana proceed without ssl?" SAy no, then save , save again.

Then go to outgoing mail server>primary server> SSL ON check port , it must be 587>DONE

Then go to advanced >incoming settings> SSL ON> server port 995

That's it!-
Your are done!

Remember key things,
SSL must be on for both servers, ports as specified above for all live.com and live.ca accounts. It must work!

Cheers,
shounak deshpande

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Sorry to pull a necromancer on this thread, but I've been banging my head for hours trying to figure this out, and after reading the last posters post, I finally got it. Thanks dude!:)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They now support Exchange Protocol where you can sync mail, contacts and calendar. You should check that out.

Gallamist

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
I have done the above and I still can't send any emails from my phone via hotmail.

I have a hotmail.ca email address and I can recieve just can't send..

When I try to send an email from my phone it says

" the email address i am trying to send to has been rejected by the server"

My incoming and outgoing mail settings are pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com with ssl ON in both and the ports are both correct.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I have done the above and I still can't send any emails from my phone via hotmail.

I have a hotmail.ca email address and I can recieve just can't send..

When I try to send an email from my phone it says

" the email address i am trying to send to has been rejected by the server"

My incoming and outgoing mail settings are pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com with ssl ON in both and the ports are both correct.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

Have you tried setting it up as an exchange account? If it supported by exchange ActiveSync, then set it up as an exchange account. Way easier and gives you push contacts, mail, and calendars too.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Most hotmail accounts do not have pop. As far as I understand it unless you pay for premium service you do not have pop. If they did then apps like mbox mail will be of no use. Some old accounts might but I doubt it.

********EDIT***********

Apparently they changed it :) I just tested it on my phone it works :) I have a live.ca account and it works no issues.. I sent and received.

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/08/30/hotmail-iphone/

Last edited:

Gallamist

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
Thanks...I did try the exchange and it tells me the same thing.

My phone used to work with my hotmail.com but I had a virus on that account and it's been shut down by microsoft so I opened up a hotmail.ca account and it doesn't work the same...weird.

Maybe i'll drop in the apple store here and see if they can figure it out for me ...thanks for you help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.