Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qdefutbol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I made my resume in Word on my Mac (Microsoft Office 06) and when I opened it on a PC with vista it looks terrible. All the formatting is off and the fonts are different. Any solutions?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Hi there...

First off, there isn't an '06 Office (that I am aware of)
It is either 2004 or 2008 for the Mac
The PC versions are 2003 and 2007

But to answer your question... if you want your look to stay the same, you might want to .pdf your document

Beyond that, make sure both machines have the same fonts being used
Are you using any unusual formatting?

What actual versions of Office (Word) are you using on the Mac and the PC?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
Yeah, 04 and 08 as far as I know also. .PDF files will work, or you can print it out...? Maybe use WINE and install the windows version of MS Office so nothing changes.

qdefutbol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
ah ok, then I have Office 2004. I thought that's what it was anyway, but a friend of mine who bought it at the same time assured me we have 06. Shoulda gone with my gut.

Anyway, I'm not sure which version of office is on the PC I'm using but my goal is to make it look the same no matter what. I will be emailing my resume to various potential employers and I want to make sure it's going to look the same to all of them.

Maybe a pdf would be the best way to go, but my next question is...how do you do that?

Thanks for the help

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
On the Mac, just use the print command
You will have the option to save as a .pdf

Yes, if you are sending it around, .pdf is the way to go

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
One thing to keep in mind is formatting: are you using tabs and tables, or are you hitting the space bar and Return key a bunch of times to line things up? I've done a lot of back-and-forth work between Word for the PC and Word for the Mac and have found that the way a document is formatted--not just what's on the page--is crucial in cross-platform conformity. But, yeah, when all else fails PDF usually does the trick (unless the recipient needs to be able to edit the document, which is not an issue with a resume).

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Yep pdf's will work, BUT alot of employers who accept resumes by email will specify that they want only .doc documents..............

probably because they have a bunch of typical peecee-using duh-huh's in HR that don't know any betta and/or are too friggin lazy to download & install Adobe Reader :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.