Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
So someone stole my iPhone today at the gym. I put my sweater down to play basketball as normal. An hour later I went to check if I had received any e-mails and noticed my phone was missing. I called it, and it was turned off.

a) What should I do now

b) What is the cheapest option for replacement

c) Should I go the ebay route ?

d) I'm pretty bummed, :(

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
So someone stole my iPhone today at the gym. I put my sweater down to play basketball as normal. An hour later I went to check if I had received any e-mails and noticed my phone was missing. I called it, and it was turned off.

a) What should I do now

Sad to hear. You should treat your iPhone like money, don't just leave it laying around. My advice is for you to buy from apple.

Jeonat

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
United Kingdom
Here in the UK the networks have an agreement to block the IMEI numbers of stolen phones, assuming you have it recorded or AT&T has it recorded on your account. If so, they can probably bar the phone from working with any SIM card on their network, and if the system over there works similarly to the one here, other networks can pick up the data and also bar them on their networks.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
File police report. Bring police report with your serial to apple store for Mac Genius to make note under the product serial.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Dude, that sucks. I never let the iPhone out of my sight. It's always on my hip where I know it's safe enough. Did you have a passcode lock on it? If not, I would change my email password and anything else you had on there.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I've been sending text messages / e-mails to the phone all day

at around 5pm I will go to the apple store and block the IMEI

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Blocked the IEMI

went to AT&T to get a new sim card, to use in my backup phone

I asked them to check the phone log, the person didn't make any calls after stealing my phone

I went to the Apple store and they said they will not sell me a new subsidized phone only $399 an $499 , which I think is BS, considering I'm still under warranty :(

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Blocked the IEMI

went to AT&T to get a new sim card, to use in my backup phone

I asked them to check the phone log, the person didn't make any calls after stealing my phone

I went to the Apple store and they said they will not sell me a new subsidized phone only $399 an $499 , which I think is BS, considering I'm still under warranty :(

Warranty doesn't cover theft, they didn't leave it lying around, why should they pick up the tab?

Check your, home insurance, they might cover it.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Warranty doesn't cover theft, they didn't leave it lying around, why should they pick up the tab?

Check your, home insurance, they might cover it.

they stole my phone and money out of my sweater , its not like I left it in plain sight

I don't own a home

thanks for the help. i guess

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
they stole my phone and money out of my sweater , its not like I left it in plain sight

I don't own a home

thanks for the help. i guess

They took it with out you knowing it so....

Why should manufactures cover theft, just can't figure that one out? Personally I think Apple kind sucks with their warranty and the moisture stickers and refusing to repair or replace the phones that have problems which has nothing to do with moisture. I really don't think they should be expected to replace stolen phones, they aren't a charity. The fact is they never sell a phone for $399 they sell them to AT&T for full price and AT&T subsidizes the phone price.

Renters policy?

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here

a) What should I do now

Maybe try to talk to the gym manager. If you put your jacket somewhere (not in showers or changing rooms ect) if they have cameras tell him that your iPhone was stolen and ask them to give the police the tape of the person taking it. Or just have the manager cross reference tv video and the guy buying something, or scanning their membership card. ( sorry never gone into a gym so if unaccurate don't attack me.I'm Only 14.) Please reply if it works.

TwoSpiritedBi

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Maybe try to talk to the gym manager. If you put your jacket somewhere (not in showers or changing rooms ect) if they have cameras tell him that your iPhone was stolen and ask them to give the police the tape of the person taking it. Or just have the manager cross reference tv video and the guy buying something, or scanning their membership card. ( sorry never gone into a gym so if unaccurate don't attack me.I'm Only 14.) Please reply if it works.

ahahaha.. I'd love to see this work. You CANT put cameras in a locker/shower room, or anywhere near one for that matter.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
File police report. Bring police report with your serial to apple store for Mac Genius to make note under the product serial.

This is so far the most feasible way.

On the other hand, that really sucks that it got stolen OP.

jpk32092

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2008
Boston

a) What should I do now
You can sign in to your AT&T account online and suspend the account. Also, notify your local police department.

For an iPhone replacement, Apple store, eBay, craigslist, etc...
If you want a different phone, go to AT&T.

idk, I don't use eBay but other people have good experiences with it.

Sorry

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
To buy a replacement just go to the apple store and buy it like any other new customer, when you activate it in iTunes you simply put your phone number and you are back in the game.
I believe you shouldn't be paying any extra.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
To buy a replacement just go to the apple store and buy it like any other new customer, when you activate it in iTunes you simply put your phone number and you are back in the game.
I believe you shouldn't be paying any extra.

The iPhone is activated at the Apple store before you leave and this will setup a new account. There is no more activating via iTunes with the 3G phone.

iPhone envy

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Did you buy with a credit card in the last year?

A lot of credit cards have built in insurance policies for purchases that people don't know about. I think Visa and MC certainly do. If you used a credit card to buy the phone, call your credit company and report the theft. See if they have some protection plan in place already. Can't hurt to ask.

From Visa: http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/benefits/bft_purchase_security.html
Purchase SecurityPrevious Page
Effective 3/1/08.

Please note: This benefit is available on Visa Signature, Visa TravelMoney, Visa Reloadable Prepaid, and Visa Payroll cards as listed on the right, and may also be available on other card products. Check with your issuer to see if you have this benefit.

Shop with confidence
Many Visa card purchases are protected against theft or damage for the first 90 days from the date of purchase.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I filed a police report and called my Credit Card company

Pretty much everyone told me the same thing.

A) Find another Phone

b) Pay $399/499 for a New Iphone

kinda blows

I'm going to keep researching this, there has to be a loophole to paying 200/300 for an iphone and still keep my same number

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
first off why does there HAVE to be a loop hole?? I dont understand why you think that other people should pay for your mishap. It SUCKS to have things stolen, but i dont see you going to the bank, or the ATM to ask them to reimburse you for the money you left there too.

The only LOOP hole were the ones mentioned above.. the credit card company, homeonwers insurance, or renters insurance.. if you dont have those, then you just have to buy a new phone.

You CAN get an iphone for $200, but it will not be the 3G.. those are a lot more.. but you just have to see it as a lesson learned. People are idiots and will take anything thats not bolted down. Chances are you walked into the gym looking at your emails or whatever, and then put it down.. someone SAW you and said, look at that idiot. Just leaving his phone around and took it. They probably will NEVER even turn it on, they will sell it and buy a legit phone.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
You CAN get an iphone for $200, but it will not be the 3G.. those are a lot more.. but you just have to see it as a lesson learned. People are idiots and will take anything thats not bolted down. Chances are you walked into the gym looking at your emails or whatever, and then put it down.. someone SAW you and said, look at that idiot. Just leaving his phone around and took it.

yeah... well your fingernails are dirty :p
(https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/664076/)

anyways, thanks for the help guys. I will wait until OS 3.0 is released to make my final decision. I'll probably end up buying an unsubsidized 8GB iPhone for $400

Mods you can close the thread

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL

i do feel bad b/c i would be bummed if it happened to me.. and someone stole my brother's iPhone once before, so I do understand the pain.

however, a sweater is not exactly the best anti-theft deterrent. when i play basketball... i leave my iPhone in my car, along with wallet and sunglasses and anything worth some money. i dont even leave iPod lying around. If it's gonna get stolen, someone is gonna have to break into my car.

would you go out to dinner, then if you had to go to the bathroom, leave a couple hundred dollar bills under your napkin? of course not!

never underestimate how disgusting and desperate some people are.. no matter how they appear, people will stab you in the back... right in front of your face

canuelo

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
Sunny Spain
Gym

The Gym should have on property security and or insurance against theft of property belonging to 3rd parties. I would ask the gym for a copy of the policy which by law they must give you as you are a user of this facility. You may find that they can make a claim, after all you was paying them a fee to use the gym it should sate that if you are a paid user you are insured while you are inside the building in case of fire or accident. Worth looking into. I had my camera stolen in an Airport Restaurant in Spain and they had a security guy on the door he did not see it and the security cameras did not pick it up. After my lawyer looking into their insurance policy they was liable for personal objects stolen while on "Their" premises but not the airport premises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.