Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
This is a continuation of part 2

doucy2 said:
I started this becuase i want to see what other people of my same age have in their setup.

A few ground rules:

1) Use [/B] tags in stead of [img] tag for large images, or even better: attach them to the post and use the [B][attach][/B] tags.

2) Please do not QUOTE images. Snip them out if you can.

3) If you've already posted your setup in part 1 or 2 there's no need to repost it here, unless the setup has changed (significantly), of course.

4) Keep it civil, and remember the general [rules]forum rules[/rules].

5) Enjoy. ;)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
The secret police seems to have deleted the post I was planning to edit... so...

Picked this not-so-little beauty up last night. Cost less than a good used MacBook and it will make a great Hackintosh as soon as I get some blank DVDs.

Anyway, here are the specs of it:

-- Rocketfish (made by Lian Li) full tower case
-- 1000W Enermax Galaxy PSU
-- Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 motherboard
-- Core 2 Quad Q6600 stable @3GHz, 1.23V
-- 2GB DDR3 1333MHz memory
-- two 150GB WD 10,000 RPM hard drives in RAID 0
-- Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler
-- Radeon HD 4350 (I do not game)

I recently turned 15.

Attachments

• DSCN1902.JPG
    DSCN1902.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 3,892
  • DSCN1903.JPG
    DSCN1903.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 3,723
  • DSCN1904.JPG
    DSCN1904.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 3,603
  • DSCN1908.JPG
    DSCN1908.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 3,578

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The secret police seems to have deleted the post I was planning to edit... so...

Picked this not-so-little beauty up last night. Cost less than a good used MacBook and it will make a great Hackintosh as soon as I get some blank DVDs.

I recently turned 15.

finally got that puppy running hey?? nice nice! any bencharks to compare to the new MP's :rolleyes:

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Looks like I am trading blows with a 2.66GHz quad Mac Pro.

As for the second PC, it is close to the quad G5.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008

I recently turned 15.

:eek: That is one big case... How are those 10krpm drives?? I'm planning to get one for my PowerMac.

Anyway this is my workspace:

3356152811_a5d6a38783.jpg

Still love PPC Tech... Can't really complain :p

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
They are very, very nice!

Yes, the case is big. Very big. It astounds me how big the case is. It takes 'full tower' to a whole new level. :D

The drives are great. Installing OS X took about eight minutes. I have them out of RAID right now because Vista doesn't like RAID and I don't want to mess with the drivers.

Nice setup, by the way!

maclover001

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada

I recently turned 15.

Is that a huge case or a tiny motherboard?

uhohzitzcooky

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Raid0 works well with Vista. Well, on the Intel side anyways. I notice you were using the GSATA on the board instead, try using the standard SATA ports and Intel's RAID controller instead to see if you get better luck. I've heard some not so great things about GSATA and it's jmicron chipset.

I have the Rocketfish case too. Picked it up for about $50 when they were being cleared out at Best Buy, so not bad at all. Just a bummer that there's no removable MOBO tray.

They are very, very nice!

Yes, the case is big. Very big. It astounds me how big the case is. It takes 'full tower' to a whole new level. :D

The drives are great. Installing OS X took about eight minutes. I have them out of RAID right now because Vista doesn't like RAID and I don't want to mess with the drivers.

Nice setup, by the way!

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Is that a huge case or a tiny motherboard?

Standard ATX motherboard, giant case.

Raid0 works well with Vista. Well, on the Intel side anyways. I notice you were using the GSATA on the board instead, try using the standard SATA ports and Intel's RAID controller instead to see if you get better luck. I've heard some not so great things about GSATA and it's jmicron chipset.

I have the Rocketfish case too. Picked it up for about $50 when they were being cleared out at Best Buy, so not bad at all. Just a bummer that there's no removable MOBO tray.

ARE YOU M'FING KIDDING ME?????

I was using the effing Intel drivers for the Jmicron ports! No wonder I couldn't get it to work!!!!

Lovely case though.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Quoted from the other thread.

dmmcintyre3 said:
I tried externals with the iBook and they did not work great. I hated using the 1024*768 screen while at school or away from home or when I wanted out of the 90-100º room during the summer.

I can barely work on my 1280*854 PB and need an upgrade (meaning higher resolution!) And an external costs more money and I would probably have a better chance of getting a $1300 computer than a $1000 computer + $500 24 inch monitor. Plus an external stays at home while a laptop screen goes with you.
I suppose you've never had to use a clamshell iBook G3 for a month. 800*600 is all you get.;)

I guess I'm not really a power user, but 1024*768 seems a pretty decent resolution for the things you're wanting to do. I'm guessing you run Leopard, so you have Spaces to help with things like that. (Or maybe I'm thinking of Stacks...eh, it's been too long since I've used Leopard to remember)

All I am saying is a MacBook would be a downgrade from my PB in many ways.

My PowerBook cannot even stay plugged in by itself. It manages to unplug itself!

The prices will come down on 30" too and I like to use my old laptop as a desktop so in 2 years when 30" are $500-600 I will be forced to use the PB if I get a MB.
That's a good thing I suppose.

When I bought my PB I thought I was getting a 1440*900 screen

I hate video adapters!

No comment about the matte screen!
I could have sworn the PowerBooks had better resolution then 1024*768 as their max. maybe I'm wrong though.

I am using the backlit KB to type this post!
That would be a loss, I admit. But really, do you need it? I can type pretty well in the dark with my iBook. Or better yet, keep the light on. ;)

How many times is this power adapter going to fall out! Three times during this post so far

I will loose:

my PC card slot.

FW 800

metal case

the good speakers my PB has

100 GB 5400 RPM HD

15 inch screen

Backlit KB

I will gain

3 video adapters instead of one (VGA)

A power port that will actually stay connected with the cord

Smaller size (Which is bad to me I tried small with my iBook and did not like the low resolution screen that came with small size)

A power port that works

a 60 - 80 GB 4200 RPM HD

DDR 2 (but only 2 GB)

A power port that will stay connected
Well, it is a trade off, but you do have to make a decision. If your PowerBook didn't have so many problems, I would recommend you keep it. But if it really does have all those issues, it sounds like a MacBook would be a good thing for you.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I could have sworn the PowerBooks had better resolution then 1024*768 as their max. maybe I'm wrong though.

My PowerBook has a 1280*854 screen but I thought it was 1440*960 when I bought it.

MacBook actually has less resolution than my PowerBook.

suppose you've never had to use a clamshell iBook G3 for a month. 800*600 is all you get.

I would put a 1280*1024 screen in it!

If your PowerBook didn't have so many problems, I would recommend you keep it.

The only thing wrong with my PB is the power cable falling out which is just I need a new power adapter. I need a second one anyway and the one I have will work fine at a desk because the computer does not get moved after it is put there unlike on my bed where it gets moved all the time and that is when it falls out. If you thought I had alot of things wrong with my PB other than the power adapter falling out I was meaning the iBook. The power adapter shorting out was the PowerBook but I had that fixed.

The power adapter did not fall out this whole post.

Apple must have used the bottom case as a heatsink in this PB.

I have a 45 watt power adapter for my PowerBook and I need a 70 watt one anyway as my CPU is 100% and only 99 MA/h is going to the battery for charging. 99 MA/h going to a battery when 1000 MA/h left to charge! 10:00 to go!

Now it is plugged in but the battery is going DOWN.

I unplugged it and the screen dimmed temporarily and then brightened back up. So did the backlit KB Was there a power surge inside my PowerBook?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
My PowerBook has a 1280*854 screen but I thought it was 1440*960 when I bought it.

MacBook actually has less resolution than my PowerBook.

I would put a 1280*1024 screen in it!

The only thing wrong with my PB is the power cable falling out which is just I need a new power adapter. I need a second one anyway and the one I have will work fine at a desk because the computer does not get moved after it is put there unlike on my bed where it gets moved all the time and that is when it falls out. If you thought I had alot of things wrong with my PB other than the power adapter falling out I was meaning the iBook. The power adapter shorting out was the PowerBook but I had that fixed.

The power adapter did not fall out this whole post.

Apple must have used the bottom case as a heatsink in this PB.

I have a 45 watt power adapter for my PowerBook and I need a 70 watt one anyway as my CPU is 100% and only 99 MA/h is going to the battery for charging. 99 MA/h going to a battery when 1000 MA/h left to charge! 10:00 to go!

Now it is plugged in but the battery is going DOWN.
Oh, it's just the charger? Well then get a new charger silly.
:p
I unplugged it and the screen dimmed temporarily and then brightened back up. So did the backlit KB Was there a power surge inside my PowerBook?
Nah, that happens to my iBook all the time.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
That's what happens when you have it set to dim the screen when running on battery power and have an ambient light sensor. It dims, and then comes back to the same level... kind of counter intuitive but that's how it is.

Frogg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Ehh, im a long time watcher and first time poster (I know how much of a cliché that is)

Im 17.

Just bought a mac last Friday after wanting one for 2 years. Im pretty proficient in Final Cut Studio 2. I mostly use my PC for editing with Adobe CS3.

Dell XPS 420
Macbook 2.0 160gb 2gb ram

Its a bit messy at the moment, but until i get the new desk it will be. :p

Also what do you guys think of getting a mac pro? I'll be making some big bucks producing some shows for a local cable company, and I was looking at the pro.... (add Final Cut to that)

Attachments

• S3011146.JPG
    S3011146.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 560
  • S3011145.JPG
    S3011145.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 422

Jacqueclaude

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
England
You'll have to excuse the poor camera quality, I don't know what I've done to the thing. It used to work great.

The toshiba tecra M2 (the one on top) is a marvellous machine. I've had it for lord knows how long, and it's never let me down. It even runs Vista quite well. The other Tecra underneath it is beyond dead. I spilled a cup of coffee over it. I'm going to see what I can salvage from it.

The iMac is my first mac. Had it since septemberish, and I'm quite pleased with it. Could have gotten better spec for my money, by getting a Windows machine, but oh well. I just like the aesthetics of iMacs.

Ah, and my sony vaio..thing. I'm not even sure what model it is, or spec. I just bought it for use it on the go, which is rare.

The picture of Leona Lewis, by the way, is indeed signed. Just felt I needed to mention that so I don't look like some prat who frames pictures he found on google, or something.

Oh, and I'm 16.

geekindisguise

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Oklahoma
My setup. Specs in sig.

I'm a Mac, and I'm 15

haha I get it. It's like what Microsoft does with their commercials with the little kids and how easy it is to use them. Then they say "I am a PC, and only 3 years old." The only difference is that 3 year olds wouldn't be able to do all that. Well, I don't think they could.

shanshor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
haha I get it. It's like what Microsoft does with their commercials with the little kids and how easy it is to use them. Then they say "I am a PC, and only 3 years old." The only difference is that 3 year olds wouldn't be able to do all that. Well, I don't think they could.

haha yeah. I can't take full credit for it though, saw someone else do it and i thought it was funny :)

yeah i wonder how many times those kids had to go through that script... hah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.