Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Site News

Old Feb 25, 2004, 06:24 PM   #1
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Emails not being received

MacRumors' Forum IP has been (inappropriately) blacklisted by SpamHaus.org

Of course, MacRumors isn't involved in any spamming activities, but the offending (Spammer) IPs were in the same "block" and so the entire block has been blacklisted.

I've contacted my provider who state that the offending accounts have been terminated and that they are working with SpamHaus to try to remove the blacklist... but in the meanwhile, the forums' emails will bounce from many places due to the overreaching blacklisting.

This means people will not be getting activation emails for new accounts or new reply notices.

I'm not sure how long this will take to resolve.

arn
arn is online now   0
Old Feb 25, 2004, 06:37 PM   #2
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Ouch, that's gotta bring pain to "the land down under..."

Last edited by King Cobra; Feb 25, 2004 at 06:44 PM.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Damn, that's not right. So was this just a last 3 digits of the ip or more?

D
Old Feb 25, 2004, 07:01 PM   #4
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Damn, that's not right. So was this just a last 3 digits of the ip or more?

D
sounds like it.

Ouch, that is bad...

Hopefully they will remove the ban soon.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2004, 07:49 PM   #5
Doctor Q
Administrator

A domain I manage was blacklisted temporarily because of spammers in the same IP block. Getting to the right person to straighten it out was a challenge since my e-mail to their site was blocked! So I contacted the person in charge via a web form and got the domain whitelisted (a special entry overriding the more generic blacklist). But it sometimes takes 24 hours for such things to take effect.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 07:51 PM   #6
awulf
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to awulf Send a message via AIM to awulf Send a message via Yahoo to awulf Send a message via Skype™ to awulf
I'm still receiving e-mail notifications from Mac Rumors.
awulf is offline   0
Old Feb 25, 2004, 08:59 PM   #7
Stelliform
macrumors 68000

Bah, I have this happen to my clients all of the time. It isn't any fun. Good luck on getting it resolved Arn!
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:20 AM   #8
themadchemist
macrumors 68030

Is there any way we can spin this to blame Bill Gates, Microsoft, or the Windows platform?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:30 AM   #9
Megaquad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by themadchemist
Is there any way we can spin this to blame Bill Gates, Microsoft, or the Windows platform?
Of course, because of following reasons:
1) Only evil Windows users send spam.
2) Evil Outlook on Windows allows viruses to distribute themselves.
3) If everyone would use Mac we would live in a perfect world with no spam. Again, blame evil Windows users, Microsoft and Bill Gates himself.
Megaquad is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:12 PM   #10
zync
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by Megaquad
Of course, because of following reasons:
1) Only evil Windows users send spam.
2) Evil Outlook on Windows allows viruses to distribute themselves.
3) If everyone would use Mac we would live in a perfect world with no spam. Again, blame evil Windows users, Microsoft and Bill Gates himself.
If everyone used a mac we'd have the same problems....it's because the windows markestshare is so huge and they have people like Gates and Balmer making decisions that cause these problems to "arise"....

Anyway I had wondered why I've not received emails since like Christmas....I'm not sure exactly how it's affecting me though as my email is set up to me (ugh) AOL account....maybe I'll use my own accounts elsewhere....like my .com site...yeah that'll do...I'll give it a try....would be nice to be able to click on the damn links anyway...stupid AOL....god, why does it have to suck so much and why do I have to live in an area sans broadband!?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 06:30 PM   #11
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
im still getting email notifications.
hmm...
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:45 PM   #12
mms
macrumors 6502a

I'm still getting them too.
mms is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2004, 08:53 PM   #13
zync
macrumors 68000

I'm getting them now that I changed them to my site's email....
Old Feb 27, 2004, 01:09 PM   #14
0$X
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, this is a nightmare practically all web host providers have to deal with -- over zealous blacklist admins. The reason many (probably most) members are still getting email from the forum is that not all ISPs utilize blacklists. Having an IP blacklisted doesn't automatically block all email from that IP -- only email sent through an ISP that subscribes to that particular blacklist.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 01:42 PM   #15
zync
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by 0$X
Unfortunately, this is a nightmare practically all web host providers have to deal with -- over zealous blacklist admins. The reason many (probably most) members are still getting email from the forum is that not all ISPs utilize blacklists. Having an IP blacklisted doesn't automatically block all email from that IP -- only email sent through an ISP that subscribes to that particular blacklist.
Yep, and obviously AOL does that, which really annoys me because, sure it'll block a little bit of spam, but I'd rather not have things blacklisted from me because AOL decided to! That pisses me off....they don't even 1. let you know they do it and 2. allow you to change it!
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:09 PM   #16
Doctor Q
Administrator

Getting blacklists and whitelists right is a matter of successive approximations in a constantly changing environment. I don't blame ISPs and spam-filtering services for getting it wrong sometimes, but I do wish they would make it easier to make corrections quickly, in a matter of minutes instead of days.

Is there some point at which MacRumors will know that the blocking is stopped?
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:14 PM   #17
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Looks like it's lifted.

But on a seperate note, it seems AOL has been blocking Macrumors emails for a while now.

arn
arn is online now   0
Old Feb 27, 2004, 06:41 PM   #18
Stelliform
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
Looks like it's lifted.

But on a seperate note, it seems AOL has been blocking Macrumors emails for a while now.

arn
They are pretty tough to clear up. I usually ended up changing IP's on my sites to clear the problem.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 02:42 AM   #19
zync
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
Looks like it's lifted.

arn
UHUH! You said a mouthful there, mine had been blocked since like December! I had been participating in a highly active thread and when I hadn't gotten an email in a few days I dropped into my CP and saw that like 2-3 pages of posts had gone past me

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Site News