Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intellijel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
I am stuck deciding between an early 2008 15" MBP and a newer 15" unibody one.

I was aware that the performance differences were not that huge but the selling features for me were:
-more durable structure (I am rough with my laptops)
-Faster FSB
-easier to upgrade the HD
-and better graphics card.... so I thought until I read some threads on here.

On this site all I see are a long long list of complaints and issues people have with the new unibodies. No one seems to be raving about how much they love their laptop.

I was planning to pick up the unibody (used) from someone I know tonight at a good price. Should I not waste my money and get one of the early 2008 models instead??

Does anyone actually like their unibody MPB???

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
I love it. Best design I have ever used. Even the "problems" like the sharp edges aren't that bad. Remember, a lot of people come here to complain or ask questions. It's worth it, man. Go for it! Get a UMBP.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
There are many threads about this topic. use the forum search before posting.
I do like mine, and why the used one is been sold? Sometimes saving some bucks cost you more in the long run.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I am stuck deciding between an early 2008 15" MBP and a newer 15" unibody one.

I was aware that the performance differences were not that huge but the selling features for me were:
-more durable structure (I am rough with my laptops)
-Faster FSB
-easier to upgrade the HD
-and better graphics card.... so I thought until I read some threads on here.

On this site all I see are a long long list of complaints and issues people have with the new unibodies. No one seems to be raving about how much they love their laptop.

I was planning to pick up the unibody (used) from someone I know tonight at a good price. Should I not waste my money and get one of the early 2008 models instead??

Does anyone actually like their unibody MPB???

this is me raving about how much i love my Unibody MBP RAVING!!

i said this on another thread

your not going to find many threads saying how much they love their computer because it would really just be a tally. more ppl are inclined to write something when they have a problem. 95% of the uni MBPs that go out are probably fine. its that 5% that you always read about.

dont let that scare you. get a new one

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
I cannot compare, only have a Unibody MBP (and had a MB for a few days before that), but keep in mind that forums like these generally tend to be a place where criticism/problems/annoyances are ventilated way more than positive experiences. If you'd look up my posts, you'd get the impression that I have a problem with temperature, fan noise, trackpad etc... While the general impression of my MBP is VERY positive. I really find this MBP the best computer/laptop I've ever had.

So yes, there are issues but do not forget that the majority of (satisfied) customer are the ones that do not frequent forums and if they do, they generally do to ask about (mostly minor) issues.

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
I am very happy with my UMBP. I have owned a 12" PowerBook, a 15" MBP, two 17" MBPs, and a MBA and they all provided good service (one 17" and the 15" MBPs are still in the family and used daily).

I have owned and used many PC laptops through the years and they were just ugly tools. Apple laptops have personality (in my opinion) and with OSX they are in a league to themselves.

Go join up.

Neil.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I love it...up until I find a hardware related problem and back it goes. I share the same frustration with others, the more Apple gets "bigger" their QA falls. PowerBook > MacBook Pro in terms of QA. Sure OS X is an awesome OS but then you add the hardware...I hate saying it but having gone through 3 MBP's (something that I thought I would NEVER be exposed to, once/blue moon type thing) but it's really disappointing. Take away the hardware problems and you have a pretty solid portable regardless of price.

jovanboi

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I'm pretty satisfied with my 15". Few weird things here and there in the beginning, but I think it's probably the fastest computer I've ever owned.

genmic

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Maybe I'm just too much of realist, but isn't asking if anyone actually likes his/her MBP, a bit like going on the BMW forums and asking if anyone loves his/her 7 series? The people on this forum are the people who love Macs. People like me, who have been through multiple hardware issues, multiple build quality issues, and yet still love Apple computers.

I could rave all day about how much I love my UMBP, the keyboard, the trackpad, the design, etc... But to perfectly honest, the complaints on this forum aren't isolated incidents. Apple still has some kinks to iron out. As long as you know that going in, then I would say go for it. You may not get a "perfect" computer, but you will still probably love it.

stieny

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
My unibody MBP is my first Mac computer. It has been by far the best electronics purchase I've made so far besides my iPhone.

I don't know a whole lot about Macs but I would venture a guess to say that it would matter much about which one you decide to get. I love my unibody though!

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Maybe I'm just too much of realist, but isn't asking if anyone actually likes his/her MBP, a bit like going on the BMW forums and asking if anyone loves his/her 7 series? The people on this forum are the people who love Macs. People like me, who have been through multiple hardware issues, multiple build quality issues, and yet still love Apple computers.
Right, but a BMW is hand built in Germany. A Mac is mass produced in a Chinese sweat shop where they probably make blowdryers for Wal-Mart when they don't make Macs. Check out some crash tests of Chinese cars on Youtube and let me know if you would step into a Chinese-built BMW.

No matter how much it's "designed in California" and penned by Jonny Ive, there are build quality issues that we wouldn't be talking about if Macs were made at the BMW factory, so perhaps that's why the discussion about Macs is a little more schizo.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
After going through 5 laptops this year, i am very pleased with my 15" unibody. in my eyes, it is the perfect laptop.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Right, but a BMW is hand built in Germany. A Mac is mass produced in a Chinese sweat shop where they probably make blowdryers for Wal-Mart when they don't make Macs. Check out some crash tests of Chinese cars on Youtube and let me know if you would step into a Chinese-built BMW.

No matter how much it's "designed in California" and penned by Jonny Ive, there are build quality issues that we wouldn't be talking about if Macs were made at the BMW factory, so perhaps that's why the discussion about Macs is a little more schizo.

Good point, but missing the reason they have them built in China. The union factory workers, which some don't even have a GED making $50 an hour are why they are built in China/Asia etc... I don't blame Apple or any US company that outsources work. I blame the greedy bastards running the unions that somehow feel high school grads should be paid $50 bucks an hour to work a factory job? The entire reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are in the situation they are in is because for every $50/hour worker on the line there are 10 more sucking up a pension averaging $40 bucks an hour for LIFE!

That's how a Chevy pickup truck costs $40,000 bucks and falls apart in less then 3 years. They have OVERPAY the union workers and cut costs in materials and quality to even be halfway competitive with imports. The same thing applies to Apple. I can't imagine how much the MB line would cost if they were paying the spoiled, greedy union wages here in the states.

Be sure to thank your local Union shop for your "sweat shop" built products! They are helping out so much...

Americans bitch about jobs going over sea's but are they really that blind to not see why it's happening? The Auto industry is now a shining example of why. Maybe they will pull their head out of the sand and realize Jimmy Joe and Bubba probably shouldn't be making $50 an hour to put in one bolt per car every 10 mins a vehicle passes by their work station.

*** @OP :) Perfectly happy with my 17" UMBP, works perfect zero issues.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Good point, but missing the reason they have them built in China. The union factory workers, which some don't even have a GED making $50 an hour are why they are built in China/Asia etc... I don't blame Apple or any US company that outsources work. I blame the greedy bastards running the unions that somehow feel high school grads should be paid $50 bucks an hour to work a factory job? The entire reason GM, Ford and Chrysler are in the situation they are in is because for every $50/hour worker on the line there are 10 more sucking up a pension averaging $40 bucks an hour for LIFE!

That's how a Chevy pickup truck costs $40,000 bucks and falls apart in less then 3 years. They have OVERPAY the union workers and cut costs in materials and quality to even be halfway competitive with imports. The same thing applies to Apple. I can't imagine how much the MB line would cost if they were paying the spoiled, greedy union wages here in the states.

Be sure to thank your local Union shop for your "sweat shop" built products! They are helping out so much...

Americans bitch about jobs going over sea's but are they really that blind to not see why it's happening? The Auto industry is now a shining example of why. Maybe they will pull their head out of the sand and realize Jimmy Joe and Bubba probably shouldn't be making $50 an hour to put in one bolt per car every 10 mins a vehicle passes by their work station.

*** @OP :) Perfectly happy with my 17" UMBP, works perfect zero issues.
That's partly true... but then again, quality cars are built in Europe which is every bit as unionized as the US, if not moreso. And far from all of them are premium cars like Audi, BMW and Mercedes. In the UK there are factories that build Nissan, Toyota, Peugeot, Citroën, Mini Cooper and other brands, some of which are really cheap, but they certainly don't fall apart after 3 years. So there must be more to it with US manufactured cars than just the unions...

Apple could afford to build their machines in Europe and keep the prices the same if they could give up some of their profit margin, but they're hell bent on having the most insane profit margin in the entire computer business by charging premium prices and STILL making the stuff in China, whereas normally it's an either-or deal - if BMW were to move their manufacturing to China, the country where they make cat toys from cat skins(!) and fake fur from real fur, there is no way on earth they could justify the price tags or maintain their reputation.

So there's two parts to it, the greed of union workers *and* the predatory greed of Apple and its stockholders. I love their products but man, their greed is such a turnoff, give them a couple of years and they'll find a way to charge you extra for the power cable and make you pay 1 cent for each keystroke or mouse click.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
That's partly true... but then again, quality cars are built in Europe which is every bit as unionized as the US, if not moreso. And far from all of them are premium cars like Audi, BMW and Mercedes. In the UK there are factories that build Nissan, Toyota, Peugeot, Citroën, Mini Cooper and other brands, some of which are really cheap, but they certainly don't fall apart after 3 years. So there must be more to it with US manufactured cars than just the unions...

Apple could afford to build their machines in Europe and keep the prices the same if they could give up some of their profit margin, but they're hell bent on having the most insane profit margin in the entire computer business by charging premium prices and STILL making the stuff in China, whereas normally it's an either-or deal - if BMW were to move their manufacturing to China, the country where they make cat toys from cat skins(!) and fake fur from real fur, there is no way on earth they could justify the price tags or maintain their reputation.

So there's two parts to it, the greed of union workers *and* the predatory greed of Apple and its stockholders. I love their products but man, their greed is such a turnoff, give them a couple of years and they'll find a way to charge you extra for the power cable and make you pay 1 cent for each keystroke or mouse click.

Some good points, but doesn't change the fact it's not illegal to make money, that is kinda the entire point of being in business. I'm not sure how Apple has "predatory greed" they don't force us to buy their products? We have other options, not like say umm oil companies? That would be closer to sticking it to us when in some respects we have to buy gas to get to work, buy food, take kids to school etc..

Apple makes a luxury item. They make a profit at it, not sure how this is predatory. My understanding of predatory practices would apply to situations like the rolling black outs in California back a few years ago. The deliberate actions taken to create false supply and demand. Apple doesn't force anyone to buy a Mac, nor do they "short" the market of computers then raise the price.

Then again everyone hates a company when they are successful and while they love their products and want to buy them, they can't afford them, or wish they were cheaper. That's human nature, hell I wish I had the money to buy a 750 series BMW but those greedy bastards want near $90k for one! WTH is that? See how that works? I don't think BMW is using "predatory" pricing, I think they feel their car's are worth $90k for that model and if people are buying them, they are probably right.

Same goes for Apple, sure they do have some quality issues, but if your looking at any forum and basing your judgment on people here talking about problems that is so biased it's not even realistic. For every person complaining about a bad GPU there could be 50 or 100 perfectly working machines. Apple will sell something like 6 million laptops in 2009, my guess is less then 1% of those owners will ever visit a website/forum.

Forums are full of people with problems, not happy users because those people are USING their machine for more productive things :)

One final note, the forums are usually filled with more tech minded people and teenagers/young adults with somewhat limited incomes. I'm the former, tech minded, a bit older with an income that lets me buy things like a $2500 computer and if I'm happy with the machine, the customer service should I need it and the quality of what I bought. I have no issue's with their pricing. I did my research, I've used the product and the price is more than justified based on my years of experience. I am paying more to NOT use a Windows machine. That to me is literally worth hundreds of dollars. When Apple's OSX or machines show me they are not worth the higher price they fetch, I'll buy a differnt brand machine. :)

genmic

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009

Apple doesn't force anyone to buy a Mac, nor do they "short" the market of computers then raise the price.

This is so OT, but as I soon as I read this I couldn't help but completely disagree. How may people have said the only reason they buy a Mac is OS X? I'm sorry but Apple milks that operating system for all it's stable, shiny goodness, by cheaping out on hardware and specs. And when Pystar came into the picture, threatening Apple's control of OS X, well we know how that's going...

So maybe I'm not "forced" to buy a Mac, but you have to admit there is not much alternative.. I think a better analogy would be if BMW patented the technology of navigation systems. So if you wanted a navigation system you had to buy a BMW. Well I think it would be safe to say they could charge a much higher price than it cost them to actually make the navigation system, simply because you can't get it anywhere else.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Some good points, but doesn't change the fact it's not illegal to make money, that is kinda the entire point of being in business.
Oh, absolutely. I'm not a communist - more elbow power to people who make a lot of money. But there's a tipping point for everything. There's a perfectly sized pizza and then there's one that's just enough over the top to make you puke. There are funny tasteless jokes, but some are so tasteless you stop laughing. And then there's healthy money-making instincts, and there's over the top greed that just becomes creepy and evil, where the obsession with profit becomes so extreme that it takes a life of its own.

Take rock stars. I have no beef with the fact that some people who make great music are swimming in money. They deserve it. But then there's people like Gene Simmons of Kiss, whose greed is so monumental I'd definitely check my pockets if I bumped into him. His mind is singularly focused on money. If an old lady was dying next to a 5 dollar bill, he'd pick up the bill and walk away even though he has millions and millions in the bank. He's the only artist I know of who refused to make more records because of mp3 peer-to-peer downloads. He once crashed a Kiss convention and took the exhibits because he considered them his, right in front of thousands of fans. He decided that the band should sell special $3,000 tickets to concerts for diehard fans for the honor of mingling with the band for a few minutes. You can see the greed just seeping out of his pores like pus. And I'm guessing he has written a will that dictates that he should be buried with all his money and possessions, leaving nothing for the family.

And that's what Apple has become. They're constantly on the lookout for ways to cut corners on premium products and unashamedly charge you for things that everyone else throws in for free. First they take away the iPhone dock and make it an accessory... the next time it's the USB cable. We all know computer manufacturers charge more for RAM and other options than the street price, but charging double isn't enough for Apple, no - they want SIX times the street price. They treat their store employees in ways that make McDonalds look like heaven. They have the balls to charge you a subscription fee for MobileMe, when Windows Live offers twice the functionality for free. If everyone else offers 4 GB of RAM minimum, Apple gives you 3 GB. If everyone else gives you a 640 GB hard disk minimum, Apple gives you 500 GB. They're becoming more and more proprietary and monopoly-crazy by the minute, omitting every lid, door, screw and opening, snaring you in, developing extra scratch-prone surfaces so that you'll have to buy stupid protective skins in double layers so that they can suck 50 more bucks out of your pocket for 50 cents worth of silicone. And on the rare occasion where it appears they're almost engaging in competitive pricing, like when the Mac Mini was first released, you just know that there's a catch. And sure enough, looking at the fine print you found that it had a 4200 RPM hard drive and a 32 MB video card, at a time when not even the bottom of the barrel consumer desktop from Dell had such lousy specs... it's like Apple got a bargain on unsellable components that were on the way to the garbage dump, and thought up a way to turn it into a bare-bones computer and pretend they were being generous for once.

I can't really think of another company that gives me that sickening Gene Simmons feeling. I have no problem giving up money to Microsoft, Logitech, Dell, whatever, because they don't give me that creepy blood-sucking, Terminator-eyed, bottomless greed vibe that Apple does, so I always feel a bit reluctant and queasy when I buy an iPod or other stuff from Apple, like I just gave Hitler a friendly pat on the pack or something. Apple is the dark side of the Force, and I'm an enslaved stormtrooper.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I can't really think of another company that gives me that sickening Gene Simmons feeling. I have no problem giving up money to Microsoft, Logitech, Dell, whatever, because they don't give me that creepy blood-sucking, Terminator-eyed, bottomless greed vibe that Apple does, so I always feel a bit reluctant and queasy when I buy an iPod or other stuff from Apple, like I just gave Hitler a friendly pat on the pack or something.

I didn't quote it all due to space.. but this was a great last paragraph lol. Love the colorful description and yes I see your personal view of it and respect that. I however have not gotten to that point of, shall we say total disgust for Apple.

The crap such as the extra docks for $30 bucks, the overpriced adapters etc... I don't buy most of that crap just because it is over priced. I purchased the 17" UMBP as my desktop replacement. I had nearly $2300 invested 18 months ago in my Windows desktop and while I could build the top of the line system now for less then the MBP, this gives me portability.

I did look at other brands, at first was going to go with a Windows based machine. I've had good luck with past Sony products, not such good luck with Dell. So I priced out the Sony AW series 18" laptop.

$2598.99
and as low as $ 77.97 /month**
Estimated Ship Date 03/27/2009
how is this estimated?
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66GHz)
Microsoft® Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-bit
4 GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
DVD±R DL / DVD±RW / DVD-RAM Drive
XBRITE-FullHD™ (1920x1080) with Adobe® RGB color management
TV Tuner
WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology
Extended Battery

Same specs give or take of the UMBP, weight is 9.2 lbs vs 6.6 lb MBP

MBP has 1920x1200 resolution

Sony has DDR2 vs DDR3 memory + to Apple latest tech.

Sony has a TV tuner + for them but I don't need. Dell doesn't offer a 17" laptop that I could find? site only listed a 15.4" model. Then again in my experience Dell has been poor quality machines. I'm sure there are people happy with Dell I am not.

IF the above Sony was $2000 bucks I probably would have saved $800 and purchased it, but it's clearly not, so I tried out the MBP line as I was happy with my original MB just over a year ago, it was trouble free.

And speaking of Dell... have you checked out the Adamo? It has a slower processer, lesser specs and is HIGHER priced than the MBA... so Apple maybe greedy but they all are if you look for it :)

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Terminator-eyed, bottomless greed vibe that Apple does, so I always feel a bit reluctant and queasy when I buy an iPod or other stuff from Apple, like I just gave Hitler a friendly pat on the pack or something. Apple is the dark side of the Force, and I'm an enslaved stormtrooper.

This was a glorious derail of the topic. Terminator, Star Wars, and Hitler all in the same paragraph. Godwin's Law invoked less than 20 posts into the thread.

+1 for entertainment.

eldivino

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Go for it brother... My Late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro is my first Mac. I certainly don't regret ever buying it. On the contrary, it makes me sick to read so many complaints. I love my Unibody MBP and so will you...

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Apple could afford to build their machines in Europe and keep the prices the same if they could give up some of their profit margin

You don't want electronics built in Europe. I'd prefer a Mac built in China than Europe. When it comes to electronics, Asia is the best. My first choice, however, is Apple building everything in Japan. The quality of Japanese electronics is way better than USA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.