Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to the Associated Press, AT&T has confirmed yesterday's rumor that they will begin offering no-contract iPhone 3Gs to existing mobile customers. The phones will be priced at $599 for the 8 GB model and $699 for the 16 GB model.
The new phones will still be "locked" to AT&T and won't work with any other cellular carrier unless they're modified. AT&T will only activate them on the regular iPhone plans, which include a $30 monthly charge for data access. Prepaid service will not be available.
Apple declined to comment about whether they too would begin offering no-contract iPhone 3Gs.

Article Link: AT&T Confirms No-Contract iPhone 3G Sales

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Should be unlocked....then it well worth the price, but as long as its locked to AT&T(or not easily unlockable) 599/699 is to much

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Should be unlocked....then it well worth the price, but as long as its locked to AT&T(or not easily unlockable) 599/699 is to much

Yeah, that's far too expensive. At the risk of inciting a riot, a factory-unlocked 8 GB model costs US$470 here.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
why should they care about contracts?

anyone who starts using an iphone is going to be using at&t until the iphone is no longer exclusive to that carrier.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Why is $600 to much? People are paying more than that for them now. When you buy an iPhone on contract, hidden in the monthly price is a loan repayment for the discounted phone. Notice that if you try can cancel the contract early they ask that you pay off the load at that time. You can see how much you paid for your iPhone buy trying to cancal the contract after the first month. What do they charge for that?

So if you want a "free" iPhone just use your credit card. Yes yu will have to pay the CC loan off every mounth but people seen not to care about that.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Why is $600 to much? (...).

exactly. look on eBay - for an unlocked+jailbroken iPhone. you are looking around that price range - and the market for iPhones is very competitive right now, because of all the money that can be made from them.

however, to one who can jailbreak and unlock with ease - spending extra for the convenience of not bricking (even though.. you can't really brick) their new iPhones.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I don't get it...

No-Contract phones are generally $200 more, so they should be $399 and $499 or if $250 more (like some carriers), $449 and $549.

$599 and $699 should be for an unsubsidized iPhone useable on ANY AT&T plan (for real at these prices they should be unlocked).

Making someone pay these prices AND make them use a regular iPhone plan is just a plain rip-off... :mad:

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Who would go for this? What's the point? Ok, so you're not "locked in." Right. I get it. Now what? Who do you go to? T-Mobile? Sorry, you can't. These are not unlocked phones. So, you go to AT&T and guess what? You still have to pay them the same price plan.

So what did you accomplish? Nothing except that you paid waaaaay too much for an iPhone. But hey, at least you're not "locked in" a contract. Yey Freedom!

Contractless iPhones have been available since last year for $450. Buy the phone, wait 31 days, cancel the contract.

$199.99 for the iPhone 3g 8GB, around $75 for one month of service, $175 early termination fee. Done.

And still cheaper than this load of cow dung they are passing off.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
I don't get it...

No-Contract phones are generally $200 more, so they should be $399 and $499 or if $250 more (like some carriers), $449 and $549.

$599 and $699 should be for an unsubsidized iPhone useable on ANY AT&T plan (for real at these prices they should be unlocked).

Making someone pay these prices AND make them use a regular iPhone plan is just a plain rip-off... :mad:

well there is nobody to blame but apple for that. they decided to enter into this exclusive deal with att so that there are no officially unlocked phones sold in the US. the only phones that can use any att plan they want are those sold unlocked and unbranded by other retailers. as long as your are buying it from att (no-commitment or 2 year contract) you will be required to use the official att plan.

if apple were to offer an officially unlocked version of the iphone then you would presumably not have to use the special iphone plans.

sean845

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Will this be available in Canada on Rogers?
I have been asking this question for so long!:mad::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
?

What is stopping people from just opening a new iphone account and cancelling it when they're no longer willing to pay for it? Wouldn't that be the same exact price as a no-contract plan?

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
What is stopping people from just opening a new iphone account and cancelling it when they're no longer willing to pay for it? Wouldn't that be the same exact price as a no-contract plan?

early termination fee

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
nevermind, i think i get what you are saying

$199 subsidized plus $175 etf + other small charges = about the same?

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
well at the moment it's still just a theory, but it does make a lot of sense that i agree it could be called reason number 1:D

It is fact...all carriers doing some similar moves around the world. Its not spring enthusiasm, its new iphone. Just get your money ready...if you buying one.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
early termination fee

Yes, but...

"Effective May 25, 2008, new and renewing AT&T wireless customers who enter into 1- or 2-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat Early Termination Fee (ETF). Instead, the $175 ETF will be lowered by $5.00 every month for the term of the contract. This change will provide our customers with even greater choices when it comes to their wireless needs."

now, here is the scenario, I am not eligible for an upgrade until 12/16/2009, but if the hardware changes enough and the new iphone is worth getting, by the time it comes out (if July) I would be down to $115.00 termination fee. Now, I would have to reactivate, so that's $36.00 bringing that cost to $151.00. If the new iphone is subsidized at $299.99 and for people not qualified for an upgrade would have to pay $200 more, why not just cancel, reactivate, and purchase the new phone and save yourself $50?

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
Why is $600 to much? People are paying more than that for them now. When you buy an iPhone on contract, hidden in the monthly price is a loan repayment for the discounted phone. Notice that if you try can cancel the contract early they ask that you pay off the load at that time. You can see how much you paid for your iPhone buy trying to cancal the contract after the first month. What do they charge for that?

So if you want a "free" iPhone just use your credit card. Yes yu will have to pay the CC loan off every mounth but people seen not to care about that.

And the people who are paying that much for them now are also paying too much for them. The iphone should be $400 for a 16gb AT THE MOST. If it was around $300 it'd be more realistic. I dont understand the hype over the spacey looking big phones anyway honestly. I'll renew my contract when I see an unlocked iphone nano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.