Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
I am EXTREMELY sorry I purchased this piece of software and let it "clean" my iTunes libraary.

I listen to mainly Trance and Jazz (a weird mix I know), and this thing has completely destroyed my iTunes database. I am having to go through each CD individually to fix what it messed up.

It reassigned CD names to sometimes only 3 songs on the whole CD-making the CD appear in 2 different places in the library. Other times, it would add album artists to only SOME of the songs on the CD-Again orphaning some songs while leaving others where they belong.

I realize this software uses CDDB/Gracenote to get its song titles. That being said, Gracenote must be in complete dissarry.

I WISH I could get a refund for this piece of junk software. I do NOT recommend this software unless you have too much time on your hands and enjoy manually cleaning up what it "fixes".

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!:mad:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I realize this software uses CDDB/Gracenote to get its song titles. That being said, Gracenote must be in complete dissarry.

You know, it's pretty simple to check the contents of the CD against your own records and previously-imported files, and then correct them before importing them again. Don't try and blame a piece of software for your inattentiveness.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Thanks that was really helpful. I really don't have the time to re-import over 1,000 CDs.

The software is sold as "helpful"-it isn't. And that was my point.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yeah its as simple as that you are right-when I have over 1,000 CDs in the library.

If you don't have something helpful to say-keep your opinion to yourself-you are not adding anything to the discussion.

So what? I have 800 CDs and have just re-imported over half of them recently, and I checked and re-edited the contents of the titles and so forth before re-importing them without any problems at all.

I'm sorry that your failure to do so resulted in things going awry, but blaming software for your own failures and trying to publicly persuade others there is something wrong with the software... this needs pointing out instead of unconditional sympathy.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Was simply trying to point out that it doesn't work as advertised. Save your money-do it yourself.

Was not looking for sympathy.

And good for you that you had time to re-import 400 CDs-I don't have time to re-import 1,000.

Not sure why you are ripping me on this-I would have appreciated knowing this before I bought it, and hopefully I can give someone else some useful advise.

withe011

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks OP. I was considering buying this for my dad's computer since his song library is a mess. I will definitely steer clear now.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
What's wrong with just letting iTunes itself get names, titles, and artwork?

Why the crap would you need to use third-party software, anyway?

Because sometimes iTunes doesn't do it right. Adds wrong Artist Data, wrong genre, etc.

It appears that iTunes and Tune-up are using the same database, however, as both products produce the same type of errors.

This is especially true once you get away from "mainstream" music. Both products have trouble with more obscure titles.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Okay, so mass edit them manually. Select an entire disk, Get Info, type the title once, drag the artwork in once, and then do the names individually.

That works unless you get into "DJ" mix CDs or compilations.

If one CD is all "Rush-Signals" for example that is easy.

Try it in "Deeper Shades of Euphoria"-mixed by Jay Burnett-not so easy.

BUT-you are right-that is what I will do from now on-because the gracenote database struggles with this type of CD.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
The Gracenote database, which is used by most CD ripping programs including iTunes, is user maintained. It contains what users have typed in manually and then submitted to the database. If you do reimport your CDs and enter the proper info, submit it so that it is in the database.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
The Gracenote database, which is used by most CD ripping programs including iTunes, is user maintained. It contains what users have typed in manually and then submitted to the database. If you do reimport your CDs and enter the proper info, submit it so that it is in the database.

I was not aware that could be done-didn't know it was Wiki data.

I will check into that-thanks!

dmlogs

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2006

That's not totally true. I have tried submitting cd information to Gracenote and it has not worked. I submitted Artist, Album, Track Names, etc. for a CD I recorded and released myself. To this day none of that information appears on gracenote.

Also, I have tried several different software packages for auto-editing song information and getting artwork. None of them seem to work properly for me. All of them seem to mess up my entire library. I've faced the fact that if I want my library to be perfect I have to edit everything myself. Luckily I have a lot of time on my hands. Not.

2nice79

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
there is an undo option

Well, I listen to underground music that is not that well known as well, and I also took the time to type genres in all of my music as well that were categorized to my liking so i could make smart folders based on genre. When I used tuneup, it messed my genre category up! I was mad initially, but instead of finding a forum and bitching like you are...... I solved the problem by using the undo option on tuneup. I dont know if you have to do it on the same session or what. But if you go to tune up you will see a red arrow on the top right corner, and simply drag the music that you want changed back and presto- problem solved.
Me personally, i like tune up and have been waiting for years for something like it. Granted, some of my music gets labled wrongly- but what do you expect......it is not going to be flawless being that it resorts to such a large database to find your music that is not always distinctively different from another song. Just kind of keep an eye on it as it cleans your music. I mean, woud you really rather type in stuff yourself? I also wrote to them suggesting that they should put a feature on there that allows you to lock certain categories like in my case genre. in other words i want everything cleaned but my genre category!

dont listen to this complainer, that just wants to complain because he is negative minded and immediately assumes the worse......

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Wow. Someone posts, legitimately, that he bought software that claims to organize his library. It didn't work and he warns others. So far, he's been called 'inattentive', 'failure', 'complainer' and 'idiot'.

So what? I have 800 CDs and have just re-imported over half of them recently, and I checked and re-edited the contents of the titles and so forth before re-importing them without any problems at all.

Wow that's amazing. You = my new hero. Where can I learn to be just like you? Sign me up. I'll bring my CD's and iTunes, you bring the coffee and biscuits :rolleyes:.

I'm sorry that your failure to do so resulted in things going awry, but blaming software for your own failures and trying to publicly persuade others there is something wrong with the software

Perhaps he, unlike you (and me), doesn't want to spend hours typing this information in when he imports the CD's. And it does add up to hours. I struggle to justify doing it myself - it's not like they sound any different, or that anyone will notice I put Beyoncé as opposed to Beyonce. Don't blame him for not being like you.

The real point is...If I take my car in for a suspension repair due to my inattentive and idiotic driving, when I pay someone who holds themselves out as being able to fix it, I (rightly) expect to get what I pay for. The fact I caused the problem (via mischief or mistake) in the first place is absolutely and unconditionally irrelevant.

Have you actually run the software? Before posting I searched and downloaded this program and then run a few files over it. I completely agree with the original poster. It's awful. Even if the tagging actually worked (out of 500 files - the demo maximum - only 'definitely confirmed' 3 and had 'suggestions' for around 150), it's still awful. Your mouse lumps over the lists, many times it didn't accept user input at all. Seems to 'attach' itself to iTunes as opposed to being standalone (I therefore initially couldn't find it because my iTunes window is always maximised) which also means you can't run iTunes without also running this (slow) program. I didn't trust it to actually write the tags. It does however claim that it can undo such writes.

AppleMatt

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
I personally love tuneup. It's not as automatic you'd/I'd hoped, but if you learn the program and it's tricks, it's a real time saver.

Tip: grab 4-500 tracks and drag them into tuneup. Wait for it to look up all the tracks. Once it's done, scan through the list for complete albums. Save those only.

Now you can expand each album in the tuneup window to see what tracks are missing. If you know you have those tracks in your library, then locate those and change the info to match. Click save in tuneup and iTunes will sort them to be the complete album with the artwork. If you want ( what I do) you can then drag the the entire album back to tuneup. Tuneup will thenmake all the tracks match completely.

Tip2: the album thumbnail can be expanded to show differen versions of the album artwork so you can pick out which one you like best before saving.

You don't have to click save all. If you do and tuneup messes up the library then it kind of falls back on user inexperience.

There is a trial version you can download that will clean 500 tracks. Try before you buy before making some sweeping statement about how crappy a product is warning others not to buy.

FYI - I've got over 2000 albums. 99% cleaned with tuneup.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
I personally love tuneup. It's not as automatic you'd/I'd hoped, but if you learn the program and it's tricks, it's a real time saver.

Tip: grab 4-500 tracks and drag them into tuneup. Wait for it to look up all the tracks. Once it's done, scan through the list for complete albums. Save those only.

Now you can expand each album in the tuneup window to see what tracks are missing. If you know you have those tracks in your library, then locate those and change the info to match. Click save in tuneup and iTunes will sort them to be the complete album with the artwork. If you want ( what I do) you can then drag the the entire album back to tuneup. Tuneup will thenmake all the tracks match completely.

Tip2: the album thumbnail can be expanded to show differen versions of the album artwork so you can pick out which one you like best before saving.

You don't have to click save all. If you do and tuneup messes up the library then it kind of falls back on user inexperience.

There is a trial version you can download that will clean 500 tracks. Try before you buy before making some sweeping statement about how crappy a product is warning others not to buy.

FYI - I've got over 2000 albums. 99% cleaned with tuneup.

I did download the trial-I didn't try to clean 500 songs-maybe about 20.

What AppleMatt said about the software being slow and unresponsive is absolutely true.

The product is sold as an itunes library cleaner-It really isn't.

Not only did it mis-identify songs that were incorrectly tagged, it changed correctly tagged songs.

Am I partially responsible for this-Of course-I didn't actually examine EACH AND EVERY CHANGE it proposed to make. That being said, I shouldn't have to.

This software is marketed for people like me who do not want to spend the time cleaning. It doesn't work as advertised and that is my point.

If you like it-good for you. But I say Cavet Emptor.

PS-Really not sure why there are a few EXTREMELY HOSTILE posters here. Two people may not agree-that doesn't mean this is a forum for name calling.

Prenvo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
United Kingdom
PS-Really not sure why there are a few EXTREMELY HOSTILE posters here. Two people may not agree-that doesn't mean this is a forum for name calling.

Possibly because, rather than contacting the people who make the software (god forbid), you came straight here and basically told people to not even try to get their own opinion, but to just accept that it's awful and you're right.

It's understandable that you were mad, but developers do usually care and you telling everybody - except the developers themselves - about how bad it is won't solve anything (other than cause a drop in their sales and potentially halt development)

I've tried Tune-up myself and personally hated it because it was so unresponsive, docked (badly in my opinion) to iTunes and I had to spend *quite a while* just getting it off my system. Plus it didn't work at all for me (would freeze iTunes upon music drag, then do nothing once it became responsive again). I didn't pay for it and didn't need it *that* much, so I didn't contact the developers. I know how you feel :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
All programs that link up to Gracenote, freedb.org or the like will have similar problems as the data they link to are only as good as their submitters.

I try to avoid letting iTunes fetch artwork or rename tags as it will do the same as this program seems to.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I haven't found a Mac program that can compete with Tag&Rename. It is windows based but it is by far the best program I have used for doing jus this. The only issue you will have is you have to re-import or re-save your files within iTunes to show the new meta.

Thank you for sharing this about Tune-Up. I was hoping for a Mac application that could switch me from Tag&Rename.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
OP, you've learnt your lesson - don't post a new thread on MacRumors and expect to get away without being flamed.

Another thread that'll put off anybody from trying, legitimately, to help others, or at least ensure they dot their i's and cross their t's before running the software.

Great.

The real point is...If I take my car in for a suspension repair due to my inattentive and idiotic driving, when I pay someone who holds themselves out as being able to fix it, I (rightly) expect to get what I pay for. The fact I caused the problem (via mischief or mistake) in the first place is absolutely and unconditionally irrelevant.

Great analogy, AppleMatt. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.