Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2005
i spent hours trying to get a working weather conditions script to work for geektool. here's my script: (you need lynx to get it to work, if you dont know what it is, dont worry about it youll never use it, just install it)

Code:
lynx -dump http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=YOURZIPCODE|awk '/Cond|Temp|Humid|Wind|Max|Min|Norm|Rec|Fore/'

in geektool go to new shell, paste that in there, and replace YOURZIPCODE with, well, your zip code. then copy http://printer.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=YOURZIPCODE into your web browser, replacing YOURZIPCODE with your zip code. you should have a fairly simple-looking page with weather info on it. you may have noticed in the script a whole bunch of words separated by lines. these are our parameters. scroll through the list of current weather things in your web browser, making note of the entries you want to be displayed on your desktop. i have current conditions (Cond), current temperature (Temp), humidity (Humid), wind speeds (Wind), yesterdays maximum and minimum temperatures (Max, and Min, respectively), normal highs and lows for today (Norm), record highs and lows for today (Rec), and todays forecast (Fore). you can change these to be whatever you want (given that they are available on the web page) it may take some experimenting to get everything you want to work right, just try different names, like if Temperature doesnt work, try Temp, or something like that. just make sure you separate each param with a | and make sure you begin and end your param series with /'

happy geeking :apple: :D

I'm trying to do this weather thing on my desktop...NM I figured out the lynx question. How do I change the weather from a decimal to just be rounded to a whole number like instead of 75.4 just 75? Does anyone know? Also, is there a way to display the city name or is that asking too much?

Also, I want to have a RSS feed display on my desktop. What do I need to do for that if I have the RSS link?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Also, I want to have a RSS feed display on my desktop. What do I need to do for that if I have the RSS link?

RSS feed questions were answered in previous page. Check it out.

Personally I haven't figured out where to put my RSS feed with this desktop.

desktop.png

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Boo!

not really very happy with Geektools atm, every 10seconds i get a 100% CPU hit on both cores! its rediculous!!

this program needs a recode to get rid of all the bugs, that 10% hit every 10seconds is taking 30mins off my battery!

p.s. kkat69 im loving your neon logo thingo, any chance of uploading it somewhere? :)

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
not really very happy with Geektools atm, every 10seconds i get a 100% CPU hit on both cores! its rediculous!!

this program needs a recode to get rid of all the bugs, that 10% hit every 10seconds is taking 30mins off my battery!

p.s. kkat69 im loving your neon logo thingo, any chance of uploading it somewhere? :)

It was a while back, not sure if it's still around. I'll have to look when I have time.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
since i am not as good as most of the users in this thread. how exactly did you do a single line month 'script'.
or could you at least make a short step by step guide of how you stylized your calendar, pls?

edit:
btw, for reference i am talking about post #102. its so pretty :)

Hey, sorry for not getting back to you. I'm actually going very low tech for that calendar. I took the output of cal and copied it into a text file, then just removed the line breaks and added the extra days of the month to coincide. At the end of the month, I prep the new file the same way and then update the script. The script to highlight the date is the same as those using the cal output directly.

jW

germanboy3383

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2005
Hey, sorry for not getting back to you. I'm actually going very low tech for that calendar. I took the output of cal and copied it into a text file, then just removed the line breaks and added the extra days of the month to coincide. At the end of the month, I prep the new file the same way and then update the script. The script to highlight the date is the same as those using the cal output directly.

jW

that sounds...too hard for me to do...since i am somewhat illiterate :(
what i thought would be neat is to use your one line cal output to make somewhat of a divider at the bottom.

if you look at my current set up you can see how my calender is a bit taller than the rest of the scripts, so if i could modyfi it to make it a 1 line output i could make a nice division between desk and geektools.

jcrazyjj

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Macomb, MI
im looking for someone to hold my hand essentially so i can figure out how to do the itunes artwork script.

i have all the scripts, i just dont know what to change exactly.

anyone?

also any who has set up an RSS weather feed would be very helpful too. the lynx works great for the conditions but will not work for weather.

thank you.

if youd like you can IM me on aim @ greyspotgibs

zzzzzzzzz

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008

jW

if we put our heads together, we ought to be able to figure out a more 'high tech' way of doing this.

here's what i have so far:
cal | sed -e '1d' -e '2p;2p;2p;2p' | sed -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' | sed "s/^/ /;s/$/ /;s/ $(date +%e) /\|$(date +%e)\|/"

it's pretty close (you can see it down at the bottom there*), but:
(1) it gets rid of the month label (i took out the first line ('1d') because i don't know how to exclude it from being appended to the second when i start joining the lines together (sed -e '$!N;s/\n/ /'). if someone can break down that last bit of code so that it only appends the second line (the days), then we can put the month back in
(2) it's got those trailing day labels since i had to make five weeks worth of labels (repeating the second line four times: '2p;2p;2p;2p'). so if anyone knows an elegant way of dealing with that...

*(don't make fun of my rainbow blog titles. i think they're pretty)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    860.9 KB · Views: 880

njmitchel0

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
could someone also breakdown the album art code for too....i thought i had it in correctly but its still not displaying anything...does it make a difference that I have all my itunes music running from an external hd??? please help me figure this out :confused:

zzzzzzzzz

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
I cant make geektools display my financials :(

Hey Cap'n

Try these instead:
curl http://www.google.ca/finance?q=INDEXNASDAQ:.IXIC | sed -n '/MARKET DATA AND CHART/,/Open:/p' | sed -e :a -e 's/<[^>]*>//g;/</N;//ba' | sed '1,9d' | sed '4,9d' | sed '$!N;s/\n/ /'| sed '$!N;s/\n/ /' | sed 's/^/NASDAQ: /g'

curl http://www.google.ca/finance?q=INDEXDJX:.DJI| sed -n '/MARKET DATA AND CHART/,/Open:/p' | sed -e :a -e 's/<[^>]*>//g;/</N;//ba' | sed '1,9d' | sed '4,9d' | sed '$!N;s/\n/ /'| sed '$!N;s/\n/ /' | sed 's/^/DOW: /g'

curl http://www.google.ca/finance?q=INDEXSP:.INX | sed -n '/MARKET DATA AND CHART/,/Open:/p' | sed -e :a -e 's/<[^>]*>//g;/</N;//ba' | sed '1,9d' | sed '4,9d' | sed '$!N;s/\n/ /'| sed '$!N;s/\n/ /' | sed 's/^/S\&P 500: /g'

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
could someone also breakdown the album art code for too....i thought i had it in correctly but its still not displaying anything...does it make a difference that I have all my itunes music running from an external hd??? please help me figure this out :confused:

Some people have noted that the iTunes artwork script doesn't work that well. Meaning, it either doesn't start up unless you manually start it, or it starts but doesn't change to the next album cover.

I used the one I've found here and googling and it doesn't start. I have to manually start the script then it runs fine for a while. It's the whole why I have to manually start it that doesn't make sense.

I quit showing mine until I find something better.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Some people have noted that the iTunes artwork script doesn't work that well. Meaning, it either doesn't start up unless you manually start it, or it starts but doesn't change to the next album cover.

I used the one I've found here and googling and it doesn't start. I have to manually start the script then it runs fine for a while. It's the whole why I have to manually start it that doesn't make sense.

I quit showing mine until I find something better.

me and a friend spend a good 5 hours trying to get it working, we both EVENTUALLY got it going. my friends works perfectly, it updates and does everything as you would expect. mine also works fine but it needs two layers for some odd reason, they seem to be linked together and if i turn one off it stops working haha!!

it works though so im happy.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
me and a friend spend a good 5 hours trying to get it working, we both EVENTUALLY got it going. my friends works perfectly, it updates and does everything as you would expect. mine also works fine but it needs two layers for some odd reason, they seem to be linked together and if i turn one off it stops working haha!!

it works though so im happy.

Glad you guys got it working!

What better place to NOT post how or what your geektool script is than a thread ABOUT peoples geektool scripts. :rolleyes:

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Glad you guys got it working!

What better place to NOT post how or what your geektool script is than a thread ABOUT peoples geektool scripts. :rolleyes:

lol hint taken :p

it will post MY current scriptings, however i doubt it will be of any use to anybody it only just works for me!!!!! ahwell here goes nothing!!!

my method is QUITE rediculous....

1. download the zip file i have provided. extract the folder to:: username/Pictures (i.e. place the "iTunes Artwork" folder in "Pictures".)
2. open geekbench.
3. make a New Entry:
• make it a "shell" type of Entry
• in the "command" box, enter
Code:
osascript Users/[B]username[/B]/Pictures/iTunesArtwork/iTunesArtwork.scpt
where username is your username!

4. make another new entry:
• make it a "Picture" type of Entry
• in the "URL" box, enter
Code:
file:///Users/[B]username[/B]/Pictures/iTunesArtwork/albumArt.pict
again where username is your username!

5. change your refresh rates and see how you do.
6. that should be it!! play a few songs and see if it changes.

EDIT: i guess i should attach the ZIP file....
EDIT:: oh yea, the reason i have two "entries" is because i couldnt get it to work with one entry, maybe somebody can tell me why haha.

Attachments

• iTunesArtwork 2.zip
    130.6 KB · Views: 495

germanboy3383

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2005
here's what i have so far:
cal | sed -e '1d' -e '2p;2p;2p;2p' | sed -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' -e '$!N;s/\n/ /' | sed "s/^/ /;s/$/ /;s/ $(date +%e) /\|$(date +%e)\|/"

THUMBS UP
thats so hot :) thx for the code...i dont think there is a way to spread out the test from the left side of the screen to the right hand side as to pretty much create an artificial divider, is there?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
EDIT:: oh yea, the reason i have two "entries" is because i couldnt get it to work with one entry, maybe somebody can tell me why haha.

If it's just the OSA script your referring to, that the same thing I was referring to. I've read lots of complaints where the script doesn't start off immediately but no replies on how to fix it.

This is the first potential solution I've seen. though I gotta leery feeling about it, it just might be this simple that it does work. I'll give it a whirl later on. I removed the artwork for the fact that the script doesn't work right off the bat, maybe the script needs to run as an app or something but anyway we'll see.

thx, pretty ingenious solution and glad it works for your setup.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
If it's just the OSA script your referring to, that the same thing I was referring to. I've read lots of complaints where the script doesn't start off immediately but no replies on how to fix it.

This is the first potential solution I've seen. though I gotta leery feeling about it, it just might be this simple that it does work. I'll give it a whirl later on. I removed the artwork for the fact that the script doesn't work right off the bat, maybe the script needs to run as an app or something but anyway we'll see.

thx, pretty ingenious solution and glad it works for your setup.

mine seems to be a very add case, my friend got it working using one "Entry", we both set it up exactly the same time and followed the same procedures, it wasnt until i tried my two entries methods that ours both worked. he somehow got it to work with just one, but mine failed to work with the one..

if i disable either of the two it completely stops working.

i will get his code :) and post it here, its basically the same as mine (except in one entry i think) - maybe you can try putting it into one entry and see if that works for you? maybe my computer is just stuffed hhahaha

goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.