Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Hey,

So this morning i turned on my alu macbook (2.0ghz, 2gb ram) and i'm stuck on the apple logo and spinny thing at the bottom, i've searched here and the apple site but can't find a solution. PLease help!

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Hey,

So this morning i turned on my alu macbook (2.0ghz, 2gb ram) and i'm stuck on the apple logo and spinny thing at the bottom, i've searched here and the apple site but can't find a solution. PLease help!

Do you have any devices plugged in, such as an external drive or an iPod? If so, remove them and try again.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Nothing is plugged in, the battery was full iniatially but after a i let it sit on that screen for a while its down to about half give or take.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Any idea how long booting through safe mode should take? its been about 15 mins of blue screen with the spinning thing underneath

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Ok so whats happening is the wheel at the bottom spins the mouse appears in the top left hand corner for a second, the screen blinks and the wheel reappears..... is this supposed to be happening?

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Okay, shut down the Mac (hold down power key)
Restart whilst holding down Command-S

The screen should turn black and load some text

At the prompt type

fsck -fy and press Return

Hopefully some repairs will be performed.

At the prompt type

reboot and press Return

Cross your fingers ;)

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
the hard disk appears to be active, i can feel the vibration and its getting warm.

so i should just let it run for the moment?

DPA

macrumors 65816
15 minutes wouldn't be long for me. It all depends on what type of files you have on you hard drive. About how many gigabytes of applications do you have? My MacBook Pro takes about 15-18 minutes to boot up in Safe Mode and I have a ton of intense applications like Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, After Effects, Dreamweaver, Flash, MS Word (believe it or not, it's a pretty big app), Photoshop and others which adds up about 12GB plus another 20GB in music and media in iTunes and it has to load my files on my 3 external drives via FireWire 800. I doubt you have this many apps on a MacBook but it's possible.

David

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
You can always start up in verbose mode (hold down "apple" and "v"). This way you can see your computer loading. If it stops reporting, and the HDD spins down, then you may have some corrupted filesystems or something. Use the forums linked by the commenter above for more information about fixing this through disk utility and other means.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
15 minutes wouldn't be long for me. It all depends on what type of files you have on you hard drive. About how many gigabytes of applications do you have? My MacBook Pro takes about 15-18 minutes to boot up in Safe Mode and I have a ton of intense applications like Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, After Effects, Dreamweaver, Flash, MS Word (believe it or not, it's a pretty big app), Photoshop and others which adds up about 12GB plus another 20GB in music and media in iTunes and it has to load my files on my 3 external drives via FireWire 800. I doubt you have this many apps on a MacBook but it's possible.

David

the biggest apps i have on it would be ms office and football manager 09. in terms of music video, maybe 30gb. it doesn't have to load anything from any external drives.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Okay, shut down the Mac (hold down power key)
Restart whilst holding down Command-S

The screen should turn black and load some text

At the prompt type

fsck -fy and press Return

Hopefully some repairs will be performed.

At the prompt type

reboot and press Return

Cross your fingers ;)

ok i did this and the exact same thing is happening again, with the blue screen loading then the mouse appearing for a second before flicking back to loading again....

DPA

macrumors 65816
MS Office is, in somewhat of a surprise, a suite of pretty big applications. How much RAM do you have on your MacBook and is it a SSD drive? I don't see how it is taking that long to boot up in Safe Mode. Did you get it to boot yet? I think you should try SoutherBoy's fix, it sounds like it will work to me.

David

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
ok i did this and the exact same thing is happening again, with the blue screen loading then the mouse appearing for a second before flicking back to loading again....

Try booting using verbose mode as leodavinci0 suggests. Hopefully a message will help you diagnose better.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
MS Office is, in somewhat of a surprise, a suite of pretty big applications. How much RAM do you have on your MacBook and is it a SSD drive? I don't see how it is taking that long to boot up in Safe Mode. Did you get it to boot yet? I think you should try SoutherBoy's fix, it sounds like it will work to me.

David

i've 2gb of ram and its the standard 160gb drive. i tried Southernboy's fix but to no avail.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Try booting using verbose mode as leodavinci0 suggests. Hopefully a message will help you diagnose better.

I'll do that when i get home in a couple of hours, can't do anymore now as the battery is nearly gone, thanks for all the help, i'll post an update when i get home...

DPA

macrumors 65816
You are booting up to Mac OS X, right? There shouldn't be a blue screen when you boot in Safe Boot. I think you should try a Archive and Install. It's helpful if you have an external drive, FireWire especially. If you have a FireWire cable and another Mac, you could also try booting your MacBook to your other Mac. When you boot up hold the T key and your Mac should boot up to a screensaver with a moving FireWire logo. Make sure you have the FireWire cord running from your MacBook to your other Mac and then the MacBook should be shown as a drive on your other Mac. You can then copy files and even try to sort out the problem there. You can run Disk Utility on the MacBook too. Refer to this page for more information.

David

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
You are booting up to Mac OS X, right? There shouldn't be a blue screen when you boot in Safe Boot. I think you should try a Archive and Install. It's helpful if you have an external drive, FireWire especially. If you have a FireWire cable and another Mac, you could also try booting your MacBook to your other Mac. When you boot up hold the T key and your Mac should boot up to a screensaver with a moving FireWire logo. Make sure you have the FireWire cord running from your MacBook to your other Mac and then the MacBook should be shown as a drive on your other Mac. You can then copy files and even try to sort out the problem there. You can run Disk Utility on the MacBook too. Refer to this page for more information.

David

Sigh... Target Disk Mode on the MacBook.... you will be missed... :'(

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
You can always start up in verbose mode (hold down "apple" and "v"). This way you can see your computer loading. If it stops reporting, and the HDD spins down, then you may have some corrupted filesystems or something. Use the forums linked by the commenter above for more information about fixing this through disk utility and other means.

Ok i'm doing this at the moment its skipping between a blue screen and a black screen, the black screen is saying that the time the computers name and a crash report number thats going up as the new crash screen pops up. Saved crash report to ....

any other suggestions, should i do the pram or smc things yet should i?

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Ok i'm doing this at the moment its skipping between a blue screen and a black screen, the black screen is saying that the time the computers name and a crash report number thats going up as the new crash screen pops up. Saved crash report to ....

any other suggestions, should i do the pram or smc things yet should i?

Could you provide more info on what verbose mode is showing you? It should list several processes, and eventually get to one it either gets stuck on, or explicitly states this is what crashed. If it doesn't even get to the point of trying to load any processes, and instead just lists that a whole bunch of things are crashing, then this doesn't bode well, and may be a HDD reading problem (if in fact you didn't do anything to the computer to cause this error). I can't say until you provide more data.

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Could you provide more info on what verbose mode is showing you? It should list several processes, and eventually get to one it either gets stuck on, or explicitly states this is what crashed. If it doesn't even get to the point of trying to load any processes, and instead just lists that a whole bunch of things are crashing, then this doesn't bode well, and may be a HDD reading problem (if in fact you didn't do anything to the computer to cause this error). I can't say until you provide more data.

i can't remember exactly what it said but i always stopped at the first line, and it had the 3 values at 0 0 0.

do you know what i mean?

mattcam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
ok so i did an archive and install. that seems to have fixed the problem, i hope, is there anything i should do like run a diagnostic tool or something?

i've already started with the updates.

RemarkabLee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Your right, I totally forgot there's no more FW ports on the new Unibody MacBook. That's a big sigh...

David

It was just a general comment, not specifically to do with this issue. I wasn't sure what model the OP was using, so don't take that as a jibe :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.