Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ant1-Hero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Montreal
I bought an iMac g4 1.25 17 inch a few days ago, and there is one stuck pixel on the screen, i know not a big deal, but when the display is dark (movies wallpaper) it shows up blue

i tried an online pixel fixer, and tried turning off my monitor and applying force with q tip in a cloth, but no dice

So, How do you fix a stuck pixel?

Cheers

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I bought an iMac g4 1.25 17 inch a few days ago, and there is one stuck pixel on the screen, i know not a big deal, but when the display is dark (movies wallpaper) it shows up blue

i tried an online pixel fixer, and tried turning off my monitor and applying force with q tip in a cloth, but no dice

Cheers

Try something with more of a point then the q-tip, Perhaps the tip of a mechanical pencil? With a cloth of course.

DPA

macrumors 65816
I believe you are describing a dead pixel which is unfixable. You have to replace the display to fix it. If the computer was still under warranty, which it is not since it is over 3 years old, Apple would fix the display if more than 10, I believe, dead pixels occurred.

David

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I believe you are describing a dead pixel which is unfixable. You have to replace the display to fix it. If the computer was still under warranty, which it is not since it is over 3 years old, Apple would fix the display if more than 10, I believe, dead pixels occurred.

David

I was thinking about that, but he says it shows up blue on a dark screen, I believe a dead pixel will always display black.

chuckcalo

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009

Cheers

Don't think you can fix a dead pixel other than replacing the screen.

Ant1-Hero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Montreal
the pixel isn't dead or it would be black, I would rather it be black, but its blue brighter blue.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Take an exacto nice and carefully slice out that pixel... Oh wait, nevermind.

DPA

macrumors 65816
I was thinking about that, but he says it shows up blue on a dark screen, I believe a dead pixel will always display black.

If it's just displaying blue then that means that it is a blue pixel (out of the red, green and blue) that is stuck at that one color. So what you are seeing is a stuck subpixel. If you put the computer in a screensaver that has a mostly black screen like the Computer Information screensaver, does the pixel still stay blue?

David

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.

David
Apple has no official, dead or stuck pixel policy. They handle those issues on a case by case basis.

Those stuck pixel fixer videos. That quickly flash colors on your screen wont work. I have never seen one work. Maybe on a brand new screen. But not on a screen that has had a stuck pixel for 4 years.

Ant1-Hero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Montreal
what about this tapping method, also i agree i dont know if those flash color programs do anything, i have tried them before on other machines, my OCD is nit picking on this 1 pixel though

DPA

macrumors 65816
Apple has no official, dead or stuck pixel policy. They handle those issues on a case by case basis.

Those stuck pixel fixer videos. That quickly flash colors on your screen wont work. I have never seen one work. Maybe on a brand new screen. But not on a screen that has had a stuck pixel for 4 years.

I think they have a dead pixel policy on iPhones of 10 or more (which seems like a lot to me) because a member here on MR said that he took his iPhone in and the Genius said there had to be 10 or more for a replacement. This may be untrue though.

David

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Apple, like all other LCD manufacturers, does have dead/stuck pixel policies for all their LCDs but unlike most other manufacturers, Apple's is not for publication. :mad:

In any case, a method that I've used with varying success is to massage the spot with your thumb in a circular rolling motion with fairly strong pressure for about 5 seconds at a time. IE, your thumb never moves from the spot, but rolls around on the spot. You'll see a lovely rainbow effect when you apply pressure - don't panic. When you stop, check the pixel. If it is still stuck you can try this a few times.

If that fixes it, it may return hours or days later or may fix it permanently. YMMV.

I certainly wouldn't try a smaller point of pressure (ie a pen or similar) as this could do damage. Think about how deep a dot on an old typewriter penetrates the paper versus a letter for the same force applied.

Good luck!

:)
________
hashish

Last edited:

dutchwolves

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
fixed stuck pixel

I tried the thumb pressure procedure and sure enough... fixed it... seemed less risky than using an object.
hey thanks

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
well, this is an older thread, BUT i took my MBP in for some dead pixels. Well, the genius told me they were stuck pixels. He ran some script on my Mac, and it seemed to fix the dead pixels!

He also showed me a video on youtube that flashes the primary colours very quickly, and makes it easier to see the dead pixels and helps to "unstick" them (i made that word up, obviously!). just type in dead pixel youtube or dead pixel fixer, something to that affect..

Also, I was told that IT is case by case situation on dead pixel repair/replacement. I think 10 is about the minimum. I mean there are million of pixels on the screen, and having 3 wouldn't warrant a replacement by ANY manufacturer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.