Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nojustice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Just ordered a new 2.0 GHZ Aluminum macbook and wondering where a cheap and reliable place to get 4 GB of RAM from would be? Newegg doesn't seem to have any.

hak187

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
I got mine from Crucial.

Plus I am a member of ebates (http://www.ebates.com) - so I got 6% off on my purchase as well.

I used ebates when I bought my macbook as well. The apple store only gets you 1% cash back from ebates, but considering my macbook was around $1500, the 1% came out to about $15.

I would highly suggest checking out ebates.com if you buy alot of stuff off of the internet. Off the top of my head - newegg.com, crucial.com, ebay, tiger direct, officemax, best buy, etc are all on ebates and you can earn some good $ by going through ebates.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
IMO people should just BTO from Apple. Their 4GB price is not that much more that what you could get it for from crucial or other sites. And sure, you won't have the extra 2x1GB sticks left over, but what are you gonna do with those anyway?

I think the small extra price (~$30) is worth it considering you're gonna have full support from Apple should the memory fail - and since DDR3 is a rather new technology, I think it's somewhat likely to happen.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
IMO people should just BTO from Apple. Their 4GB price is not that much more that what you could get it for from crucial. And sure you won't have the extra 2x1GB sticks left over, but what are you gonna do with those anyway?

Um, its a lot cheeper, and u get free ram. :D

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
IMO people should just BTO from Apple. Their 4GB price is not that much more that what you could get it for from crucial or other sites. And sure, you won't have the extra 2x1GB sticks left over, but what are you gonna do with those anyway?

I think the small extra price (~$30) is worth it considering you're gonna have full support from Apple should the memory fail - and since DDR3 is a rather new technology, I think it's somewhat likely to happen.

Um, its a lot cheeper, and u get free ram. :D

^ Thats why! :D Save money in the first place then sell the extra ram later on.

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
I got 2 bad 4gb crucial sticks form newegg. When using 3 finger swipe in safari, or watching video, the computer would crash. It got so bad that it hung on booting. I pulled the hard drive first and put it in an enclosure to harvest its data, then removed the ram from the macbook and replaced the factory sticks. Works fine now.

Already RMAed it to newegg. expecting replacement sticks shortly.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I got 2 bad 4gb crucial sticks form newegg. When using 3 finger swipe in safari, or watching video, the computer would crash. It got so bad that it hung on booting. I pulled the hard drive first and put it in an enclosure to harvest its data, then removed the ram from the macbook and replaced the factory sticks. Works fine now.

Already RMAed it to newegg. expecting replacement sticks shortly.

If you installed both 4GB sticks, that was most likely the cause of your issues. The MB's are terribly unstable when you run 8GB of RAM.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just bought this from NewEgg and it works great in my new MacBook.

NewEgg is generally the best place to buy computer parts. Even if they're a bit more expensive than some other online store, I'll pay the extra just for their excellent customer service.

STSNorthstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
If you installed both 4GB sticks, that was most likely the cause of your issues. The MB's are terribly unstable when you run 8GB of RAM.

I made a typo. I meant to say 2 2GB sticks. I know of the 8GB instability.

Regardless, the computer is still running flawlessly since the factory RAM was replaced.

yg, thats the exact Ram I bought, I got faulty sticks, so homefully there wasn't a bad run of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.