Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Topic pretty much says it all...this is on my g/f's iBook 14" G4. she extended her AppleCare.

coconutbattery info:

current and maximum battery charge are both 303 mAh
current battery capacity is 303 mAh and original was 4400
battery load-cycles is 185

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Topic pretty much says it all...this is on my g/f's iBook 14" G4. she extended her AppleCare.

coconutbattery info:

current and maximum battery charge are both 303 mAh
current battery capacity is 303 mAh and original was 4400
battery load-cycles is 185

Give'em a call tomorrow between 9-5 and see what somebody says.

You may be able to seeing how there's less than 300 cycles. Also google up the apple battery recall, you may fall under that. I know I did, and at the time my battery was 3.5 years old, no applecare, and I got a free replacement.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Losing over 90% of the capacity under 200 cycles is definitely grounds for a replacement.

last time she took it in, the genius gave her calibration ********* after seeing these #s, adding he doesn't know why it only says 180 cycles...

any way they can say there's no way it's only been 185 cycles in 4 years?

pinoyplaya

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Doesnt apple have a battery replacement under warranty if the battery is at a certain level of charge?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
last time she took it in, the genius gave her calibration ********* after seeing these #s, adding he doesn't know why it only says 180 cycles...

any way they can say there's no way it's only been 185 cycles in 4 years?
That's really odd. They recognized the problem but tried to say that it has been used more than recorded?

Out of curiosity, how old is the computer?

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
That's really odd. They recognized the problem but tried to say that it has been used more than recorded?

Out of curiosity, how old is the computer?

they told her to try the apple calibration thing on the batteries page. this time i will be with her the whole time and won't let them pull that.

apparently he said he "didn't know why" it only showed 180 cycles.

since then (maybe 2 months ago at most) the capacity has cut itself in half, now going from fully charged (plugged in) to reserve battery power (as soon as the charger unplugs).

the computer is 45 months old. she has an extended AC plan.

i think we are going to try and go to a non-flagship store this time too.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
But the battery is also outside the warranty period even with Applecare.

As long as it is within warranty Apple will look at the "80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles" lifetime.

You might get someone to toss in one outside the warranty, but likely not at nearly 4 years.

Since for ...

Notebook Owners

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan

...Being a year outside this won't help much with a consumable like a battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.