Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MLB.com At Bat 2009 [App Store, $9.99] has appeared in the App Store, reviving one of last year's popular sports apps and adding in-game audio for all Major League Baseball games during the 2009 season.

Featuring exclusive pitch type, location and speed data from MLB.com Gameday, plus real-time box scores, play-by-play and video highlights, it's the fastest, most detailed way to follow games on your iPhone or iPod touch.

And new for 2009, At Bat includes MLB.com Gameday Audio. You can listen to every regular season and Postseason game LIVE, with your choice of the home or visiting team's announcers.

The 2008 version of the application debuted midway through the season at a price point of $4.99 and was featured in an iPhone commercial.

Last year's version continues to exist as MLB.com At Bat Lite [App Store], a free application that has been providing full coverage of the now-completed World Baseball Classic, as well as Major League Baseball spring training, which is wrapping up in just a few days. For the 2009 regular season and playoffs, MLB.com At Bat Lite will provide real-time scores and schedules, but will not offer the advanced features found in the paid version.

Article Link: 'MLB.com At Bat' Returns for 2009

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
Before you buy, this App still has the same huge bug present in last year's edition: you can't see or select Montreal Expos games. Pretty ridiculous.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Anyone know if you have to be mlb.com subscriber to be able to access the gameday audio?

Also, I'm hoping they eventually add real time video to this app.

abnospam

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
big question: can the gameday audio access be used on my computer as well? Or do I have to pay another $10 for that?

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
Gameday audio doesn't cost extra, no you can't access it on your computer. You would need an MLB Gamday Audio subscription.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I was really looking forward for this app... thought it would be 4.99 tho... i guess the extra 5 bucks are ok with the game day audio...

sounds like a cool app other wise tho... im still going to end up purchasing it.

does anyone know how "real time" it is? like can i be at the game listening to this and follow with whats going on at the game? or is there a considerable lag? just wondering if anyone knows?

sometimes i just dont like the fox sports announcers when i can get Vince Scully on for my Dodgers. would like to follow that way sometimes.

purd002

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
It was $4.99 last year because the app was introduced half-way thru the season. They aren't charging twice as much this year, they are just offering the whole season. To stream on your computer is $14.95, personally i find this app tons more useful - you can always output the audio via the headphone jack!

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'm very happy it's only $9.99 considering last years I gladly paid $4.99 for half a season without Gameday audio and everything.

I'll pick this up so I can watch the Twins all the way to winning their first world series since 1991.:cool:

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
this is the most ridiculous app ever. 10 bucks for one season!!! it should be maybe 10 bucks and get it for every season. (maybe have it be 4.99 and use the new subscription service to sell each season for 99 cents) and even then it seems a little over priced.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Any idea how sound quality will be on 3G and Edge? I'd get it for listening at work but lots of computers at the office and reception is spotty.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Any idea how sound quality will be on 3G and Edge? I'd get it for listening at work but lots of computers at the office and reception is spotty.

Unfortunately the Gameday Audio for the App doesn't start until April 6th.
I was hoping they were going to "test" it out since they do Gameday audio for some Spring Training games on the website.

sheaitisnotso

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah I'd like to know if the audio works okay on edge. I've already bought the mlb.tv package and would only buy this for the audio to use on car trips, etc.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
this is the most ridiculous app ever. 10 bucks for one season!!! it should be maybe 10 bucks and get it for every season. (maybe have it be 4.99 and use the new subscription service to sell each season for 99 cents) and even then it seems a little over priced.

How is it overpriced? MLB gameday audio costs $15/year by itself.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA

How is it overpriced? MLB gameday audio costs $15/year by itself.

I think it's priced fine. A season of TV on the iTunes Store costs upwards of $40-50, so $10 for an entire season of baseball doesn't seem like that much.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I was really looking forward for this app... thought it would be 4.99 tho... i guess the extra 5 bucks are ok with the game day audio...

sounds like a cool app other wise tho... im still going to end up purchasing it.

does anyone know how "real time" it is? like can i be at the game listening to this and follow with whats going on at the game? or is there a considerable lag? just wondering if anyone knows?

sometimes i just dont like the fox sports announcers when i can get Vince Scully on for my Dodgers. would like to follow that way sometimes.

you will get the radio broadcast of each team playing and its pretty close to real time i think when i had it last year it was like a minumum 5 second lag i had some games muted on tv and listen to the audio.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Where ARE the Expos

this isnt funny btw

As a lifelong Montréal Expos fan, I find it hilarious.

Back on topic, with Gameday Audio for $10? That's great, considering it's either $15 of $20 through the web. Off to the App Store ...

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I would assume you have to have the app open for gameday audio to work? thats kinda sad - if I want to check my mail I have to close the app, lose the feed, check my mail and then come back and start the feed again.

This is one of the areas where Apple needed to add some sort of background functionality. It doesn't have to be the full app, just have the OS setup some sort of audio stream handler in the background so I can tool around the phone and do other stuff while listening to the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.