Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Is there a way to copy the contacts from the iPhone to the sim card.

I then need to use this sim card in another phone.

Isim and Simport don't exist for iPhone 3G so can't use them.

If you're thinking about synching, I have an iMac.

Any ideas?

JH

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
As stupid as it is, I don't think this is possible with the iPhone. I've never been able to find a way.

Tomaten

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
This is ****ed up :mad:
My 5 yeah old nokia can do it - but the "oh so faboules iphone" cant do it... geesufreakingchrist :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
This is ****ed up :mad:
My 5 yeah old nokia can do it - but the "oh so faboules iphone" cant do it... geesufreakingchrist :mad:

True but possibly 'so what' as there's a 'gotcha' here, very little work has been put into making SIMs have a larger capacity. so its very easy to have many times more contacts on a PDA/Phone than you'll ever get into a SIM. I have an old Nokia with what at the time was a larger SIM, but it would never store the number of contacts I have on my Treo.

Last edited by a moderator:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Free mobileme, sync contacts, export them out, cancel mobileme.
You could use funambol to get them too.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Why do you need to? Everything is copied to iTunes and your contacts on your computer.

The other person may have a secondary phone that isn't an iphone that they may swap the sim in. So iTunes isn't much help there...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The other person may have a secondary phone that isn't an iphone that they may swap the sim in. So iTunes isn't much help there...

Even my wife's old RAZR can sync contacts with the computer over bluetooth. And it's a couple years old.

There are actually still phones out there that won't sync with Outlook or Apple's Address Book?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Even my wife's old RAZR can sync contacts with the computer over bluetooth. And it's a couple years old.

There are actually still phones out there that won't sync with Outlook or Apple's Address Book?

I think my nokia 2610 doesn't support that. Of course I only use the 2610 when I am going to a place where camera phones are not allowed...

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

My crappy backup nokia doesnt sync with outlook, but i can save contacts to the sim card. Another oversight by apple.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think my nokia 2610 doesn't support that. Of course I only use the 2610 when I am going to a place where camera phones are not allowed...

That looks pretty similar to my last phone and I didn't think there was anyway to change the SIM card in that yourself. Can you actually open that up?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It's obvious that the omission of this feature wasn't just an oversight since the iPhone allows you to copy your contacts stored on your SIM card to your iPhone, so obviously they thought of the reverse of that feature. The only reason why you can't do this is so you're stuck with the iPhone once you switch to it since there isn't a simple way to keep your contacts on your current phone, unless it's an iPhone.

nok2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Clearly the iPhone CAN write contact to its SIM - it's just cr-apple that are making it hard for everyone. See iSIM check your App Installer press Sources, then Edit, then Add. Next, type http://tinyurl.com/3544mp

xcell

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2005
It's obvious that the omission of this feature wasn't just an oversight since the iPhone allows you to copy your contacts stored on your SIM card to your iPhone, so obviously they thought of the reverse of that feature. The only reason why you can't do this is so you're stuck with the iPhone once you switch to it since there isn't a simple way to keep your contacts on your current phone, unless it's an iPhone.

You are unfortunately right - Apple want to take control - else I could not explain why this simple feature is missing!

Think different => Think like Apple

dllegal.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
can this be done by

Sun Valley Co have an application called Cloud address book
Can this be done by uploading the data to the contact store that cloud book supply, swapping the new SIM into the iPhone and restoring it?

B**** silly way to live life ... come on Apple -- give us the feature everyone else has -=- sigh!

2kats

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
easy solution

Use "Share Contacts" to MMS the contact to your phone. Then Add new contact, then delete the old one.

violetgoose

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Texas
Ugh! I wish there was a way. I may have to get an old phone just so I won't have to deal w/ this *****. iCloud deleted ALL of my contacts the other day... And I thought the entire point of iCloud was to back up everything I had? Now I have to start from scratch and am afraid this will only happen again, and I didn't even do anything to my phone! This is a perfect question and with technology being so flaky nowadays I don't think I trust it so much anymore. Now I am manually adding people to my Address Book so at least I have that to fall back on if I ever lose my contacts in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.