Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
This is very intriguing to me...

Is there a way to do this without a gigabit ethernet router? Can I connect the ps3 directly to my MBP's ethernet port and do internet connection sharing? That would be much handier for me, and a lot of other people as well I'm sure.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
This is very intriguing to me...

Is there a way to do this without a gigabit ethernet router? Can I connect the ps3 directly to my MBP's ethernet port and do internet connection sharing? That would be much handier for me, and a lot of other people as well I'm sure.

i am not sure. your ps3 would be running ubuntu, so this might be a question over at their forums?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Ok, I will install Ubuntu and check over there. Then report back here with any findings.

yeah let us know what you find.

also, i decided to try and copy the bd file to the mac side of my mbp, just to see if it was windows.....sure enough. it works great copying to leopard! why can't vista copy files at least close to 1 GB/s? instead of 599 kb/s?

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm trying to set up a SMB share using OS X on my MBP. I have file sharing, SMB sharing enabled. My ip is 192.168.1.110. What am I not doing right that the ps3 ubuntu can't connect in terminal?

The part with 192.168.1.110 --> Do I need to make a folder called "NetShare"? If so does it go in my home directory or the lowest level of my harddrive?

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Disregard the last post! I FINALLY got past mounting my SMB shared folder as a local folder.

To be honest I'm not sure what I did different. I think mounting the smb directory first, and THEN issuing the command to use it as a local folder did it, but I could be totally wrong.

Either way I am dumping my first disc over to my mac, and so far all is looking good.

Lets just hope the next few steps don't gimme issues.

This is the same error/response I am getting when I try to set up the netshare. Could you try to give me any pointers to anything you might have changed? When I connect to the share using the connect to server command under Places, it connects no problem.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I think I got it to work...

I went to this website.

I put the folder "NetShare" in the list of public folders in OS X's file sharing panel. Then with this command I verified Ubuntu could see the share:
Code:
smbclient -L 192.168.1.110 -U%

After I saw that "NetShare" was listed, I typed in this command:
Code:
sudo smbmount //192.168.1.110/NetShare /home/username/netshare -o username=username,password=mysecretpassword,uid=1000,mask=000

I am now transferring the file to my MBP.

Is there anyway to tell how much progress has been made with the file transfer? Or do I have to right click the file --> get info, then judge how much of the file has been transferred?

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Here's an update as far as directly wiring the ethernet port of my MBP to the PS3:

I enabled internet connection sharing in OS X system preferences and restarted my PS3. It showed up as the OS X's router being 192.168.1.2. I then did all of the above steps with mounting the share but with using 192.168.2.1 as the ip address. It seems to be copying at a decent speed. It did about 1 GB of data in 8 minutes. Is that about right?

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Turns out it is a lot faster for me just to do the transfer over my 100mb/s ethernet network than to mess with internet sharing in OS X. With the 100mb/s connection I was able to transfer 1GB in about 3 minutes.

If anyone else figures out if a 1GB internet sharing connection is possible, please post it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Turns out it is a lot faster for me just to do the transfer over my 100mb/s ethernet network than to mess with internet sharing in OS X. With the 100mb/s connection I was able to transfer 1GB in about 3 minutes.

If anyone else figures out if a 1GB internet sharing connection is possible, please post it.

oh ok. well at you got it working. for some reason in Vista it took me 20 hours to copy 45 GB - basically 600 kb/s. doing everything the same, but copying to leopard, i was doing 9 mb/s. flying!

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
In Step 3a of the original post, is it possible to direct the transfer to an external HDD via FireWire and if so what would the path be.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
In Step 3a of the original post, is it possible to direct the transfer to an external HDD via FireWire and if so what would the path be.

I'm assuming your talking about an external HDD connected to your mac via firewire? You should be able to do that by setting up a folder on the external harddrive to share. Then go into system preferences --> sharing on os X. In the file sharing option you can add the folder on the external HDD to the shared folder list.

As far as setting it up on the ps3 side, you can use the command I used earlier on
Code:
to verify that the share is listed. After that it should just be a matter of using
Code:
sudo smbmount //192.168.1.110/NetShare /home/username/netshare -o username=username,password=mysecretpassword,uid=1000,mask=000
Where "NetShare" is the folder on the external HDD that you set in the system preferences.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
If it is HFS+ formatted and connected to the PS3 (can the PS3 take Firewire:confused:):

1. Make a mount point for it, that you can call as you like, e.g. 'hfsplus', where you like (usually on /mnt or /media).
You need to run this commands always with root privileges
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/hfsplus

2. Mount it, specifying file system, device and mount point
Code:
sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /mnt/hfsplus
An icon will appear on your desktop.

3. To unmount the HD
Code:
sudo umount /mnt/hfsplus

4. In order to avoid to repeat this step every time you start your computer, edit the file /etc/fstab (the file system table), so that the Drive will be always mounted.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

You can add a line for each partition, you want to be mounted at startup.
Following our example:
Code:
# <file system> <mount point> <type>  <options>    <dump><pass>
/dev/sda1     /mnt/hfsplus       hfsplus  defaults      0       0
Exit (ctrl+X)
and save

The options 'defaults' are 'rw, suid, dev, exec, auto, nouser, and async'.
There are a lot of options that you can specify. May be you can have a look to the man pages of 'mount'
Code:
man mount

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Another question........in step 3b, what ip address do I use. Where do I find it exactly on my mac or AEBS utility? Do I use the address as I see it in that step. A basic question probably, but am just trying to get all this right.:)

Also steps 3a,b,c are being done on my mac through terminal? And username and password is my admin username and password?

Thanks.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
Another question........in step 3b, what ip address do I use. Where do I find it exactly on my mac or AEBS utility? Do I use the address as I see it in that step. A basic question probably, but am just trying to get all this right.:)

The ip address you should use can be found in the System preferences --> Network preference pane. The exact location will depend on your connection type. Assuming your connected via ethernet, click on "ethernet" from the list of connections available. Here it should say "Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" If your using airport, "AirPort is connected to NETWORK and has the IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"

Also steps 3a,b,c are being done on my mac through terminal? And username and password is my admin username and password?

Step 3a,b,c are all done on the ps3 in linux's Terminal application. The username and password is your mac's username and password that you need to connect to the shared folder.

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
When I type the command to copy the bd-movie.iso, it is placing it in the netshare folder I created in my home folder in ubuntu. Of course I only partitioned 10 gigs so it runs out of room. How do I communicate "send the file" to my mac through the network (SMB). I am connected via ethernet through an AEBS that is also connected to the ps3.

I would really appreciate any help:)

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
When I type the command to copy the bd-movie.iso, it is placing it in the netshare folder I created in my home folder in ubuntu. Of course I only partitioned 10 gigs so it runs out of room. How do I communicate "send the file" to my mac through the network (SMB). I am connected via ethernet through an AEBS that is also connected to the ps3.

I would really appreciate any help:)

When you tell the ps3 to mount the NetShare folder that is shared from your mac, do you see the icon on the desktop of the ps3? If not then something isn't happening correctly.

I was wrong before when I said that steps 3a,b,c where done on the ps3. They can actually be done on either the ps3's terminal application or the mac's terminal application. If done on the mac, you need to know how to SSH into your ps3 before issuing the commands. If you do it on your ps3, then you can use the commands I posted earlier.

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
No there isn't an icon on the desktop, but there is an icon called netshare in Places/Home Folder. Is the icon mounted on my mac desktop? I guess I am really needing to know how to mount my SMB share (finder/go/connect to server then type smb//what address?) Am I on the right track here? I will try again today and see if I missed something. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
At step 3b in original post is there a particular command I need to type to mount my mac smb share. I get to this point in this guide, and am stuck. I would be one happy camper if someone could please help me. :confused::)

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
At step 3b in original post is there a particular command I need to type to mount my mac smb share. I get to this point in this guide, and am stuck. I would be one happy camper if someone could please help me. :confused::)

The icon should be on your ps3 linux's desktop. You will need to know the ip address of your mac. Make sure you have SMB sharing enabled in your mac's system preferences. If you type this code into terminal on the ps3, it will tell you if your ps3 is seeing your macs SMB share:

Code:

where 192.168.1.110 is the IP address of your mac. Once you know your ip address and the name of the share on your mac and know that SMB sharing is enabled, type this into the ps3:

Code:
sudo smbmount //192.168.1.110/NetShare /home/ps3username/netshare -o username=Macusername,password=myMacssecretpassword,uid=1000,mask=000

Of course, change the ip address again, and the name of "NetShare" to whatever folder you are sharing on your mac. Also
ps3username= whatever name you log into ps3 linux with
Macusername= your mac administrator username
myMacssecretpassword= administrator password

Good luck! Ask if you have any more questions.

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
ok.....now I am getting "mount error13= Permission denied" Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I have done everything I can think of. I have typed the code and verified that the folder "shared" is showing up on the Ubuntu side of the network. One weird thing is that if I add a folder to my shared list on my mac, it will not show up on the ubuntu side. My shared and public folders are, so I was trying to use those. Is any of the code commands case sensitive in any way? Boy I want this to work! Also When I type the mount code on page one of this thread, I get a menu with various mounting options. Is there a specific code I need at that point in order to get my shared folder to mount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.