Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
For quite some time now, I've been downloading movies online, which usually come in .avi or .mkv format, and I've been using VisualHub to convert them to .mp4 with H.264 encoding for playback on my AppleTV.

The whole process is long and tedious and is really starting to wear on my nerves, and I was hoping someone might be able to suggest an alternative to my Apple TV that would be capable of playing back .avi & .mkv files on my TV without the need for any additional conversion, transcoding, resizing, resampling, compatibili-fying or any kind...

I am hoping to find a piece of hardware capable of 'plug-and-play'-esque ease of use and simplicity.

Any suggestions?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
A question that might be related - Does Apple TV have the same playback abilities as Front Row on a Mac? I know the interface is the same. Because I can play mkv and avi files fine on Front Row. Don't have an Apple TV, though, so I don't know if it goes both ways.

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
A question that might be related - Does Apple TV have the same playback abilities as Front Row on a Mac? I know the interface is the same. Because I can play mkv and avi files fine on Front Row. Don't have an Apple TV, though, so I don't know if it goes both ways.

Its more of a hardware issue than a software issue when its comes to .mkv, your computer has the hardware to play it and the ATV is kinda lacking

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks for recommending the Popcorn Hour A-110... I'd honestly never even heard of this device, but based on this Cnet UK video review/demo, as well as on your recommendations of course, I think I just might have to pick myself up one of these bad boys!!

Do you know if you can connect external storage to the A-110? How about playing back VIDEO_TS rips? Can it playback those?

Thanks!

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
Do you know if you can connect external storage to the A-110? How about playing back VIDEO_TS rips? Can it playback those?
It should play back VIDEO_TS but i never tried. For external storage you can plug a usb thumb drive or HDD to the USB ports. Personally i stream from my Synology NAS over ethernet as i like to have everything in one place.

dhd

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
Hamster-Dam
I think that you don't need to re-encode avi's to mp4, as they're already in mp4 video format. You will only loose more quality (the avi's you download are already compressed). If I were you I'll download mpeg stremclip, open the avi in question with it, go to File and Save as..., in the dialog box select MOV, once the file is saved you change the extension of that MOV to mp4 if you wish.

Kind Regards

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
I second the Popcorn Hour. It plays just about anything you throw at it. I'm seriously considering selling my AppleTV and getting a Mini instead.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I second the Popcorn Hour. It plays just about anything you throw at it. I'm seriously considering selling my AppleTV and getting a Mini instead.

you'll be happy you did :)

just watch processor usage/heat with loong 1080p videos :)

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
The usb patchstick should allow for more playback of differing video. If I'm not mistaken my son patched his ATV and can now play .avi and .mkv format video. Might be worth investigating.

mfillhart

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2009
boxee

just install boxee and everything will play for ya, that's how it works for me anyways

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I've tried XMBC & Boxee via atvflash and I always ran into issues with skipping and stuttering...

I'll most likely give popcorn hour a shot and hopefully that will solve all my problems!

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
I've tried XMBC & Boxee via atvflash and I always ran into issues with skipping and stuttering...

I'll most likely give popcorn hour a shot and hopefully that will solve all my problems!

Agreed - MKVs dont play properly on a hacked Apple TV.

Also, saving a MKV as a MOV gave me issues too... I am currently using Handbrake/VH to convert them. Pain.

crazytrain

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Western Digital TV Live (with external USB drive or hub, depending on your preference) has always worked fine for me - plays anything you can throw at it (including TS files, as you asked). I rip Blurays using makemkv so have full 1080p resolution on very large files (20-30GB each) and the WD plays them with no problems whatsoever

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK
Agreed - MKVs dont play properly on a hacked Apple TV.

Also, saving a MKV as a MOV gave me issues too... I am currently using Handbrake/VH to convert them. Pain.

My 2 x JB ATV2 plays MKV Files using XBMC without any issues at all?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Western Digital TV Live (with external USB drive or hub, depending on your preference) has always worked fine for me - plays anything you can throw at it (including TS files, as you asked). I rip Blurays using makemkv so have full 1080p resolution on very large files (20-30GB each) and the WD plays them with no problems whatsoever

No passthru for TrueHD.

I would instead suggest PopCorn Hour A-400.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
If you have the extra money to spend why not just upgrade to a Smart TV. All my MKVs on my usb HD plugged into my Airport Extreme work perfectly and the interface is really easy to use. You will need a computer running plex, but from my experience it doesn't look like it uses the computer processor at all. I downloaded a 20gb MKV 3D movie just to try to throw such a large file at it and It did not stop or stutter one time. I do have mine hooked directly through ethernet, but it is way more reliable than XBMC IMO. If you are gonna spend that much why not get a new TV out of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.