Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the release of Apple's iPhone 3.0 beta firmware, users have been scouring the configuration files looking for evidence of future iPhone capabilities. The possibility of video recording has seemed increasingly certain with files for video uploading and editing having been discovered.

A new finding, however, should put to rest any doubts about whether or not Apple is planning to include video recording in future iPhones. This screenshot, which was discovered in the latest iPhone 3.0 beta, shows the interface Apple will provide for video recording:

081242-cameramr.jpg

The interface shows the normal iPhone camera interface but with a switch on the bottom right which toggles between still camera photography and video recording. The video recording is not presently functional in iPhone 3.0 beta, and the interface is not accessible by default. Only when configuration files were modified telling the firmware that a Video Camera was present will this interface appear.

Other interesting capabilities found in the configuration files include "auto-focus camera", "magnetometer" (digital compass), and "Voice Control".

Apple is expected to release the final version of iPhone 3.0 this summer, and many believe that Apple will also introduce an updated iPhone around that time as well.

Article Link: iPhone Video Recording Interface, Digital Compass, Voice Control and Auto-Focus Camera

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Can't wait! I haven't had the chance in poking around 3.0 Beta 2, but I'd like to see if this is easily enabled.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
...with a better quality camera hopefully.
what were the rumours? 3.1 and 5 MP (possibly for some future 'product')

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I wonder if the video record will be enabled in the current iPhone, or you will have to purchase the new one to use it

ZunePod

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
This is just getting me more and more excited about the new iPhone, infact, I'm going to put this firmware on my iPod now and scroll through the files

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
That's awesome. Can't wait to be able to record videos on my iPhone!

But I wonder, will this work on the 2G and 3G iPhones?

scottintosh

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
The first gen iPhone is capable of video recording because there are apps for jailbroken phones that allow it. Video quality isn't that great though

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
I'm buying one!

My 1st gen iPhone is two years old... having purchased it on June 29 of '07. It's not holding battery charges very well these days... it dies after two hours of continuous use. I cannot WAIT for the new iPhone 3.0 and I'm definitely going to upgrade when the new phone arrives.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
The first gen iPhone is capable of video recording because there are apps for jailbroken phones that allow it. Video quality isn't that great though

I forget whether iPhone 2G 3.0 allows for video recording based on the (little) information we have. Most people know that it can record video on a jailbroken iPhone, yet the quality is lacking. Knowing Apple's insistence on quality, I wonder if they will officially allow it when 3.0 is released.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
I wonder if the video record will be enabled in the current iPhone, or you will have to purchase the new one to use it

I would think we would have it, but the next iphone will obviously be upgraded in certain ways and video for example will probably look better coming from that phone due to things like a lens change.

tiguk

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
UK
I forget whether iPhone 2G 3.0 allows for video recording based on the (little) information we have. Most people know that it can record video on a jailbroken iPhone, yet the quality is lacking. Knowing Apple's insistence on quality, I wonder if they will officially allow it when 3.0 is released.

No, not a chance.

This is one of the selling points of the new iPhone, they're not going to enable it for previous generations, otherwise they'd have announced it as part of iPhone OS 3.0

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Man, I need to stop reading rumor sites 'cause it's just making the wait intolerable! My first gen iPhone will be a year and a half old in June. I originally planned on holding out until the two year mark but there is just no way I will be able to wait!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Wow. The iPhone just gets better and better!

I'm going to be jealous of all the new iPhone owners in the summer while my 3G runs out its contract.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I believe I heard something about video recording not being enabled on current devices partly because of a memory problem. Perhaps the way the hardware currently is set up, video recording causes each frame to record in a buffer in the SAME section of flash memory every time. This constant rewriting of the same physical chunk of flash would eventually wear it out and damage the hardware. Perhaps newer hardware would buffer to nonflash RAM and therefore not wear it out.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No, not a chance.

This is one of the selling points of the new iPhone, they're not going to enable it for previous generations, otherwise they'd have announced it as part of iPhone OS 3.0

Marketing marketing, that's the way of the technological world. :eek:

I was wondering whether Apple has had these "new" features for a while. As many have mentioned, most smart phones have had MMS, cut/copy/paste, video recording, etc. so I'd be surprised if Apple released the iPhone without planning on releasing these features sometime down the road as it would be a bit of a gamble on not knowing if they would work in a multi-touch platform. Holding these features back and releasing them slowly seems to be a good strategy at keeping iPhone sales strong.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Since both versions of the current iPhones can record video, I hope that this new video recording software is available to everyone. However, I'm worried that it'll only be available to purchasers of v3.
Well, I was already excited about the inclusion of copy and paste. Everything else is vegan gravy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.