Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Let's see what members have stitched together as panoramas, and tell us how you did it if special software or techinique were involved.

Here is one taken Oct 2003 on Hurrican Ridge near Ruidoso, NM. Elevation a little over 10000 ft at this point and nearly always windy. It's a great hike or bike ride up.

Attachments

• Aspen_pano.jpg
    Aspen_pano.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 342

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I've got quite a few. Here's one I took out in Arizona.....6 images, composited in Photoshop.

D

Attachments

• parago1FlatSmall.jpg
    parago1FlatSmall.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 270

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Nice shots. I remember that Arizona shot while in DC for Geekfest '04. ;)

Panoramas are something I've yet to tackle, the main reason being I don't have a pano-head for my tripod. I'll get around to one someday.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
eyelikeart said:
Panoramas are something I've yet to tackle, the main reason being I don't have a pano-head for my tripod. I'll get around to one someday.

You don't need one. I took that without a tripod with my small little Canon S30 :D Its more photoshop magic getting the thing stitched together than anything else. Although now I have a auto stitcher that works quite nicely.

Here's one in Alaska I took in 1997 - again, photoshopped....:D

D

Attachments

• exitglacierPan.jpg
    exitglacierPan.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 294

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
eyelikeart said:
Nice shots. I remember that Arizona shot while in DC for Geekfest '04. ;)

A pano-head. Now you're scaring me, talking like a professional. Without a pano-head it's more fun to stitch together.<g>

This is using a deck railing for a tripod. Capitan Mountain range north of our house in the early am on an unusual foggy day for NM. The Capitans run east to west which is different for mountains in this country. I've got a theory that blurry and grainy aren't always bad, but only usually.

Attachments

• Capitans_Fog.jpg
    Capitans_Fog.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 221

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Mr. Anderson said:
You don't need one. I took that without a tripod with my small little Canon S30 :D Its more photoshop magic getting the thing stitched together than anything else. Although now I have a auto stitcher that works quite nicely.

Then I shall try something out. :D

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Mr. Anderson said:
I've got quite a few. Here's one I took out in Arizona.....6 images, composited in Photoshop.

D

Have you done any panoramas by panning the camera in vertical orientation? That's something I want to try soon.

Has anyone had Apple print panoramas, or have another printer they would recommend?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
JDar said:
Have you done any panoramas by panning the camera in vertical orientation? That's something I want to try soon.

I've not tried that - in a big city that would have an interesting effect, but it would be highly distorted.

I've done some qtvr stuff, though. But that's all 3D, not real....

http://www.dukestreet.com/cubic

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Mr. Anderson said:
Try something using a zoom lens so there's less image distortion/curving. It much more difficult to get rid of the curves as is proved by this image :D

Ah yes. That was a super wide angle though?

I've got my 70-300mm which should work. ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
eyelikeart said:
I've got my 70-300mm which should work. ;)

Anything over 100mm is good since it is pretty low on the distortion. Only thing is that you'll get a very narrow field of view. Trade offs :D

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

D

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Not THAT good (haven't even colour graded it yet...). No tripod, either - just pan and click...

But it's enough to bring back happy memories.

Sydney, December 2000...

Attachments

• Sydneyscape 1.jpg
    Sydneyscape 1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 336

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
kiwi_the_iwik said:
Not THAT good (haven't even colour graded it yet...). No tripod, either - just pan and click...

Sydney, December 2000...

That is nice and should blend well. Takes time, doesn't it. I learned that one can click on the image for a larger image (slow user) and really enjoyed it!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
kiwi_the_iwik said:

Sydney, December 2000...

if you want, send me the files and I'd love to see how well my stitcher works in getting it leveled.

D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Mr Anderson, is your stitcher a stand alone program, or part of another? anyways could you tell me its name or where i might be able to find it?

thanks

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Mr. Anderson said:
if you want, send me the files and I'd love to see how well my stitcher works in getting it leveled.

D

I would also be interested in what program you are using. Or if it's a plugin, its name and what program it belongs to.
TIA!

Tyler
Earendil

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wow, ps CS photomerge is nice! I just tried it on some sample files from panorama maker and it worked great.

So, I'd say its a bit more clunky (requires more steps) than PS, but it works well enough that if you didn't have PS CS you'd be happy. But check to see if there are any others that might be freeware...

D

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
Panoramas as a full time profession

I've been shooting panoramas professionally for the web and cd-rom for the past 8-9 years now. I use Realviz Stitcher to do rough proofs for the clients and then render the final panoramas using PTMac from Kekus.com.

Here are a few examples of recent jobs I've shot. If anyone has any questions I'm more then happy to help. You can email me on zoetropeuk at mac.com

1. http://honeywood.cubicvt.co.uk
2. http://www.zoetrope.uk.com/n66
3. http://www.zoetrope.uk.com/esporta_vr/vr_viewer/eso.cfm

I use both a Coolpix 5000 or a Fuji S2 pro with either the Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye or the 12-24mm DX lens. The first VR on the list isn't as good as it could have been as it was the first shoot with the S2 pro and my new lenses. I didn't really have time to calibrate the nodal point etc as I only received them the night before the shoot.

Matt

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
oaklandbum said:
This wasn't done by me, but by my business partner. I haven't gotten around to doing panaramic photos yet.

Oh yeah, he put it together using Photoshop 7

That is an inviting looking place to be. I like the darker edge vignette technique with enough detail there to frame and place, but not enough to distract. Extra donuts this am for your business partner.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
OK, I've got it.... I made a few nice panoramas and here are a few.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Attachments

• good ski mountains.jpg
    good ski mountains.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 192

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
javabear90 said:
OK, I've got it.... I made a few nice panoramas and here are a few.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

javabear90, those are perfectly put together and make me want to strap on the skis.

Here's my last panorama until I get back into NM in a couple of weeks. This is Sierra Blanca (near Ski Apache) looking very sierra but not blanca.

Attachments

• Baldy_pano.jpg
    Baldy_pano.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 182
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.