Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac atack303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Hey guys this is my first post.

I'm writing an app and I want to show a tableview displaying a list of currently installed applications such as:
Appstore
Photos
Preferences
Safari

In a table view.

The three things I don't know are:

1. How to set up a table view
2. How to read data (like from var/mobile/apllications)
3. How to save data

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
You probably won't get much help in this forum on jailbreak apps. You're better off asking the question somewhere that deals specifically with that kind of stuff.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Sorry that was a typo and it's cool I don't mind a joke.

Ps it's not about jailbroken stuff, it's about getting a table view out of applications list

It clearly is, but you edited your post to make it seem like it's not. You said it was for Winterboard themes so you wanted a list of applications installed :rolleyes: I don't think there's a public API for getting applications. There are certainly private ones to do it though, look at Erica Sadun's AppFlow (or whatever it was called) as an example. She made an app launcher in CoverFlow style. (I think it got rejected both for using CoverFlow and for accessing the application list, but I could be wrong on that last part)

Zac atack303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
It clearly is, but you edited your post to make it seem like it's not. You said it was for Winterboard themes so you wanted a list of applications installed :rolleyes: I don't think there's a public API for getting applications. There are certainly private ones to do it though, look at Erica Sadun's AppFlow (or whatever it was called) as an example. She made an app launcher in CoverFlow style. (I think it got rejected both for using CoverFlow and for accessing the application list, but I could be wrong on that last part)

No realy it's not I'm not a jailbreak freak I just wanted to make a cool app (like a goal to work towards) and it seemed to be a good challenge and I'm not releasing it or anything and all my other apps are strictly non-jailbroken
The reason I removed that part was because I didn't want people thinking I'm a jailbreak developer still I would like to know
how.

Zac atack303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009

Thanks for the help. I promise I won't ask for any more jailbroken apps help but still I'm a relatively new programmer and I do need real help on legit apps.

Zac atack303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Well then, for a legit app, no. You don't have access to list of currently installed applications.

Ok thanks for your help. Do you have any ideas for an app that's useful for learning? I've already writen a calculator app I want to try a view based app that involves switching views cause I know how to do that.

You seem like an experianced programmer what was your next step??

Ps I've already read books.

Pps by the way I'm not that old (barely a teenager) but I devoted to it and kept at it. I may very well be the youngest programmer for apple ever.

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Ok thanks for your help. Do you have any ideas for an app that's useful for learning?

Make me a sound engine that has the ability to play and construct music with sound samples based on scripts so I can change the music properties such as tempo and number of channels dynamically during the game to suit the atmosphere etc, I'd be ever so grateful that you saved me the job :p

Just kidding, Its hard to say what is good to learn with but the way I find easiest is to make demo's of ideas I have, a lot of the software I actually write spawns from little demo's I make

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Do you have any ideas for an app that's useful for learning?
I tend to favor apps that I know I myself would want to use. That way you have direct access to the end user. ;) This also works for people that you know. Start simple and build your experience from there.

Another approach to take is to find a simpler app that you think you understand and see if you can recreate it. Reverse-engineering, as it were. That's always an eye-opener.

Zac atack303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Ok thanks for your help. Do you have any ideas for an app that's useful for learning? I've already writen a calculator app I want to try a view based app that involves switching views cause I know how to do that.

You seem like an experianced programmer what was your next step??

Ps I've already read books.

Pps by the way I'm not that old (barely a teenager) but I devoted to it and kept at it. I may very well be the youngest programmer for apple ever.
I'm not bragging about it i'm only 13 so I don't expect to be good that's all I was saying and I have nothing on appstore I can't even develope on my iPod touch cause I don't have the "propper disk image" it says to contact apple I asume that is where u pay the money.

Btw I've already recreated some apps.
I need to know how to store a string there's an app my dad wants me to write, for memorization, he's been giving me ideas (he doesn't help me at all I'm doing this all on my own he doesn't know the first thing about apple) basicly an app that let's you type a string that you want to memorize then have the app store it and create an "entrée" named whatever you want it to be named then when you click on the entrée you have to type the first letter of each word example:
For god so loved
You type: f
iPhone displays: for
Then you type: g
Iphone displays: god
Then you type: s
iPhone displays: so
Then (you mess up): h
iPhone displays: incorrect

Basicly I need to know how to save/read/load the following:
Entree list
Entrée string
Entrée name

I'd apreciate any help thanks

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Zack, You should get one of the iPhone development books, read through it and do the exercises. That's probably the fastest way to learn.

Zac atack303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
Zack, You should get one of the iPhone development books, read through it and do the exercises. That's probably the fastest way to learn.

Thanks, um I read programming in objective c 2.0 by Stephen kochan.
But it's not really about iPhone so any suggestions??? Prefferably one that assumes prior asotiation with objective C.

Oh right and not the iPhone developers cookbook. I read part and I don't really like it.

Any suggestions on good books???

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I haven't seen or read it, but I've heard that

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone by Mark and LaMarche was really good.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I haven't seen or read it, but I've heard that

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone by Mark and LaMarche was really good.
I agree. Great book. Just be sure to fix all the typos before you start coding the examples. Unless you feel confident you can spot them on your own. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.