Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Behind the keys of my Apple Keyboard (the white one) is disgusting. I'd like to know if it would be safe to put it in the dishwasher. If not in the dishwasher, could I rinse it with dish soap and hot water?

Thanks for your help!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Behind the keys of my Apple Keyboard (the white one) is disgusting. I'd like to know if it would be safe to put it in the dishwasher. If not in the dishwasher, could I rinse it with dish soap and hot water?

Thanks for your help!
I would only dishwash a keyboard as a last resort. Rinsing is better but let it dry in a warm place for at least 48 hours.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
You know I actually read somewhere that this works, but I still wouldn't try it. Unplug the keyboard and use a small slotted screwdriver to gently pry the key caps off. Wipe the surface down with a damp cloth, then reassemble. (Might want to take a picture of the keyboard in advance. I can never remember where the + - * and / on the number pad go.) I also suggest wiping each individual key when you reassemble, since you have it apart anyway.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
There was a thread about this a while back... and I want to say that people have done so with mixed results.

I will try to dig up the thread

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Thanks for the quick responses! I am asking because not only is my keyboard disgusting, but a guy on the Apple forums said that he's been putting keyboards in the dishwasher for ages.

You know I actually read somewhere that this works, but I still wouldn't try it. Unplug the keyboard and use a small slotted screwdriver to gently pry the key caps off. Wipe the surface down with a damp cloth, then reassemble. (Might want to take a picture of the keyboard in advance. I can never remember where the + - * and / on the number pad go.) I also suggest wiping each individual key when you reassemble, since you have it apart anyway.

That's what I'll do then, unless someone else has a better idea.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I could see washing the keys, since they're just plastic. But I wouldn't subject the base (with the electronics) to anything but distilled water, and even then, make sure it's very well dried out before you plug it in again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And just where on your keyboard are you seeing the words "Dishwasher Safe"??? This is a ridiculous idea, IMO.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Whenever I've gotten a used computer, PC or Mac, I never take the keyboard or mouse . . . to much "personal user interface" for my liking.

After getting the keycaps clean, invest in a silicone skin and you'll be all set.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Put all the keys in a plastic ziploc bag with water and mild dishwashing soap. Shake it gently. Then repeat with clean water. Let dry.

I'll do that tomorrow to get the keys back to good as new.

Maybe you should wash your hads before computing?:p

I got the keyboard and MM second hand from my neighbor.;)

Anyways, I used BlueRevolution's scheme and it restored the keyboard to near new quality.

Here's what I did:

1. Took off all the key caps and put them in a strainer and rinsed with water, then set them to dry.

2. Used a dry paper towel to wipe out the fuzz and other crap in the base, then wiped between the posts with a wet paper towel.

3. Dried, then repeated step with Windex. Dried.

4. Wiped down the clear plastic with Windex, then reassembled.

5. Wiped top of keys with Windex, dried.

Just to make sure everything still works, is there an application I can download to show me what key I'm pressing? Thanks for all your help!

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I've washed my key board in the dishwasher several times.
I have kids ... so it gets disgusting ... even when you tell them "no food" near the computer.

Important !
electronics and water don't get along.
need small allen wrench set and small philips screwdriver.
need a dish for holding all the screws. There is a lot.
Also need a dish for the silicone "springs" under the keys.
Careful not to lose any. I lost one. F15 doesn't do anything that I can think of.

you get a big plastic piece with all the keys attached. This can go in dishwasher. (remember ... no electronics or cables in dishwasher).
Use no soap/detergent. just hot water.

Reassemble.
The keyboard looks like new after.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for the quick responses! I am asking because not only is my keyboard disgusting, but a guy on the Apple forums said that he's been putting keyboards in the dishwasher for ages.

Because everything you read online is true I would go ahead and do it.

I would use Cascade with JetDry to ensure you don't get water spots.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I've washed my key board in the dishwasher several times.
I have kids ... so it gets disgusting ... even when you tell them "no food" near the computer.

Important !
electronics and water don't get along.
need small allen wrench set and small philips screwdriver.
need a dish for holding all the screws. There is a lot.
Also need a dish for the silicone "springs" under the keys.
Careful not to lose any. I lost one. F15 doesn't do anything that I can think of.

you get a big plastic piece with all the keys attached. This can go in dishwasher. (remember ... no electronics or cables in dishwasher).
Use no soap/detergent. just hot water.

Reassemble.
The keyboard looks like new after.

That sounds pretty good.

Tomorrow I'll do that and combine your and flopticalcube's solutions for the best clean possible!:D

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
One preventative measure for the future would be to cover your keyboard with a cloth when it's not in use.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Just to make sure everything still works, is there an application I can download to show me what key I'm pressing? Thanks for all your help!

Mac OS X has one. Go into :apple: -> System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu and check Keyboard Viewer, as well as the "Show input menu in menu bar" option if it isn't. A new icon will appear in your menu bar, probably with a flag on it. (The icon varies depending on what keyboard layout you're using.) You can open the keyboard viewer from this menu, and it will highlight keys as they are pressed.

One preventative measure for the future would be to cover your keyboard with a cloth when it's not in use.

Most of the grime on keyboards is the product of contact with your fingers, not dust. I don't know that the cloth trick would do much.

Then again, my keyboard is very rarely not in use, except while I'm sleeping.

aidricksdad

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Round Rock
yall are just silly.....everyone knows you can only put WINDOWZ keyboards in the dishwasher....you have to put mac boards in the washing machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.