Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Silicon Alley Insider reports that according to a "plugged-in industry executive", Hulu is in the process of developing an iPhone application due for release within a matter of months.
Hulu is in the process of developing an app for Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and iPod touch, we have learned from a plugged-in industry executive. The app is coming soon (within a few months) and is "badass" -- as excellent as Hulu's Web site. Video will work over both wi-fi and 3G, we're told.
The report points out that while the are other video applications already available for the iPhone, Hulu is viewed as one of the leaders in innovation for the Web video industry, and so an app from it could be a compelling offering to drive expansion of the currently-small segment of mobile subscribers who watch video on their devices.

Article Link: Hulu iPhone App in the Works?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
i would love this

i remember them saying they wouldnt do it though

ditto. I think I also remember a forum post here that stated they knew people and they were "NEVER" gonna bring Hulu.

But of course this development might not even be true...hope it is though.

Bulldogger

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Like CBS app?

I just hope Hulu will show the entire episode and not just clips of its episodes.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
they're so deep into the pockets of the networks that i'm not optimistic about what will be the final product. in theory it sounds great, but in practice i'm not so sure...

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Oh hai Hulu- I will download it- count me in. Cause you're aliens- that's your gig.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I would definitely download this.

On a side note, I downloaded the Hulu extension for front row but was disappointed there's no way to actually search content from front row :(

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
If done well, this could make me have to change my pants. O_O

This would be seriously AWESOME.:D
I'd even pay for this app (but not if it were a subscription pay-to-stream service).
Definitely would have me upgrading my 1st-gen iPhone to the 3rd (when it's released) :)

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I would definitely download this.

On a side note, I downloaded the Hulu extension for front row but was disappointed there's no way to actually search content from front row :(

not sure about front row - but i know if you actually register for hulu you can create a queue and then add your RSS feed to Boxee/Plex. that's what i do

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Hope

I really hope this app makes it thru. Hulu is great from my Mac while @work. I still hold out hope for Sling too.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
Yeah, I tried that, but it wouldn't pick up my queue. Perhaps I'll try again tonight.

make sure your profile is set as public and you sign out and sign back in. i had to mess around with it to get it to work with Boxee but i am very happy with it.

MACingIS4Me

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
According to this article, Apple rejected SlingPlayer at the request of AT&T. It seems AT&T doesn't like TV shows being streamed over its network. I imagine they'll do the same thing with this Hulu app.

.....? and thats why there is slingplayer for S60, Windows Mobile, Palm, And Blackberry? yeah I'm sure that source is credible..

P.S. Engadget did an article about this and within in the hour it had an update saying that sling contacted them saying quote, "We have heard nothing from Apple on our application being denied or accepted."

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
This may just be me, but I'd be happy to pay a dollar or two for a hulu app. (Not more.)

This would give the networks something + ads. (They have been complaining about Hulu and how it might eventually reduce ad funding.)

Of course, I'd be much, much more happy if it was free/ad supported. I actually do make it a point to buy products from companies that advertise on Hulu. It makes me feel very 1950's-ish when people used to do that sort of thing.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Yeah.

"Sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed from within the United States".
Such a cute, apartheid-like attitude :rolleyes:

Would the mobile version display the same message?

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
This would be awesome but Apple could just as easily enable flash support and we could watch Hulu right now.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
According to this article, Apple rejected SlingPlayer at the request of AT&T. It seems AT&T doesn't like TV shows being streamed over its network. I imagine they'll do the same thing with this Hulu app.

huh? The yahoo article you linked starts their second sentence with "Reports this morning" which links to a BoyGenius article. Not only does the BoyGenius article headline end in a question mark but their source as an anonymous tipster.

Last time I checked the IP address from this so called tipster led to a US govt. prison facility! yet this blurb is making rounds around the internet as if it was reported by the Associated Press.

I'm not saying AT&T or Apple isn't rejecting Sling, I'm just pointing out an absurdity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.