Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I check the box and enter my Google Apps address but nothing ever syncs. Even with the iSync in the menu bar and initiating a sync that way.

Does it only work with Gmail?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm also curious about this. I enabled the check box, entered my info into Address Book for my Gmail account, and when i hit 'sync now' in the Menu Bar nothing happens (it says something about not having MobileMe -- I know!)

It's like iSync doesn't understand I want it to sync my Gmail contacts with Address Book, not MobileMe.

Anyone get this to actually work?

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
i dont think you can straight up sync your google contacts to your addressbook. you can only sync your google contacts to your addressbook to your iphone/ipod touch/isync compatible phone contacts.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I got it to work, there's a terminal command to start it and there's a way to run a terminal every hour or so. I'll get on my computer tomorrow and get the info and put it here.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
i dont think you can straight up sync your google contacts to your addressbook. you can only sync your google contacts to your addressbook to your iphone/ipod touch/isync compatible phone contacts.

I've already got that going (google contacts pushing back and forth to iPhone) but I want to get my computer up to date with those same contacts. This, according to Apple and Google, is the purpose of this feature in address book.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
The sync process occurs when you sync your iPhone with iTunes. If you don't have an iPhone, AFAIK, you can't do the sync with Google Contacts.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
The sync process occurs when you sync your iPhone with iTunes. If you don't have an iPhone, AFAIK, you can't do the sync with Google Contacts.

Nope. I believe you're thinking of standard syncing with address book to iPhone (via wire). My contacts sync over the air between the iPhone and Gmail, but not to Address Book on my Mac.

I'll wait until it's fixed to worry about it.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I'm not confused. I know what the original poster is talking about. He wants to have his Mac sync his Address Book contacts with Google. However, that option was only enabled for owners of iPhones and the sync was started when the users synced their iPhones with iTunes. Nowadays, Google offers an Exchange-compatible server for users to sync their contacts with bypassing their Macs.

So here's what can be done:

1) iPhone <-> Address Book = Wired. Just use iTunes with default settings;
2) iPhone <-> Google = Over the air. Must use Active Sync (Exchange);
3) iPhone <-> Address Book <-> Google = Wired. iTunes and setting the sync Google contacts checkbox in either iTunes or Address Book;
4) Address Book <-> Google = doesn't work without using option 3 or some not very public command.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
I'm not confused. I know what the original poster is talking about. He wants to have his Mac sync his Address Book contacts with Google. However, that option was only enabled for owners of iPhones and the sync was started when the users synced their iPhones with iTunes. Nowadays, Google offers an Exchange-compatible server for users to sync their contacts with bypassing their Macs.

3) iPhone <-> Address Book <-> Google = Wired. iTunes and setting the sync Google contacts checkbox in either iTunes or Address Book;
4) Address Book <-> Google = doesn't work without using option 3 or some not very public command.

thats my understanding of it too, which is dumb. currently my address book has fallen out of sync with my google contacts and im too lazy to fix it manually. :(

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

It sounded like you were saying even with the OTA sync method, the sync to Address Book only gets going when you plug in your phone (which, of course, is not true).

Yeah, this is what I was saying, however, according to Apple and Google this should work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbhockey/3460564647/sizes/l/

My problem isn't that we're trying to get something to work that isn't officially supported; it's that both Google and Apple advertise this feature and it's 100% broken.

I like having my contacts synced over the air because I only plug in my iPhone once a week or so. Maybe i'll just switch back until this gets fixed though.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Paste this into Terminal and it will sync with Google.

Code:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GoogleContactSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/gconsync --sync com.google.ContactSync

I sync every hour by using an app called Lingon. It's fairly simple and works quite well.

(Lingon will run a Terminal command on a schedule)

gyorgyk

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009

Code:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GoogleContactSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/gconsync --sync com.google.ContactSync

I sync every hour by using an app called Lingon. It's fairly simple and works quite well.

I have never used Lingon. Can you help me where and how should I setup/insert this terminal command for run every hour?
Thank you in advance!

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I have never used Lingon. Can you help me where and how should I setup/insert this terminal command for run every hour?
Thank you in advance!

It's really straight forward

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 3,972

JohnWulgaru

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Google Apps Sync!

Hi all,

my question is, and what I thought was the topic of this thread, how to sync the mac address book with google apps.
My experience is that syncing with a gmail account is no problem, syncing my iphone with google (or mac) works fine.
With the new iPhone OS 3.0 I can even sync multiple sources, but the sync apps to mac won't work.
As it seems it is able to connect to my user@domain.com apps account but when I hit sync nothing changes.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

sbandol

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
+1

I have tried also today to sync my Google Apps contacts and it doesn't work.
Calendar is syncing with iCal but Address Book doesn't.

Is there someone who can tell us how to do it?

Note: I have enabled "contacts service" in Google Apps Dashboard but it still doesn't work.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I want one thing: sync mac address book with google contacts.

This is not possible, right? It's odd how so many of the tutorials are not clear on this. Can someone say why the "sync with google" in preferences does not do what it says it will do?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
thanks for bringing this up! very helpful!

does anyone know how to sync your iCal with google calendar?? :confused:

EDIT: support seems to be build in for iCal and google. mybad.. eh it wont work for me anyway.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
a working semi-solution is to create a bash file with the terminal command above and then put it into login items. Therefore, this script will run every time you reboot. If you want it done sooner, you can also run it manually by double clicking on the file.

instructions:

1. set up google contacts merge in addressbook preferences

2. copy this to textedit and make a file with no extension and place it in your user folder. Name it "gmerge" (no quotes).

#!/bin/bash

3. open terminal

4. type this:

chmod +x gmerge

5. go to system preferences>accounts>login items and add the file as an item

saj777

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Spanning Sync

Spanning Sync costs $65. It will apparently sync Macs to Google Contacts;
then you depend on IOS to sync your iPhone/iPad/iPod contacts to Google.
Kind of a mess to verify it all works.

mnipp

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
In snow leopard in
~Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.GoogleContactSyncAgent.plist
is the StartInterval "1 hour(3600)" sync to google contacts you can change this to 5 mins(300) for more frequent syncing.

In leopard this maybe missing. I found this post http://blog.riobard.com/2009/07/20/gconsync that shows how to add a similar file to LaunchAgents to solve the none-syncing problem.

nbarrett

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
Syncing with Lion Server 10.7.2

I an running Lion Server 10.7.2 on my mac and I don't have the option to sync my contacts with google like I have on previous versions. Attached is a screenshot of what I see. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 10.19.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 10.19.07 AM.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 246

Jopernikus

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Click the + button

Click the + button at the bottom below your current accounts and create a new account. I think you can use an Exchange type for syncing to Google.

msfulgin

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
follow up question

Code:

This is the error I got when pasting in the text above:

Please correct the file to be a valid job. Check the manual for more information.

I am barely a user of tech so I don't understand the issue. Any advice relative to iMac is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.