Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
hi,

on my network, i have a windows pc, a macbook an xbox and a apple tv.

and when i transfer files from my mac to the pc and vice versa it is painfully slow, and the same goes for my apple tv.

is there something i can do to boost my network speed?

thanks

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Cable connections (ie Cat5 or Cat6) will be faster than wireless connections. If cable is not an option Wireless N is way faster than G. You would need a new router, N card for the PC, Xbox would be the same speed as it would still be G, and Apple TV I have no experience with.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
Cable connections (ie Cat5 or Cat6) will be faster than wireless connections. If cable is not an option Wireless N is way faster than G. You would need a new router, N card for the PC, Xbox would be the same speed as it would still be G, and Apple TV I have no experience with.

i actually just looked at my router and it is a wireless "N" router

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Unless you make it N only, if there are G devices network will stay at G speed.

Wireless speed is slow for transferring large files. Use ethernet cable instead.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I'm running a TC and I have wireless N to the MBP while a wii and some other devices connect at G, I have no problems. I think the N only situation only affects some routers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.