Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Bob_and_Doug.jpg

Serious.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Other than being completely pissed about giving the world Celine Dion, I have nothing but love for my Canadian brothers and sisters to the North.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Other than being completely pissed about giving the world Celine Dion, I have nothing but love for my Canadian brothers and sisters to the North.

Don't forget about Bryan Adams, but the Canadian government has apologized for him on several occasions :D

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I've only been to Nova Scotia and loved it. Most of the Canadians I've known are great (with only one exception). I like their accents too.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Its interesting that most Americans think of Canada as being similar to the US, because from an outsiders point of view being in the UK we tend to think of Canada as being very very different from the US and the only similarity being an accent.
I have to agree with you. Where I work I meet lots of people from all over the world and they all see the Canadians and Americans as very different. Most say that the Canadians are in general politer, kinder, cleaner and much better dressed and presentable. They see us of a cross between the europeans and americans. I have never traveled the the States so I can't really comment however I do believe we are slightly different, but every country is.

I do have to say though, I have met and heard stories of some pretty stupid americans before. In Banff for example by dad guided canoes and a common question was where the animals were kept at night and when did Folding Mountain fold up. My favorite though was a comment I got when I went bicycling across canada from a lady in California asking what type of snow plow we use on our bikes. Yes she was serious.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I have to agree with you. Where I work I meet lots of people from all over the world and they all see the Canadians and Americans as very different. Most say that the Canadians are in general politer, kinder, cleaner and much better dressed and presentable. They see us of a cross between the europeans and americans. I have never traveled the the States so I can't really comment however I do believe we are slightly different, but every country is.

I do have to say though, I have met and heard stories of some pretty stupid americans before. In Banff for example by dad guided canoes and a common question was where the animals were kept at night and when did Folding Mountain fold up. My favorite though was a comment I got when I went bicycling across canada from a lady in California asking what type of snow plow we use on our bikes. Yes she was serious.

This is actually how most people in Europe view Americans and how they differentiate them from Canadians but i didn't want to write it in fear of being branded racist. The truth is most people in Europe actually respected the US and viewed them as a world power until G.W Bush got into power, and now we have this sad stereotype of them as the obese, unhealthy, uneducated, obnoxious laughing stock of the world, and its sad for a country that actually has a lot going for it, hopefully Obama will help to fix that, but theres already cracks appearing in his administration.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I don't really understand the question. I don't have any particular thoughts on 'Canadians' ... how could you? It depends who they are. My best friend is Canadian, but then one of my former bosses - a complete rear opening :D - is Canadian too. I also knew an absolute bombshell from Newfoundland. What are the chances, eh?

Canada: Cold, marginally better beer than the US. hockey, mounties, Quebec, Canadian football. Canada (Aus too) needs to shed the commonwealth thing though.

I wouldn't mind living there, even though I hate the cold.

The truth is most people in Europe actually respected the US and viewed them as a world power until G.W Bush got into power, and now we have this sad stereotype of them as the obese, unhealthy, uneducated, obnoxious laughing stock of the world, and its sad for a country that actually has a lot going for it, hopefully Obama will help to fix that, but theres already cracks appearing in his administration.

I'm no Bushie (look at my avatar!), but this is nonsense. The US wasn't widely 'respected' in Europe before GWB, GWB just confirmed everyone's stereotypes.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Canada brought:
A hat to America
Hockey
Maple Syrup
A reason to say "eh" often.

I have no reason to hate Canada.

booste

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Canada, In an igloo obviously.
I don't really understand the question. I don't have any particular thoughts on 'Canadians' ... how could you? It depends who they are. My best friend is Canadian, but then one of my former bosses - a complete rear opening :D - is Canadian too. I also knew an absolute bombshell from Newfoundland. What are the chances, eh?

Canada: Cold, marginally better beer than the US. hockey, mounties, Quebec, Canadian football. Canada (Aus too) needs to shed the commonwealth thing though.

In the west it's a lot milder. Warmer winters and cooler summers than the rest of the country. We don't get a lot of snow compared to Manitoba or Ontario.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
In the west it's a lot milder. Warmer winters and cooler summers than the rest of the country. We don't get a lot of snow compared to Manitoba or Ontario.

That's true. Vancouver is often an afterthought for me since all my friends have moved from there. They are all on the east side... the worst place being Halifax. not that there is anything wrong with Halifax. It's just cold.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I recently traveled to Toronto by myself for the first time and met some great people. I have nothing against Canadians :)

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Never! We love the Queen:eek:

And pfft, it's not cold here. I'm in Ottawa and we didn't see any temps much below 25-30 this winter. Further north, maybe but that area is only fit for moose and hardy souls with bushy beards.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
No matter what you think of us, you have a lot to thank us for...

The Blackberry is Canadian
Insulin was discovered here by a Canadian (Frederick Banting)
Basketball was invented by a Canadian (James Naismith)
Superman was created by a Canadian (Joe Shuster)
Standard Time was invented by a Canadian (Sanford Fleming)
The telephone was conceived here (Bell)
Peanut Butter was invented by a Canadian (Marcellus Edson)
The Canadarm is Canadian
The Wonderbra was invented by a Canadian (Louise Poirer)
The Pacemaker is Canadian
So is the zipper
So is the instant replay
So are instant mashed potatoes

I know instant mashed potatoes tops my list. Feel free to add.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Further north, maybe but that area is only fit for moose and hardy souls with bushy beards.

Careful, that's my Mum you're talking about.

The Blackberry is Canadian
Insulin was discovered here by a Canadian (Frederick Banting)
Basketball was invented by a Canadian (James Naismith)
Superman was created by a Canadian (Joe Shuster)
Standard Time was invented by a Canadian (Sanford Fleming)
The telephone was conceived here (Bell)
Peanut Butter was invented by a Canadian (Marcellus Edson)
The Canadarm is Canadian
The Wonderbra was invented by a Canadian (Louise Poirer)
The Pacemaker is Canadian
So is the zipper
So is the instant replay
So are instant mashed potatoes

I know instant mashed potatoes tops my list. Feel free to add.
Neat. Reads like a Scottish tea towel we have in the pantry. They invented raincoats and shouting at cars.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Never! We love the Queen:eek:

And pfft, it's not cold here. I'm in Ottawa and we didn't see any temps much below 25-30 this winter. Further north, maybe but that area is only fit for moose and hardy souls with bushy beards.

Ottawa you say? I live in Carleton Place and go to Algonquin. Small world eh?

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
I LOVE Canada (esp. Victoria!). A friend once said to me "Canada does cities really well--they have so many great cities!" And he was right: Victoria, Vancouver, Montreal, etc. etc.

I also love your national anthem. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.