Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whackintosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not talking about giving it away or selling it to another person or anything like that. I'm just hoping to install Office on my (upcoming) desktop setup as well as on my Macbook so that I always have access to it. This would be the full version, not the educational one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I purchased it they said it was good for two installs.
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC HOME & STUDENT EDITION
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC STANDARD

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. Licensed Device. The licensed device is the device on which you use the software. You may install and use up to three copies of the software on the licensed device(s).
b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.
c. Network Device. You may also install one copy on a network device. You may only use that copy as described in the Remote Access section below.
d. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed as a single unit. You may not separate the components and install them on different devices.

Office for Mac Professional 2004 is limited to two installs.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
The Home and Student version is good for three installations. It's probably also worth note that you can move an installation from one computer to another.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ar'nt there THREE product keys on the side of the box? At least there are on the ones sold in NZ.

Three keys, three installs.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC HOME & STUDENT EDITION
MICROSOFT OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC STANDARD

Office for Mac Professional 2004 is limited to two installs.

Mine is Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Student Edition, but I did purchase it at a discounted price as a student of my university. Possibly makes a difference?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ar'nt there THREE product keys on the side of the box? At least there are on the ones sold in NZ.

Three keys, three installs.

Only one product key on mine, that says it is good for two installs.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Mine is Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Student Edition, but I did purchase it at a discounted price as a student of my university. Possibly makes a difference?
The price you pay has no bearing on the license agreement.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I've got the Mega Wonderful Wow This Is Awesome Edition (whatever the "high end" one was when it came out, Expression Media or something?) that allows it to be installed on 2, but can only run it on 1 machine at a time. So frustrating. If I open up Word and my wife has an Office app open I get the "someone else is using Office..." message and Word quits on me. I got it for free though, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, lol.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
No, the licensing agreement doesn't change, no matter where the software is sold.

I may be wrong, so I will put this as a question and not a statement. If it does not change why does my product specifically say...

"Microsoft Office 2008 for Macintosh Student Select License and Media Bundle. For sale to students, faculty and staff only."

And if it in fact does not change, then you are saying that the IT guys are our store are wrong and my software is good for 3 installs?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I may be wrong, so I will put this as a question and not a statement. If it does not change why does my product specifically say...

"Microsoft Office 2008 for Macintosh Student Select License and Media Bundle. For sale to students, faculty and staff only."

And if it in fact does not change, then you are saying that the IT guys are our store are wrong and my software is good for 3 installs?

That's because the VERSION is for education. The license agreement follows the VERSION, not any specific discount or vendor. Your IT guys are not the authoritative word... Microsoft is. Just read the license agreement that goes with your version. If your IT guys disagree with that, they're absolutely wrong.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Not talking about giving it away or selling it to another person or anything like that. I'm just hoping to install Office on my (upcoming) desktop setup as well as on my Macbook so that I always have access to it. This would be the full version, not the educational one.

Not sure about the legality of it, but youcan, either way.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
That's because the VERSION is for education. The license agreement follows the VERSION, not any specific discount or vendor. Your IT guys are not the authoritative word... Microsoft is. Just read the license agreement that goes with your version. If your IT guys disagree with that, they're absolutely wrong.

Yeah, that is what I meant I suppose. The different version could have a different license, correct?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Right, that was my point. If you get a different "version" when you buy it from the university than it "does matter" where you bought it/how much you paid. Technically it is not "the price" or the "location" that makes the difference, but to argue that is just semantics. :D

The point is, there is only one Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition. It is the same, and has the same license agreement, no matter where you buy it. You don't get a different version or a different license agreement, because there IS no other version for students.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
The point is, there is only one Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition. It is the same, and has the same license agreement, no matter where you buy it. You don't get a different version or a different license agreement, because there IS no other version for students.

So then, my version is good for 3 installs as well, they were just incorrect.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

it seems his is a different version and hence has a different license agreement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.