Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
DVD wasn't there either

I wouldn't get too excited about Blu-ray just yet. As 9to5 points out, DVD wasn't in the previous description either.

Picture%203-1.png

Picture%2018(1).png

mike41423

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
wifi interferes with bluetooth audio in beta 4.. if I cut off wifi or run in airplane mode it is perfect again.

Good to know that I can at least use it as a bluetooth ipod :)

This has happened on every release for me. I figured it was due to both using the same frequency, though Bluetooth hops frequencies like thumper rabbit. But you are correct turning off wifi with bluetooth on fixes any issues I have for stereo or mono Bluetooth.

dbell

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
The thing about Blu-Ray is that it will probably die as a medium. Sony had the field alone but never got universal release from the producers. Now it seems more likely that downloads in a 1080 environment (or even 720 as the cable types would like to have it) will take over. Why disc? FCP to drive is equal or greater than blue-ray.

Blue-Ray isn't going anywhere until a new (physical) medium comes along.

Not everyone has access to the internet to be able to download media and not everyone on the internet has, or wants, high speed broadband.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I wouldn't get too excited about Blu-ray just yet. As 9to5 points out, DVD wasn't in the previous description either.

Picture%203-1.png

Picture%2018(1).png

Makes me wonder if apple is going to move away from the dvd player and now have iTunes be the media player also. Play DVD's and play Blu-rays within iTunes.

As far as Blu-ray dying as a medium. It will die, just not anytime soon. With the way sales are going it is picking up steam! Just check the sales figures.. they are out there...

Also can someone check to see if you can modify the black screen of the spring board to a picture of your choice yet?

Thanks

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hey i just updated, and at the end got the pink screen and an error 10 on itunes... any ideas?

Trying to restore now.

EDIT: couldnt get it to work with beta 4, keep getting error 10.
Had to restore back to beta 3 and it works fine again :)

Be careful. iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 3 will expire in a few days,
now that Beta 4 has been seeded.

R-Fly

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
One thing I notice that seems new is the little list index down the right side of the music list has stops on it between letters, instead of trying to cram all the letters in. So like: A o C o E o G o J o M o ... etc.

ooo

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Seems the 3004 error was due to my peer guardian firewall. Disabled it and it worked.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006

Uhh... that is evidence for Blu-ray, not against. The old iTunes could only work with CDs, so it only listed CDs... the new iTunes will work with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, so it lists CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.

As much as Apple attacks Microsoft for making things complicated, look at how many media apps are in Mac OS X:

iTunes
QuickTime
DVD Player

vs.

Windows Media Player

When a DVD or Blu-ray is inserted, it should appear under devices in iTunes, just like CDs do.

thedommer

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
This will probably get deleted but I need a developer to authorize a UUID. Please send me a message if you can it would be very much appreciated. in a bit of a pickle and urgently need tethering over the next few weeks. Help is greatly appreciated!

TGFits

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Web Tab in Apps

I have been using the 3.0 Beta since the 2nd beta version. I am in the ligit paid apple developer program. My one biggest issue is that web Tabs within certain apps don't display correctly. They are blank. Even when I access the web tab in Safari on the iPhone the pages come up blank. There may be some headings but the content is blank. Anyone else seeing this? Does this new beta fis this? Any help would be appreciated. I did not restore from backup after 3.0 install. I set up as new phone. :D

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Uhh... that is evidence for Blu-ray, not against. The old iTunes could only work with CDs, so it only listed CDs... the new iTunes will work with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, so it lists CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.

Not really. It is updating the terms of use with Gracenote, which is why it lists these. The early release of iTunes 8.2 does not play DVDs. And while I thought that iTunes may turn into an all in one hub, it doesn't explain all of the work with Quicktime X that has been shown in developer releases of Snow Leopard.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
The old iTunes could only work with CDs, so it only listed CDs... the new iTunes will work with CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs, so it lists CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.

As much as Apple attacks Microsoft for making things complicated, look at how many media apps are in Mac OS X:

iTunes
QuickTime
DVD Player

vs.

Windows Media Player

When a DVD or Blu-ray is inserted, it should appear under devices in iTunes, just like CDs do.

iTunes is just a front-end for QuickTime. Front Row is just a front-end for iTunes and DVD Player (and iPhoto). I don't think it's that complicated. I agree that in an ideal setup, iTunes would be a front-end for DVD Player.

Currently:
Front Row > iTunes > QuickTime
Front Row > DVD Player

Hopefully:
Front Row > iTunes > QuickTime + DVD Player

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The thing about Blu-Ray is that it will probably die as a medium. Sony had the field alone but never got universal release from the producers. Now it seems more likely that downloads in a 1080 environment (or even 720 as the cable types would like to have it) will take over. Why disc? FCP to drive is equal or greater than blue-ray.

no way, i will never buy movies online at least not as long as u can get it for the same price or even less on a disc, i need something in my *hands* + BD still looks better than ddls

Andrew657

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
London
Cel Data network

Anyone else getting a problem not seeing anything in the Cellular data network...

bit of a pain as i need to change the APN setting in there.

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
no way, i will never buy movies online at least not as long as u can get it for the same price or even less on a disc, i need something in my *hands* + BD still looks better than ddls

Not to mention the bitrate is massacred with these online downloads.

For people with home theaters, blu-ray discs are the way to go. Blu-ray won't fail unless a better format comes out (one that is cheaper). I have a theater for a reason so why would I bother watching crippled movies if there are blu-ray versions (full hd) available.

imanta

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2005
One thing I have noticed is that the calendar sync takes forever the first time... if you have a lot of items and you have several subscriptions, then its even worse. I actually disabled syncing it just to get everything else updated.

Conversely, backing up seems to go much faster than in the last build.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Surely, this DVD/BRD stuff is just to tag TV Shows/Movies in iTunes?

I wouldn't think so. Those aren't from DVDs or BRDs and any downloaded content presumably comes pre-tagged. Even if you do rip a movie from a DVD/BRD yourself, I don't see how Gracenote could identify those files.

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
Not really. It is updating the terms of use with Gracenote, which is why it lists these. The early release of iTunes 8.2 does not play DVDs. And while I thought that iTunes may turn into an all in one hub, it doesn't explain all of the work with Quicktime X that has been shown in developer releases of Snow Leopard.

I agree, Apple's just updating the terms that they are legally required to insert as a licensee/user of Gracenote technology

Apple made quite significant improvements to DVD Player for Leopard, and I don't see them chucking that away to use iTunes to play DVDs instead.

And gibbz, the work they're doing on Quicktime X won't be lost on iTunes. Don't forget, at the core of iTunes is Quicktime. Why do you think you can't install iTunes without it? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.