Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Why would they even think about releasing another MMO when they already own all of the current market?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My understanding, based on I don't know what, is that there will be at least one more WoW expansion. I'd say a year or so after the release of the last expansion, subscriptions will start to fall off. Blizzard will want to be ready with the next big thing I assume an MMO. The real question will be can they strike MMO gold twice?

marksandvig

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
ive heard a lot of people say that blizzard will stop wow after the next expansion too.. However, with a subscriber base that huge I highly doubt it.. In the end, Blizzard is a company that's sole purpose is to make money. And WOW makes them a lot of it.. Id say they'll make expansions until profitability drops significantly

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And because the latest expansion, WothLK is excellent, I see no immediate reason for the addicts to go in search of another fix. ;)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
In the end, Blizzard is a company that's sole purpose is to make money. And WOW makes them a lot of it.. Id say they'll make expansions until profitability drops significantly

Sole purpose? Isnt that the purpose of most business models? making money?

Blizzard is one of greatest game designer and publishers, ever. (never played WoW except the free beta, im speaking from WC1-3 and SC experience solely...though Diablo was bigger to some people, I never played it either)

To knock them down to another corporation of greed, EA pops into mind, is just so wrong.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
$25 to transfer to another server, $25 to switch character genders?

Yeah, i call that greed.

if you can afford $15 a month...I dont think $25 should matter to you.

losing your precious lvl70 (which took hundreds of dollars to make) because you want to switch servers or genders (lol, seriously?) must be worth it.

Mr. Burns

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
Madison, WI
My guess is the Starcraft series will be converted much like WoW was converted. No guess how they'll do it, but it will most likely be creative. I remember they were developing Starcraft:Ghost awhile back, but then I stopped hearing about it. That looked to be a first person action/platformer and may be the root for a MMORPG from the Starcraft universe. Although many screams of outrage will be heard from the Starcraft obsessed fanbase, a space themed MMORPG from Blizz would steal many nights of my life, and dollars from my pocket.

BTW: Do you think they will utilize this new tech:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/new_video_game_technology

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
$25 to transfer to another server, $25 to switch character genders?

Yeah, i call that greed.

It's $15 to update your character, including appearance, name and gender. It's $25 to move character to another server unless Blizzard is offering free moves due to overcrowding.

My guess is the Starcraft series will be converted much like WoW was converted. No guess how they'll do it, but it will most likely be creative. I remember they were developing Starcraft:Ghost awhile back, but then I stopped hearing about it. That looked to be a first person action/platformer and may be the root for a MMORPG from the Starcraft universe. Although many screams of outrage will be heard from the Starcraft obsessed fanbase, a space themed MMORPG from Blizz would steal many nights of my life, and dollars from my pocket.

BTW: Do you think they will utilize this new tech:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/new_video_game_technology

I don't know as I've been very content with WoW bouncing bosoms.

Hmm, World of Starcraft, the MMO... I need to think about how appealing that might be with average size breasts. ;)

marksandvig

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
if you can afford $15 a month...I dont think $25 should matter to you.

losing your precious lvl70 (which took hundreds of dollars to make) because you want to switch servers or genders (lol, seriously?) must be worth it.

Im not saying its something i really care about paying... However, this obviously is a service that takes little to no effort to complete on Blizzards part.

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
whatever it is i'm excited.

the only two full MMOs that ever caught my eye were my "first" Runescape (LOL), and World of Warcraft.

WoW, even with it's flaws, is the most popular MMORPG. blizz always knows what they are doing.

when this new game comes out, it's going to be AWESOME.

if you think about it we're really just scratching the surface when it comes to MMORPGS. imagine all the things you could accomplish as technology improves...

MATRIX ANYBODY?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
if you think about it we're really just scratching the surface when it comes to MMORPGS. imagine all the things you could accomplish as technology improves...

MATRIX ANYBODY?

I've always wanted a dynamic MMO environment where players can change things in the environment. The problem is when you have thousands of players on a server the developer must decide if they are going to offer everyone the same gaming experience or not.

Think about this, if the first group to run through the Dead Mines took Van Cleaf out, then what would everyone else do? Why even bother with a Deflas chain? Because of this, I see more of the same coming, a static environment and lots of kill and collect quests. It appears to be the only practical way to deal with millions of subscribers. However some of the instanced quests (not tradional dungeons) that Blizzard has done in WotLK has been pretty nice.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I think it will be a cloud MMO. like the services from OnLive.

They will try to capture not only PC gamers, but anyone with a HD television and you won't need any crazy video cards so it can look a lot better than WoW.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
WoW is one of the greatest games ever but now after somehing like 5 years of it, it bores me. I can barely bring myself to log in anymore. Looking forward to SC2 and D3 as diversions though.

waiwai

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Florida
my dad's friend is a graphic designer for Blizzard/Activision, and he was put on a "new" project a month ago... he wouldn't tell me what it was... but he said the game is set in the future... he's been working on the drafting stages of the environment portion of the game apparently.

i have come to a logical conclusion that it will be based on Starcraft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.