Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krycek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
First off hello to everyone on these forums, this is my first post but i have had numerous problems solved over the past year and a half thanks to posts and replies that originated here so i am far from new and thankyou for the help. This particular post is in regards to my macbook pro, it is a 2.0ghz coreDuo (one of the first of the line january 2006), 250gb hard drive, 2gb of ram, the usual other specs. About two days ago i had the macbook in the kitchen while i was cooking (i like to watch family guy when i cook) and when i reached to the top shelf to get an ingredient i knocked an empty glass jar which fell about three feet and hit the keyboard of the laptop right about the "JKL" set of keys, so on the logic board just below and to the left of the right internal fan.

Immediately after the impact the screen went black and the sleep indicator LED began to fade in and out like it normally would do if i closed the lid. I hit a few keys and it wouldn't wake up, so i closed the lid and waited for a few minutes then opened up the lid again and still nothing happened. I then held down the power button until the light went out and removed the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds, replaced the battery, and tried it again, but nothing. There is no sound of anything starting up after i press the power button. I have tried plugging it in to the AC adapter and attempting to turn it on, taking the battery out so the adapter is the only thing connected, but nothing changes the macbook pro is completely unresponsive.

I thought it could just be the power button so i removed the top case and connected another one i had lying around that i knew worked and the same thing happened. I don't know what else to do, it doesn't seem that the impact would have cracked a chip underneath the board and after taking off the topcase there was no signs whatsoever of the hit, it looked the same as ever. I of course do not have apple care, nor wish to send it to them to look at, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am pretty familiar with the insides of the macbook pro's and i have a digital camera if pictures would help in this situation or removing the logic board to see underneath it, just let me know what other information you can use. Thank you in advance for your help.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
First off hello to everyone on these forums, this is my first post but i have had numerous problems solved over the past year and a half thanks to posts and replies that originated here so i am far from new and thankyou for the help. This particular post is in regards to my macbook pro, it is a 2.0ghz coreDuo (one of the first of the line january 2006), 250gb hard drive, 2gb of ram, the usual other specs. About two days ago i had the macbook in the kitchen while i was cooking (i like to watch family guy when i cook) and when i reached to the top shelf to get an ingredient i knocked an empty glass jar which fell about three feet and hit the keyboard of the laptop right about the "JKL" set of keys, so on the logic board just below and to the left of the right internal fan.

Immediately after the impact the screen went black and the sleep indicator LED began to fade in and out like it normally would do if i closed the lid. I hit a few keys and it wouldn't wake up, so i closed the lid and waited for a few minutes then opened up the lid again and still nothing happened. I then held down the power button until the light went out and removed the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds, replaced the battery, and tried it again, but nothing. There is no sound of anything starting up after i press the power button. I have tried plugging it in to the AC adapter and attempting to turn it on, taking the battery out so the adapter is the only thing connected, but nothing changes the macbook pro is completely unresponsive.

I thought it could just be the power button so i removed the top case and connected another one i had lying around that i knew worked and the same thing happened. I don't know what else to do, it doesn't seem that the impact would have cracked a chip underneath the board and after taking off the topcase there was no signs whatsoever of the hit, it looked the same as ever. I of course do not have apple care, nor wish to send it to them to look at, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am pretty familiar with the insides of the macbook pro's and i have a digital camera if pictures would help in this situation or removing the logic board to see underneath it, just let me know what other information you can use. Thank you in advance for your help.

wow i would say that you did everything that i could think of and more. you sound pretty handy tho so maybe you could try taking it apart totally and then putting everything back together. something could have gotten knocked loose and by taking it apart and putting it back together you may find the problem. i swear that after i took apart my iBook G4 and put it back together it worked better.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It does sound like it went to sleep because of low power, but you've done the right things with the SMC reset, a/c adapter, etc.

So, it initially went to sleep, then became unresponsive after disconnecting power (if I have it right).

I'm looking at pics of the logic board, trying to see what cables might be nearby, but the closest is the display. The power connector is to the left of the left fan (multi-color, white connector). I suppose, if it were mine, I'd first wriggle every connector I could get to :), then, go to actually reseating. But, the recommended procedure is to reseat these:

• Left I/O flex cable
• Optical drive flex cable
• Trackpad flex cable
• Display LVDS cable
• Thermal sensor cables

You should be able to get pics of these at iFixit.

Sorry I can't come up with a more specific ideas... Hope it's something simple.

Krycek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the responses so far, and taking it apart and putting it back together seems to be the best option right now. I just went and got some new thermal paste so i am able to put it back together once i get it all apart and i hopefully will get to spend two or three hours on it tonight. In the meantime is there any way to test if the logic board is even getting power or any way to narrow down which component might be causing the problems? Also does it seem plausible to any of you that one of the chips on the underside of the board was damaged from the impact? :confused:

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Thanks for the responses so far, and taking it apart and putting it back together seems to be the best option right now. I just went and got some new thermal paste so i am able to put it back together once i get it all apart and i hopefully will get to spend two or three hours on it tonight. In the meantime is there any way to test if the logic board is even getting power or any way to narrow down which component might be causing the problems? Also does it seem plausible to any of you that one of the chips on the underside of the board was damaged from the impact? :confused:

i guess it is possible. but it would have to be right near the impact site. the jar could have hit at just the right angle for the most pressure at the smaller surface area to make it really effect the impact area. as for testing the power im not a power person tend to stay away from it. had a bad experience with a light bulb and getting electrocuted and stayed away ever since. good luck tonite.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

I was a bit hesitant to post the following, but you seem comfortable working around the internals.

There's a way to power on the system, without the top cover in place. There are two pads on the logic board which, when shorted, will act as the power button. I'm not sure if this will help, since you said you had another top cover and tried it. Obviously, be very careful when doing this since shorting the wrong thing can make things go from bad to worse (my reason for not posting in the first place). So, with all disclaimers and warnings in place, here's the image showing where the pads are. They're labeled "PWR BTN" (vertically) with a line pointing to the pair of pads, which are also framed in white. I believe I found the correct info for the Core Duo 2GHz, so the image should be correct.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 93

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US

Finally.....the chosen one. One who googles and reads before posting. A person that doesnt ask about which hardcase or cleaner to use.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Finally.....the chosen one. One who googles and reads before posting. A person that doesnt ask about which hardcase or cleaner to use.

LOL +1

Or, something like "My cmd key feels slightly less springy, compared with the tilde." or the inevitable "Should I wait for the next model?"

Nice to have a real problem to work on. :D

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
there almost need to be a facebook style- dont like- tab to hit, and if enough people hit it, it goes to wasteland for being another crappy repetitive thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.