Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
For some reason i can't minimze any windows?!? the little yellow icon in the middle of the red and green icons isn't even there...Im not sure what happened but it is really annoying! any help please!?

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
wrxguy said:
For some reason i can't minimze any windows?!? the little yellow icon in the middle of the red and green icons isn't even there...Im not sure what happened but it is really annoying! any help please!?

Oh my god, I had this exact same problem a few months ago, I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, its the weirdest thing ever isn't it? :eek: To be honest I never figured out how it happened or a proper fix for it. But have you restarted your mac since this happened? For me once I restarted it went away. Freaked me out though for a bit heh.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I really don't know what to suggest, except that maybe you need to use a cleanup utility like OnyX to set things right if some important file became corrupted.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
wrxguy said:
I restarted and BAM there it is again?! what the helL!??!?!

sometimes things just get a little wonky. Don't ask me how, but they do. A restart'll do ya good. Also, repairing permissions help things that go wonky (of reaaallyyyy slooowww) fix things. It's all good.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
you can always use apple-h until you find a solution if it is bothering you that much.

dbrashler

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Can't minimize

I'm having the same issue -- interesting to note tho -- only Apple apps seem to be affected -- Mail, iCal, Safari -- Word and Firefox don't have the issue. I can restart the program or restart the machine and the problem is gone initially, but returns.

Big Pain!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm having the same issue -- interesting to note tho -- only Apple apps seem to be affected -- Mail, iCal, Safari -- Word and Firefox don't have the issue. I can restart the program or restart the machine and the problem is gone initially, but returns.

Big Pain!

Two thousand five, 'kay? Two. Thousand. Five.:confused:

This wouldn't even remotely be the same situation.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
For some reason the OS seems to get disconnected from the Dock and disables the minimization. I haven't found a cause yet but I usually find that opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and running:
Code:
killall -HUP Dock

fixes it. The only downside is that all windows which are currently having issues will not suddenly start working but all new windows will behave properly.

Mullum

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
This problems appears when you use Spaces.
It seems that Apple knows about the problem and is searching for the answer. :apple:

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
USA
same deal here. I can't minimize or close windows, and it's completely at random. I go click on something else randomly and come back to the x/- buttons and then they work. I really hope 10.5.7 fixes this. I have done a lot of cleaning, restarted, etc. Does not matter if i'm using an external mouse or the touchpad. Something is wrong with the OS.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
This thread is from 2005, it applies to a completely different operating system to what we use now.

Anyway i've begun to notice this issue after the last update, hopefully 10.5.7 will fix it.

Helo2050

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
This thread is from 2005, it applies to a completely different operating system to what we use now.

Anyway i've begun to notice this issue after the last update, hopefully 10.5.7 will fix it.

I just had this exact issue. Used the "killall -HUP Dock" in terminal solution

walktovanish

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
Simple Fix

The problem is actually caused by the way OS X handles full-screen applications like VMWare and VLC. To fix, open a movie in Quicktime, double-click to make fullscreen, and double-click again. When you go back to your window, the minimize icon should no longer be grey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.