Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanl

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
Really hope this solves the freezing issues on unibody Macbook Pros.

Mine usually freezes once or twice a day during WoW, but I've had it freeze while using Photoshop, Netflix Streaming and VMWare Fusion a couple of times.

I'm positive it's a driver issue, as it's never happened to me in Vista/Bootcamp mode.

Freezing? The old school computer geek in me says that freezing most likely has something to do with bad hardware. Most likely memory.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
No release in the 6 week gap between 23rd April to WWDC?
IF 10.5.7 does reference some interesting stuff, wouldn't there be time to have another build in between one released at WWDC?

If you're talking about Snow Leopard I said 10A355 not 10A335.

As far as 10.5 ? I don't see another release ( i.e. 10.5.8 ) between the release of 10.5.7 and WWDC. Unless Snow Leopard is really close to going gold internally. Then they might do some more polishing and added frameworks for any newer released hardware that's not dependent on the 10.0 kernel.

MacDaddy901

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2008
I have a completely newbie question. Will we see a new default wallpaper replacing the aurora come Snow Leopard?

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I'm stoked! 10.5.6 has been working pretty well for me (albeit not as well as 10.4.11 ever did) but it's always nice to have the best available.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
In a perverse sort of way I hope 10.5.7 isn't the last update. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be more excited about SL, but the more updates I get for each OS the more satisfied I feel cause I'm getting more mileage out of the OS.

Wanderer509

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
really hope it would solve my airport problem. my airport would sometimes disconnect from my wireless network and not see the SSID for a while, therefore making it unable to connect. i would have to wait like 5 minutes for it to work again, turning off airport doesnt do anything either. i confirmed its not my wireless since during those times my ps3 can connect flawlessly.

bring on the 10.5.7!

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
meh. big deal. get moving on snow leopard.

I am also getting really exited to see what happens with Snow Leopard.

I hope its the last version of Leopard. So it should be real stable and flawless. The only thing that won't be flawless is Safari 4 since its still a beta.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Please let us calibrate monitors again

Seriously please fix the DDC/CI issues with monitor calibration so we can use the 4870 cards with our overly expensive monitors!

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
at first i thought this was the about the release of snow leopard by a quick glance, and it seemed fishy.

all these 10.x.x posts are getting a bit confusing.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
you guinea pigs can go first, let the rest of us know how it goes. ;)

The 'guinea pigs' were all the developers who have been testing it for months already in the Apple developer connection, this is the final version, hence no BETA tag on it.

Im fed up of people on this forum not knowing what Beta means. Its Google's fault for making final versions of applications like Google Mail etc always stay in Beta stage :rolleyes:

rented mule

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
But what are you patiently waiting for? Are you having issues that you know 10.5.7 will address? 10.5.6 has been rock solid. ;)

Updated OpenGL and video drivers (especially for those that need the new drivers for the Radeon HD 4870).

Anyway...I'm tired of seeing "10.5.7 Due for Release SOON!?" every ****ing week since January.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Looking forward to the 10.5.7 update. I doubt that this will be the last release of Leopard prior to Snow Leopard here's why.

I don't think Apple will announce the immediate availability of Snow Leopard at WWDC. My expectation is that Apple will demo an almost complete version of Snow Leopard with Apple announcing that Snow Leopard will be released later in the year.

Apple will probably want to release Snow Leopard after the annual Back To School Promotion as a means to ensure a steady stream of Mac sales in the summer. It would then be logical to follow the promotion with the Snow Leopard release. It all ties back to Apple's fiscal quarters. Apple won't want to have a blow out summer with the school promotion, a Snow Leopard release, and an iPhone refresh. They will want to spread some of this out.

Apple's Fiscal Quarters are as follows:
Q1 - October, November, December
Q2 - January, Febuary, March
Q3 - April, May, June
Q4 - July, August, September

The Back to School promotion usually runs from mid June to mid September (give or take a few days). Thus, it makes sense for Apple to release Snow Leopard in conjunction with a series of Mac refreshes AFTER the conclusion of the school promotion and after the hype of the iPhone refresh release. It would be a great tactic to spur sales just in time for the start of the holiday shopping season!

Let's not forget what happened last year when Apple took on a bit too much when it rolled out the .Mac to MobileMe transition while subsequently releasing the iPhone 3G. Apple won't repeat the same mistake of taking on too many things at one time from a product refresh perspective.

Let's not forget about the Windows 7's release either which is also speculated to be rolled out later this year (it's already in RC stage). Apple and Microsoft will want to ensure the other doesn't get an extended period of coverage, thus I would expect that both OS's will be released within a few weeks of each other.

Just my take ;)

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
If you're talking about Snow Leopard I said 10A355 not 10A335.

As far as 10.5 ? I don't see another release ( i.e. 10.5.8 ) between the release of 10.5.7 and WWDC. Unless Snow Leopard is really close to going gold internally. Then they might do some more polishing and added frameworks for any newer released hardware that's not dependent on the 10.0 kernel.

Since we are all guessing; unless someone has cocktails with Steve, I see 10.5.8 before we see 10.6.0. This is Las Vegas after all; so I put money on it. A bet I would not mind loosing.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
That is unless you are having airport problems since 10.5.3 like me... :-/

Just curious... what is your router? Because my MBP stopped that when I switched to Apple routers ... due to the untimely death of my netgear router. Also helped the iMac in the kitchen. So I was just wondering...

Just be sure to unplug all of your external drives before you upgrade, since everyone is a guinea pig....

Mac OS X 10.3: The FireWire Debacle

This is great advice that needs to be posted in huge type... unplug your preifs prior to any any OS X update... any and all.

If nothing else it will speed up your install...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You can't be serious...what does a bug in an old PowerPC version of OS X from 2003 have to do with a Leopard update?

And you can't be so blind as to claim that every update is flawless in every way for every user. (Mr. Lawyer does, but you seem more reasonable than that fanboi.)

Apple's testing on a past release missed the rather significant issue that external hard drives were destroyed (corrupted) by the OS upgrade.

So, the original poster who said that he'd wait for the "guinea pigs" to install 10.5.7 before he did the jump is the smart one.

I'm running Windows 7 RC on most of my systems now - but the one box that I depend on for email and Visual Studio and other core work is still on Vista x64 - tried and true. It won't go to Win7 on that system until RTM, and then after a bare metal backup.

The OS doesn't matter - Linux/Windows/Vista/Solaris/OSX/OpenVMS/... - you don't upgrade the 24x7 systems as soon as something new appears.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Let's not forget about the Windows 7's release either which is also speculated to be rolled out later this year (it's already in RC stage). Apple and Microsoft will want to ensure the other doesn't get an extended period of coverage, thus I would expect that both OS's will be released within a few weeks of each other.

Just my take ;)

No. I see your point, but its wrong. Apple will let Microsoft release Windows 7, then when its out, and people start reporting the thousands of bugs, and some Windows bashing reviews get their teeth into it and give it terrible reviews Apple will slam out Snow Leopard as the saviour alternative, like the second coming of Christ, and eveyone will be like, hey Windows is so bad lets stick with something solid like Apple and Snow Leopard.

This will also give Apple more time to perfect Snow Leopard than Microsoft and Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.