Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vetteguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Has anyone heard about a 4th Generation iPod commming out? (or when..) Now with most new cellphones comming out that have built-in bluetooth for wireless handsfree sets, do you think that it is possible that Apple would incorperate this into the next iPod? like no wires to the headsets...that would be sweet...
dan

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmm...

vetteguy said:
Has anyone heard about a 4th Generation iPod commming out? (or when..) Now with most new cellphones comming out that have built-in bluetooth for wireless handsfree sets, do you think that it is possible that Apple would incorperate this into the next iPod? like no wires to the headsets...that would be sweet...
dan

Yeah, that's just what I want....a bluetooth enabled iPod that has a shorter battery life and takes nine hours to transfer stuff over a very slow BT connection....

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
appleretailguy said:
Yeah, that's just what I want....a bluetooth enabled iPod that has a shorter battery life and takes nine hours to transfer stuff over a very slow BT connection....

Maybe they just need to tune it to brainwaves and then it can be piped straight into our subconscious mind. I need to call Apple NOW!!! :D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Mr Maui said:
Maybe they just need to tune it to brainwaves and then it can be piped straight into our subconscious mind. I need to call Apple NOW!!! :D

actually science *is* perfecting a method of using sonic waves to cause the skull and inner-ear to reverberate without producing true audio... so, sitting in complete silence, your skull would vibrate and your own head would become a pair of headphones. 'Twould be nice.

But, i think we have a better chance of seeing this incorporated than bluetooth. seriously... Dude, these rumors have been around for years now, take a look around the archives. The general gist is that bluetooth = pointless... too slow to update music, too complicated for use with headset...

paul

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
vetteguy said:
dan

Apple's pretty secretive with new stuff - no one can tell you that they know for sure a new product's coming out and when unless they're lying.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
From what I've heard, bluetooth only has anough bandwidth for mono sound, not stereo. Thats why phones use them, and no MP3 players have. As far as updating songs with bluetooth.... Well, if you're at your computer, why not just pop it in the dock or plug it in? Bluetooth would take forever to update songs...

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
Capt Underpants said:
From what I've heard, bluetooth only has anough bandwidth for mono sound, not stereo. Thats why phones use them, and no MP3 players have. As far as updating songs with bluetooth.... Well, if you're at your computer, why not just pop it in the dock or plug it in? Bluetooth would take forever to update songs...
Thats exactly right. Bluetooth would sound much worse than traditional wired headphones. It wouldn't be worth it. The price addition + the battery life reduction along with the loss of sound quality wouldn't be worth it for apple, or the consumer.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
but what about the possability of using bluetooth to update the playlists - it wouldn't take more than a couple seconds, and synching songs and stuff could still be done over firewire. sometimes i don't want to update the songs, but it's a bit of a pain to have to find the cord to the power adapter and untangle everythign to get it plugged into my PB for one stupid 15 song playlist.

also, it could update the calander and contact lists. while i don't use the calander, the contact lists are kind of useful for people i just don't feel like having in my cell and addresses. is this asking too little for a feature that would probably drive up the price?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.