Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Does smcFanControl would able to control the fan at same rpm before boot up into vista? When I changed the rpm of fan to higher (3,000 rpm) under Mac OS X then boot up into Vista then it would be same rpm (3,000 rpm) what I was set or force back to default (back to 1,200 rpm)?

I need find fan test to find their speed under Vista, I need keep iMac so cooler when running the game.

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
if you set the fans with smcfancontrol while in os x then reboot in vista
(not shutdown )they should stay at the rpm you set them at while in os x

forgive me if i misunderstood

Yup, that what was match to my question.

I got it, thanks...

Mcchicken

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
is there a faster way to turn on smcfancontrol when I'm in XP without having to enter Mac OS ?

doctorgray

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Quicker way than SMC in Windows (XP/Vista/7)

No. There isn't a quicker way to control your fans in Windows. While what everyone has said before this post is correct, you fans will stay at the OS X selected speed until shutdown, I have not found a way to control your fans in Windows.

The problems has to do with the equivalent programs in Windows. The majority of them do not have the drivers/firmware installed to control Apple Fans.

I do recommend SpeedFan though. It is a good way to monitor the temperature of your computer while in Windows.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
awesome!!! I'll look into that, does it work with SMC or is it a seperate program that controls the fan speed for windows?

It works seperately to SMC, is an independent Windows program. Once installed it will have an icon the notifivation area like this:

capture_20052009_001646.jpg

Click on it and select Mac Book settings and you'll get this Window:

capture_20052009_002008.jpg

Just move sliders to set fan control.

Mcchicken

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
I see the lastest beta was from 2007.
Is there an errors that I'll encounter using this program? It looks awefully good!
It works seperately to SMC, is an independent Windows program. Once installed it will have an icon the notifivation area like this:

capture_20052009_001646.jpg

Click on it and select Mac Book settings and you'll get this Window:

capture_20052009_002008.jpg

Just move sliders to set fan control.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Input Remapper does not work right with my laptop (shown below). It cannot sense everything correctly, and will stop controlling the fan after a minute or so and I cannot change it again.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Windows 7 64bit. I've also had trouble with Vista and XP with the same problem.

That's weird, same version as what I'm using and have no issues with controlling the fans, usually have to kill KBDMGR.exe first though in the processes tab in Task Manager. Take it you have re-downloaded the file after changing from XP/Vista and not used the same one?

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
That's weird, same version as what I'm using and have no issues with controlling the fans, usually have to kill KBDMGR.exe first though in the processes tab in Task Manager. Take it you have re-downloaded the file after changing from XP/Vista and not used the same one?

Yep, I've downloaded it again. I start fresh and never upgrade. I've tried killing kbdmgr.exe, but that doesn't fix anything for me. I'm not too worried with it though.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The chips specs allow a maximum temperature of 105°C. Even after running stress tests for hours with a CPU temperature of around 100°C the computer wont crash. The GPU usually stays well below that anyway.

Besides, the fans are operated by hardware and thus run just the same on Windows as on OS X, at least on my late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro. As far as I can tell they ramp up quite late and slowly after a longer Idle period. But after that they react quicker. This is to make the computer quiet and nothing to worry about.

Just to mention it: iStat seems to read the CPU Diode instead of the Core temperatures. This usually is around 10°C higher than what's going on inside of the CPU. Furthermore Speedfan lists Core temps about 3-5°C higher than HWMonitor (which specifically supports Macbooks).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.