Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who has a server?

• I've got a Power Mac G3

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I've got a Power Mac G4

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I've got a Power Mac G5

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I've got an Xserve

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I don't have a server

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
As some of you may know, I've been wanting to setup a server with either a PM G3 or G4. I finally got a single 733 MHz G4, aka "Digital Audio," the one right before the Quicksilver.

Here are the other specs:

1 GB RAM

1x 60 GB IDE HDD; 1x 40 GB IDE HDD

DVD-RW drive

Cards: SCSI, USB 2.0, GeForce2 MX (I think)

How do you think it would be as a server?

Where can I get an inexpensive ATA controller?

Where can I get OS X Tiger Server (either version) cheaply?

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
As some of you may know, I've been wanting to setup a server with either a PM G3 or G4. I finally got a single 733 MHz G4, aka "Digital Audio," the one right before the Quicksilver.

Here are the other specs:

1 GB RAM

1x 60 GB IDE HDD; 1x 40 GB IDE HDD

DVD-RW drive

Cards: SCSI, USB 2.0, GeForce2 MX (I think)

How do you think it would be as a server?

Where can I get an inexpensive ATA controller?

Where can I get OS X Tiger Server (either version) cheaply?

Should be fine, but you don't need the server edition of Tiger for it (check ebay if you still want that route). Tiger client can do basically everything the server can do. NFS / SMB shares, etc are just as easily configured.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Should be fine, but you don't need the server edition of Tiger for it (check ebay if you still want that route). Tiger client can do basically everything the server can do. NFS / SMB shares, etc are just as easily configured.

That's great. I'd also like to have it act as an email server and maybe host a web site. Is that possible in the client version?

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
You can install Leopard/Leopard Server on it by tricking the installer. It works great on a 733MHz machine.

I would recommend this over Tiger with the amount of RAM you have.

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

I don't have the money for Leopard and I'd rather not circumvent the minimum processor requirement.

Anything is possible - its a standard BSD system at heart. Here is a guide to setting up sendmail (a mail server) on OSX: http://www.ish.com.au/node/126

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.