Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
For some reason, my iTunes icon has decided that it won't stay in the Dock. When I open it, it will sit on the right of the dock, like any application that doesn't have a permanent place on the Dock. It shouldn't - it always used to live in the middle. However, if I drag it back there, it stays in place about 1 second, and then shoots back over to the right again. Even if I select "Keep in Dock" from the context menu, that clears as soon as it moves back to the right. As soon as I shut down iTunes, the icon disappears.

I've done a lot of searching and it seems that loads of people have suffered this problem with various apps (i.e. it's not iTunes specific), but I've not yet found a solution. Some people have suggested it's a .Mac/mobile me syncing issue, but I've turned syncing off, reset syncing data, overwriting the mobile me Dock with my Mac Dock, everything I can think off - besides, the icon moves to the right so quickly that it's not had time to sync.

Another suggestion I've seen is deleting com.apple.dock.plist, logging out and back in again. Even doing this and starting with a "virgin" Dock still sees iTunes refusing to stay.

Oh yes, I've tried repairing disk permissions too.

Any suggestions - please?

curiousjohn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Certain Application Icons Won't Stay In the Dock. MobileMe Sync Data Corruption?

My AirPort Utility icon refuses to stay in the Dock. I'm almost certain this problem was caused by some sort of corruption of MobileMe sync data. I've tried nearly everything I can think of, including everything you mentioned, to get it to STAY in the Dock for more than 1-2 seconds. There are a few other threads addressing this problem, with a few suggested actions, of which none have a working solution. I've yet to see anyone reporting success in solving this problem.

What I considered my best idea was to:
1. Set MobileMe sync to 'manual' in MobileMe preferences.
2. Unregister all computers but the one having issue.
3. MOVE ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to your desktop
4. Repair Permissions
5. RUN 'killall Dock' in Terminal
6. Try adding the icon to dock to see if it stays put.

FAIL. The icon still disappears within 1-2 sec.
Any other ideas or tweaks to my steps above that may prove successful?

curiousjohn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Atlanta, GA
SUCCESS! I have a solution that worked for me!

I can gladly say the AirPort Utility icon is now staying in the dock. Here are the steps I took:

(Please read through all of the steps in this procedure before beginning. As always, you should have a full computer backup handy before messing with system files. This is what worked for me, it may not work for you. I am not responsible should anything go unexpected.)

4. Repair Permissions
(icon will not stay put in dock at this point.)
6. Open "System Preferences>MobileMe>Sync" and Select "Advanced"
7. Select "Reset Sync Data"
8. In the "Replace:" dialogue select "Dock Items"
9. Toggle the LEFT ARROW selecting "On this computer with info from MobileMe"
10. Click "Replace"

You'll see MobileMe doing its thing, replacing the data on your computer with the data it has stored on the cloud. When it completes try adding the icon to dock to see if it stays put. If it does, you have success! (If not, I have no more help for you but please read the rest.) There are a few more steps you will want to consider. When you moved ~/Library/Preferences/com.appl.dock.plist to the desktop, OSX automatically created a NEW com.apple.dock.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/ to replace it. But there's a problem; this file stores other Preferences like Spaces and Expose, and now all of these preferences are reset to factory defaults. Yikes! To get your settings back please continue below:

11. Take the com.apple.dock.plist file from step #3 (which should still be on your desktop) and place it back at ~/Library/Preferences/
12. RUN 'killall Dock' in Terminal

Now check to make sure the icon still stays in the dock. (For me it does) All of the icons in the Dock may be back to their factory defualts (they are for me) but the pesky icon that wouldn't stay in the dock now WILL! AND you've got all of your custom Spaces, Expose preferences back in order. Now all you need to do, to be back to normal, is add back all your preferred Application icons to the dock.

Hope this help someone! If it works for you please let us know and share this thread with others having this problem. :D

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I can gladly say the AirPort Utility icon is now staying in the dock. Here are the steps I took:

(Please read through all of the steps in this procedure before beginning. As always, you should have a full computer backup handy before messing with system files. This is what worked for me, it may not work for you. I am not responsible should anything go unexpected.)

4. Repair Permissions
10. Click "Replace"

You'll see MobileMe doing its thing, replacing the data on your computer with the data it has stored on the cloud. When it completes try adding the icon to dock to see if it stays put. If it does, you have success! (If not, I have no more help for you but please read the rest.) There are a few more steps you will want to consider. When you moved ~/Library/Preferences/com.appl.dock.plist to the desktop, OSX automatically created a NEW com.apple.dock.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/ to replace it. But there's a problem; this file stores other Preferences like Spaces and Expose, and now all of these preferences are reset to factory defaults. Yikes! To get your settings back please continue below:

11. Take the com.apple.dock.plist file from step #3 (which should still be on your desktop) and place it back at ~/Library/Preferences/

Now check to make sure the icon still stays in the dock. (For me it does) All of the icons in the Dock may be back to their factory defualts (they are for me) but the pesky icon that wouldn't stay in the dock now WILL! AND you've got all of your custom Spaces, Expose preferences back in order. Now all you need to do, to be back to normal, is add back all your preferred Application icons to the dock.

Hope this help someone! If it works for you please let us know and share this thread with others having this problem. :D

Can anyone else confirm that this (or something else) has worked for them? My iTunes icon started displaying this behavior earlier this afternoon for no apparent reason and I desperately want it fixed.

curiousjohn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Other solutions.

You may not need to change any system settings. This is just what worked for me. I think I saw a few people reporting success with just unregistering and then re-registering their computer with mobileme. Give it a try and report back!

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
You may not need to change any system settings. This is just what worked for me. I think I saw a few people reporting success with just unregistering and then re-registering their computer with mobileme. Give it a try and report back!

Mine seems to have spontaneously stopped (hopefully for good!) after just a repair permissions and multiple restarts. I didn't reset MobileMe settings so after a couple restarts it realized that the iTunes dock icon wasn't where it should be and put it there. In the past it would still snap out of position, but for now it isn't anymore. Hooray! Thanks for the advice though; if this fix isn't permanent, I'll follow your steps for a hopefully more permanent fixture.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Can anyone else confirm that this (or something else) has worked for them? My iTunes icon started displaying this behavior earlier this afternoon for no apparent reason and I desperately want it fixed.

So why don't you try it yourself?

Because I'd like to know if anyone else has found something a little less drastic that works, or if they've confirmed this works before I go resetting my MobileMe settings and messing with system files.

I had an app which started to remove itself from the dock. I keep my 2 Macs' docks in sync. I followed the steps all the way to the end and it worked for me. Hope you've tried it already.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001

4. Repair Permissions
10. Click "Replace"

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I have had this problem for almost a bloody year!! Every now and again I search for a solution. Your solution is the first that has worked! This has been driving me bonkers!

Thank you!!!

lukeperman

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Worked for me also...

No idea which of the steps actually made it happen, but I followed them all anyway and my Dock is back to normal.

Nice one.

VolentAleae

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Stop! At "repair permissions" and make sure the issue is not resolved.

I tried the sequence listed at the top of the thread which did not work for me and nearly quit in frustration. But being compulsive obsessive and finding it hard to let a challenge when, I read further down the thread (I'm also attention deficit so didn't read the whole thread) and saw the posting saying that the problem was resolved at "repair permissions." I tried it and "show nuff" it worked!

So to avoid going through the entire sequence listed at the top of the tread, after "repair permissions" STOP! and test to see if the issue was resolved.

My problem occurred after I tried syncing the docks of my iMac and MacBook Pro

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009

4. Repair Permissions
10. Click "Replace"

Worked great for me, thank you!

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
While this thread is pushing 5 years old I just had this very same problem. iTunes wouldn't stay in the dock after upgrading to version 11.3 (running 10.9.4 osx). For me a simple fix permissions with disk utility fixed my problem and now iTunes will stay in the dock when it is closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.