Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Why can't current 3G hardware do video recording?

The camera is at best capable of capturing about 10-15 frames per second. The CPU is not capable of transcoding the captured frames to h264 at anything like that speed.

Encoding video needs a hardware solution - not present in the 3G.

C.

funrush

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
15ujoz.jpg

Would be nice.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
it's funny how with all these leaked photos, whether it be the iphone or some other brand, no one ever takes a crystal clear photo. Digital cameras aren't that expensive anymore, even the most basic camera takes a better photo than the blurry shots that's always provided... :rolleyes:

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
that photo right before your post seems pretty crisp to me. :rolleyes:

too bad leak shots aren't like that though. with a crisp shot you might get a retina scan off a reflection or some other info in there you didn't think was there that might get someone in trouble.

besides, crisp shots would probably = fake rendering or photoshops

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
I hope that the Auto-Focus will work with the 3G. I am way excited for the percentage + battery option. I only have the percent because I jailbroke. Let's see what else about the new 3.0 firmware is leaked in the upcoming days. :p

Unfortunately the auto focus won't work with the 3G - I believe the lens in the 3G is a fixed focus lens. Let's just buy the new phone :)

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
EDIT: i believe these photos are real... i do not believe that one guy though saying his friend at apple sent him a pic

I don't think that Apple employees will even sent anyone photo's (who said that?) but there will always be people who snap a shot of a new products before release. And we all know that by now, don't we?

There is however a small group of developers and other trusted people who test the new iPhone during its development cycle and... how obvious, that won't be in the new case, but in a mod case.

Anyone thinking that Apple still has to do some design work, should go back to that website and experiment with URI's because the new links are up already – they just don't show new products yet, but the current products.

Apple's marketing is all over it so you can expect new photo's, and possibly even a new movie soon, showing off all of its new features. That however has not happened yet!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
how is this the new iPhone? Why don't we have photos of the back with this package, and couldn't it just be a newer, unreleased 3.0 build on iPhone 3G?

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
that photo right before your post seems pretty crisp to me. :rolleyes:

too bad leak shots aren't like that though. with a crisp shot you might get a retina scan off a reflection or some other info in there you didn't think was there that might get someone in trouble.

besides, crisp shots would probably = fake rendering or photoshops

well funnily enough that photo before mine was photoshopped so that's hardly a "leaked" photo.... :rolleyes:

anyway, yes, you don't want to capture the reflection of the person taking the shot, but there is such thing as taking the photo at an angle so that you don't include the reflection... that would be plain dumb.

Plus why should crisp shots = fake. Complete crap lol. haha

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
My how times have changed! What would MacGyver have done with an iPhone with 3.0 software?
Nevermind MacGyver, what would MacGruber do with iPhone gen3?
how is this the new iPhone? Why don't we have photos of the back with this package, and couldn't it just be a newer, unreleased 3.0 build on iPhone 3G?
I wonder if the overall shape is so similar (if not identical) that accessory manufacturers won't have to make new skins and cases this time around?

Over the last year and a half the web has been swamped with pictures of cases for upcoming iPhones and iPods, but this time around there's nothing of the sort. When pictures of the back of the unit are leaked, but there's not a single shot of any new case (those normally arrive long before shots of the actual unit), chances are they're leaving their current designs unchanged.

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
A friend of mine who works at Apple sent me a picture of the new iPhone. However, due to the NDA, I am prohibited to post, or show the picture, but I can explain what it looks. (so you can make mock ups)

Basically, the front is almost identical to the first two generation of iPhone, but with a camera. (which is unnoticeable until a green LED lights up. The camera is the same one used in iSight, so it is very high quality) The back of the new iPhone, well, it's been leaked already so there's no point in me explaining this.

The screen is OLED. At WWDC this year, Apple will announce immediete avalibility of ALL of their Macs, (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air) with OLED display, making it very environmentally friendly. iPod touch, and iPod classic, and iPod nano will follow this fall.

Apple also made some changes to the location of the headphone jacks and speakers, however, they are deciding on where to put it. To find out, they will be testing out three different design of iPhone. One with headphone jack at the top, and speaker at the bottom (the usual), the Headphone Jack at the bottom, with speaker at top, or the headphone jack at bottom, and speaker the back of the phone (aka, the iPod touch) They will test out comfort of the phone use with headphone, and speakers. The best comfort will be the final design of the phone.

Gosh, I hope all of this is true!

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
a translation of the chinese text from the website, posted by user "Bruce Poon" over at 9to5mac in a comment:

It's already 3am, and I totally cannot sleep. 'Cuz I just came home after meeting a friend from the U.S. This friend brought me something, and it's not H1N1. Instead, it is a item that will be under the world's spotlights -- a third generation iPhone prototype. This friend is a mysterious person. Even this 3rd Gen iPhone is also very mysterious. He said one can only take fuzzy snapshots of it, and not clear shots. 'Cuz it's still not officially released. So, in regards to the fuzzy photos below, I apologize!

Also, since this is a prototype, the styling of the phone absolutely cannot be disclosed. And there is also a high likelihood that the final product will differ in look. So, there will not be any photos here that compare the old and new iPhone in terms of appearance.

Alright. I believe everybody must be very anxious in seeing this 3rd Gen iPhone with OS 3.0.
According to rumors, the new iPhone's camera can do autofocus. Is this true????

Check it out:
autofocus1.jpg.jpeg

The above illustrates that with the new iPhone's camera capability, one can select picture or video in the right bottom corner; that is photo & movie.

At this time, when you move the iPhone, a blue square will appear on the screen. That is the autofocus function!

autofocus2.jpg.jpeg

If one point on different locations of the screen with a finger, the autofocus square will move to the finger's location and subsequently refocus.

At the time, I can't help but took the new iPhone into my car and perform a camera comparison of a 2G iPhone and the 3rd Gen iPhone.

autofocus3.jpg.jpeg

autofocus4.jpg.jpeg

The results are below: (The photo above is the result of autofocus [of 3rd Gen iPhone]; Below that is a photo shot by my 2G iPhone.)
As it shows, the photo with autofocus is so clear. My 2G totally cannot compare.

autofocus5.jpg.jpeg

autofocus6.jpg.jpeg

Also, the new iPhone has a built-in compass software. Upon press of a button, the direction is immediately displayed. It will be very useful when travel or mountain hiking.

compass.jpg.jpeg

Of course, one cannot dismiss this voice recording software. It will be very convenient during meeting or conference. When it's released, I will have to buy one for the secretary!

voicememos.jpg.jpeg

Recently, the stock has been bull. Hong Kong stock is back up to 18000 points. We have to celebrate!
Other than the fact that the OS 3.0 in the new iPhone can display detailed stock information, it can also display horizontally!

stocks.jpg.jpeg

stocks2.jpg.jpeg

Lastly, of course we have to test the internet and MMS functionality. This is because the current 2.2.1 version does not have MMS functionality.

I immediately took out the HSDPA SIM card from my 3.5G USB stick for testing. Needless to say, I could very successfully surf umpcfever.com and digital.xy.hk. When you see a photo on a web page that you want to download, just touch and hold onto that photo. Then you can select "SAVE IMAGE" to store it or "COPY" to work on it later.

mms1.jpg.jpeg

And SEND MMS is also very easy to do. And you can also type message horizontally. Very convenient!

mms2.jpg.jpeg

mms3.jpg.jpeg

mms4.jpg.jpeg

Finally lastly, something worth mentioning is that this prototype and the final iPhone version has a bit of a difference. In settings, there is a CPU Activity functionality. Presumably, this helps engineers perform testing analysis.

cpuactivity.jpg.jpeg

Alright, it's already late at night........ oh! I should say, it's almost morning..... I have to stop now even though I'm very excited..... Hopefully, the new version iPhone next month can really make everybody in this world go wild once again.

macintoshdaddy

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Doesn't it look like these photos were taken with an iPhone? I hope that it's not the new iPhone they took them with as they seem really crappy.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Can I ask how the *software* controls Autofocus when its a fixed focus lens?

The previous gens won't have AF, because its just not physically possible.

Some of the stuff posted on these forums is utter, utter twaddle from people who think they know what they are on about.

*sigh*

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Can I ask how the *software* controls Autofocus when its a fixed focus lens?

The previous gens won't have AF, because its just not physically possible.

Some of the stuff posted on these forums is utter, utter twaddle from people who think they know what they are on about.

*sigh*

Sigh..... Agreed.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
it's funny how with all these leaked photos, whether it be the iphone or some other brand, no one ever takes a crystal clear photo. Digital cameras aren't that expensive anymore, even the most basic camera takes a better photo than the blurry shots that's always provided... :rolleyes:

Same with all the people trying to take pics of Bigfoot and UFO's...LOL.

GC Jr

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
I don't really get why I would need to use a compass, either. I bet if I actually got to hold one and use it on the new iPhone then I probably would think that it was the coolest thing ever, though. typical of me.. and I bet millions of others... :rolleyes:

I'm sort of excited for the new iPhone. I'd hate to say it, but putting aside the great functionality, my 3G's starting to bore me. lol.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
To put it in laymans terms it would be as easy as reversing a battery in a cheap model engine where it then runs backwards. Easy programming change. Reagarding the poles, we have until December 21st 2012

and you know... at least while we're all being incinerated by solar radiation, we'll know which direction is which.

whew! :D

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
To put it in laymans terms it would be as easy as reversing a battery in a cheap model engine where it then runs backwards. Easy programming change. Reagarding the poles, we have until December 21st 2012 and regardless, I will be spending that holiday season in Boston with my wife and family. Not los angeles. No way. LOL. But seriously.
You'll have to work fast though. Once it starts you'll only have about a thousand years to make the swap.:rolleyes:

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
A friend of mine who works at Apple sent me a picture of the new iPhone. However, due to the NDA, I am prohibited to post, or show the picture, but I can explain what it looks. (so you can make mock ups)

Basically, the front is almost identical to the first two generation of iPhone, but with a camera. (which is unnoticeable until a green LED lights up. The camera is the same one used in iSight, so it is very high quality) The back of the new iPhone, well, it's been leaked already so there's no point in me explaining this.

The screen is OLED. At WWDC this year, Apple will announce immediete avalibility of ALL of their Macs, (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air) with OLED display, making it very environmentally friendly. iPod touch, and iPod classic, and iPod nano will follow this fall.

Apple also made some changes to the location of the headphone jacks and speakers, however, they are deciding on where to put it. To find out, they will be testing out three different design of iPhone. One with headphone jack at the top, and speaker at the bottom (the usual), the Headphone Jack at the bottom, with speaker at top, or the headphone jack at bottom, and speaker the back of the phone (aka, the iPod touch) They will test out comfort of the phone use with headphone, and speakers. The best comfort will be the final design of the phone.

I remember when stuff like this was getting posted a week or two before WWDC '08. The rumor mill was going crazy that the iPhone update was going to be getting video conferencing with a front facing camera. Sadly, it didn't pan out.

With Copy+Paste, A2DP, Compass, Video Recording, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, all due out with iPhone 3.0... I think Apple will probably save iChat AV Mobile for iPhone 4.0. AT&T hints through actions that its data network would fold like a cheap suit if people started tethering their iPhones, or using Sling. I can't imagine they would be too happy about video conferencing at least until HSPA+ is finished, or more likely, LTE.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2009
If you'd read the thread that's the general consensus. This was obviously a prototype, and they used the old case, but just through in a magnetometer. The rest is all old hardware.

Tallest skill does not really lend himself well to reading what the consencus is saying...:rolleyes:

AtlasBoy

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2009
The World
How the heck could anyone possibly know that EVER?

And how does it make any sense at all?

New phones do get tested in the wild. A few very select people get the phone to use ahead of time. They put the insides in a current models case so no one knows its difference. Apple had a new phone that started showing up in web logs late last winter. You can bet those were not in a new case that someone could spot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.