Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Hey,

Just tried to sync my phone whilst it was locked and it said error please unlock the phone before it can be synced (well it said that it better english but you get the idea). This is with the new iTunes 8.2 so must be a new feature.

Sorry if this was already posted. Did a search and nothing :)

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I've just had that, first sync since 8.2. Never seen it before. It only seems to do it first time though. After that it's syncing as normal when locked.

Yea thats what happened with me. Seams fine for 2nd + times. Def never happened to me before i updated to iTunes 8.2

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Chalk me up as a user with the same problem.

I was under the assumption that it only did it on pre 8.2 releases if you connected iPhone to a computer that it wasn't natively synced with, I.E. your friends iTunes. I thought this was done to ensure that you couldn't steal someone's iPhone, plug it in and make it your own. But it just did it to me.... Hmmmm....

whitebook

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Northern Ireland
i think my iphone has always done this. Doesn't it happen when your phone is locked and needs a passcode? maybe phones that dont have a passcode set just sync automatically.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
i think my iphone has always done this. Doesn't it happen when your phone is locked and needs a passcode? maybe phones that dont have a passcode set just sync automatically.

Mine told me it couldn't sync because it was locked and required a passcode.

I don't have a passcode set up and this didn't happen (to me) before this release.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I have had this same thing happen periodically as far back as 8.0. I t usually occurs the first time i sync after a change or update, whether it is an iTunes or iPhone OS update. It hasn't happened often and it doesn't happen on subsequent syncs.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
New thing for me is having to hit the home button before the computer will even recognize the phone. That is if it's locked when I plug it in.

Used to be I would plug it in and it would automatically be recognized and begin syncing.

Kind of frustrating as I usually am doing something else when I plug the phone in. I come back five minutes later to see if it's done syncing and I hear the "device connect" sound from my computer when I hit the home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.