Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruyuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
USA, I am from Romania
Ok, this is my problem. I want to play Runescape on a private server which requires me to run a .bat file. Well, Macs don't use run batch files so I was asking for some help on here. I did mostly what this guy did, http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/386820/need-help-bat-files-mac-os/
But I still can't get it to work. I downloaded Boxer and did what the people that answered this guys post said. I would like some different directions because mine is somewhat different. Here is what my run.bat file looks like while open in TextEdit..

Code:
@ECHO OFF
title AlienScape
color 81
echo AlienScape Client
echo Edited by AlienScape
EGUIjava -Xmx500m EGUI

Go here to download it and try it yourself ->AlienScape Client V3.1.rar
What should I do?
Also, most importantly, it worked on Parallels Desktop a few days ago, which means yes, I have a Windows XP emulated on my Mac, But after I restarted my computer (Windows only, not Mac and Windows.) it wouldn't work. I clicked run.bat and a box appeared really fast and just disappeared within 2-3 seconds. I did manage to catch a few word such as EGUI and Java between those few seconds.

So, if you don't know how to help me with the first one, then tell me why it won't run on my Parallels anymore.

Thanks!
This is from a different client (Not an older version of AlienScape, mind you.) were the box doesn't disappear automatically.
And I have a feeling that this might be whats happening to my AlienScape client as well.
Picture6.png

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... Well, Macs don't use run batch files so I was asking for some help on here. ...
Although Macs don't run MS-DOS batch files, to say that Macs don't run batch files could not farther from the truth. Macs run AppleScript. The most sophisticated scripting languages are UNIX-based. MacOS X can run any and all of these.

MacOS X natively supports Java. Instead of lamenting the fact that MacOS X is not Windows, try to find a MacOS X solution to your problem.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
A bash script would be the easiest route most likely, though I don't know what the EGUIjava command is. Probably related to the code you downloaded. The bash script would look like,
Code:
#!/usr/bin
echo AlienScape Client
echo Edited by AlienScape
EGUIjava -Xmx500m EGUI
The other lines just add extra flare to the window, but shouldn't be necessary.

As far as your Windows issue where the window pops up and closes quickly. Edit the batch file and add a line with the word "pause" (w/o quotes) and save it. This will keep the window from closing until you hit a key so you can see potential error messages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.