Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone OS 3.0 Launching June 17th

Apple today announced that its iPhone OS 3.0 will launch on June 17th, just prior to the release of the new iPhone 3G S. The upgrade will be free for all iPhone users, and will be priced at $9.95 for iPod touch users. While many of the features of iPhone OS 3.0 were previewed at Apple's media event in March, several additional features and clarifications were mentioned during today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

- MMS: While the inclusion of multimedia messaging in iPhone OS 3.0 was discussed at Apple's previous media event, Apple today revealed the MMS will not be available for AT&T customers until "late summer", as much as several months after the launch of the new operating system. A number of other wireless carriers throughout the world will be supporting MMS at launch.

- Internet Tethering: At its previous media event, Apple chose not to focus on tethering, addressing it only in a Q&A period by saying that while the functionality is being built into the iPhone OS 3.0, cooperation from carriers would be needed in order to enable it. During today's keynote, Apple announced that tethering via USB and Bluetooth will be offered on a number of carriers at launch, although AT&T will not be supporting it for the time being.

- "Find My iPhone": A newly-advertised feature only for MobileMe subscribers allows customers to track the location of their lost iPhone, send alerts to the device, and perform remote wipes for data security. If later found, wiped iPhones can then be restored by syncing with iTunes.

Article Link: iPhone OS 3.0 Launching June 17th
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
quigleybc
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Skype™ to quigleybc
sigh

i was so wishing for the ol' "available now!"

but...no....still waiting. for something we already knew about....

yay?
quigleybc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:35 PM   #3
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
already ordered mine!
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4
zap2
macrumors 604

Thanks AT&T...keep up to speed with those new, fancy features...that work on tons of other phones on your network.

This is the first time I've been disappointed with AT&T, until now they were on the ball(for my usage)
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:35 PM   #5
anti-microsoft
macrumors 68000

Nice! So Excited!

Good WWDC in my opinion!

Ams.
anti-microsoft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:36 PM   #6
basketball762
macrumors regular

I'm just wondering if ATT will ever allow tethering and if so how much its going to cost.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:36 PM   #7
conraddon
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to conraddon
At&t

God I hate AT&T, MMS is working with other carriers but not them. Tethering is an available feature but one AT&T doesn't support. As much as I love the coverage they SUCK!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:37 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Great! A new free "toy" June 17! (I'm a paid dev and could get it now... but what if my favorite games are not yet OS 3.0-ready and I lose my saved progress or something? I know what data is REALLY important in my phone! Let others be the guinea pigs who figure out which apps aren't ready.)

Best news to me:

* Sending your location in Messages app! I was hoping for that. "Here's where I am" in the mall/park/hiking trail/campus/whatever. (But then messaging finally gets useful enough for me to CARE that AT&T doesn't include any free in theit plan ) Also, I hope other phones can exchange GPS locations via MMS in the same way. Seems like it could be standard, but I'm no expert.

* New remote control possibilities for... anything. That Zipcar car-sharing app is too cool, with the phone triggering the car's horn I've always thought the car-sharing concept made good sense (my city has some other brand of car sharing). Now it seems downright futuristic.

* TomTom with turn-by-turn directions at LONG last (And it just occurs to me that the portrait option could make more sense than the usual landscape format of GPS devices: you want to see AHEAD, not to the sides!)

I'd love Google-style satellite imagery and 3D terrain in a turn-by-turn GPS (with pre-loaded map data just to fall back on when there's no cell signal). But I know licensing that extra data isn't free. It will come, though.

Question: does iPhone auto-fill sync (both ways) with the logins in your OS X Keychain? That would be great.

Random hope: AT&T's tethering is usually $30/month (no thanks!). So I wonder... could the U.S. delay indicate ongoing negotiations for a lower tethering cost from AT&T? At $5 I might be tempted. Or even $10 for tethering plus unlimited MMS (yeah, I'm dreaming).
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:39 PM   #9
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Won't this put pressure on AT&T to support these features since it is all out in the public? Apple made them look like A**s since the other carriers had support from day one.

The "Find my iPhone" feature is nice. I am so glad AT&T didn't break that function.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:40 PM   #10
VolceOntra
macrumors regular

Do you think that the GM will work w/o UDID activation on normal iphones?

That way I can just download and install it tonight hehe
VolceOntra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:40 PM   #11
riverfreak
macrumors 6502

Location: Thonglor, Bangkok; Ueno, Tokyo; Park City, UT/Santa Fe, NM, USA
Ugh. When will the ATT tyranny end?

How absurd is it that Apple is announcing relatively minor new features that AT&T can't/won't support?

It's time for Apple to drop the exclusivity agreement with AT&T. What a tremendous mistake that was to begin with. 40,000,000 iPhone/iPod touches would seem like a small percentage had they not chose to go that route.
riverfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:40 PM   #12
casik
macrumors regular

stoked about the new "Find My iPhone" features...
casik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:40 PM   #13
basketball762
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Random hope: AT&T's tethering is usually $30/month (no thanks!). So I wonder... could the U.S. delay indicate ongoing negotiations for a lower cost from AT&T? At $5 I might be tempted. Or even $10 for tethering plus unlimited MMS (yeah, I'm dreaming).
I was thinking the same thing as you were. With the $5 or $10's I would be very tempted.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:41 PM   #14
conraddon
macrumors newbie

At&t

God I hate AT&T, MMS is working with other carriers but not them. Tethering is an available feature but one AT&T doesn't support. As much as I love the coverage they SUCK!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:41 PM   #15
ShockTroop
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G Video?

I wondering if the iPhone 3G will have video when 3.o comes out?
ShockTroop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:41 PM   #16
paola105
macrumors 6502

Is the data plan still $30?
paola105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:42 PM   #17
conraddon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball762 View Post
I was thinking the same thing as you were. With the $5 or $10's I would be very tempted.
Just jailbreak with PDAnet... one time $10 fee and your good to go
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:42 PM   #18
mcdermd
macrumors regular

Pre-ordered. Rated the story a negative based on T's shenanigans. I've been waiting two years for MMS. Now that Apple supports it, AT&T are wringing their hands trying to figure out how to make a buck off of it before they support it.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:43 PM   #19
sphoenix
macrumors regular

Will iPhone OS 3.0 allow 1st gen users to record video even with a poor frame-rate? Or is that only available on the 3GS?
sphoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:43 PM   #20
LAS.mac
macrumors 6502

Is tethering intended as BT connection only for internet? I mean, could be now possible, for instance, to tether iphone via BT to a BT-enabled printer or BT enable projector to show a Keynot presentation?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:43 PM   #21
natebookpro
macrumors 6502a

Why does AT&T suck so much? I mean really what reason could they have for not enabling MMS until the end of summer? Because their network cant handle it? Come on, this is stupid.

Does going to this new 7.2 3G make the network inherently more stable? If it doesn't I think they need to worry about taking care of their stability issues as opposed to making it easier to overwhelm the network with higher bandwidth and more data.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:44 PM   #22
basketball762
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphoenix View Post
Will iPhone OS 3.0 allow 1st gen users to record video even with a poor frame-rate? Or is that only available on the 3GS?
I'm assuming it won't be available. But that's just my guess.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:44 PM   #23
msharpmu
macrumors regular

What will the 3GS be able to do that the 3G won't after the upgarde to 3.0? Sounds like compass, and the magical 2x speed... maybe video. Does not sound like it is worth the upgrade price.

Also, ATT blows. I can't believe that they don't have anything ready for the new features. Service is good but this is ridiculous. They should lower the price if all the features don't work. Heck, they should lower the price period!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:44 PM   #24
jpine
macrumors 6502

Well, it looks like I'm going with Verizon and a Blackberry Curve. The lack of tethering was the deal breaker. If I didn't need tethering (and on tight budget) I'd jump on a new iPhone. Blame goes to ATT.
jpine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:44 PM   #25
e-coli
macrumors 68000

Sooooo…

No real network speed bump here in the US.
No MMS until "late summer"
No tethering in the US
US customers upgrading from an iPhone 3G will have to pay either $299 (8GB), $399 (16GB), or $499 (32GB) - per Apple fine print

Yeah…nothing to see here. I'll keep my money in my pocket.

AT&T and Apple can suck it. The sad thing is, upgraders and early adopters are your real evangelists. This is going to hurt the adoption of the phone without a doubt.

Last edited by e-coli; Jun 8, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
e-coli is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion