Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
It is common knowledge that Apple updates its products every year or so. I know it, my little sister knows it, a majority of consumers know it, and every other single major corporation should know about it, including At&t

What is different with apple, is that many of its consumers upgrade their products every year or so, coinciding with the release of their updated products. Not so much their computers, but definitely their iPods and iPhones. Rarely, do other companies have this effect on their consumers, more or less actually update their products every year like apple does. Apple has a very unique business structure.

Many people argue that the iPhone is no different than any other phone in terms of subsidizes and contracts, etc; however, I would disagree with this statement. The iPhone is the most unique product in the mobile phone industry, aside from the Pre.

It is true that 3g customers knew full well that by buying the iPhone they would be locked into a 2 yr contract and risk a more expensive upgrade. However At&t should have known that a majority of 3g owners would want to upgrade to the newest phone when it is released about a year later. So did consumers for that matter. Yet the consumers have very little say since At&t leaves no options for 1 yr contracts etc. At&t should give their customers OPTIONS. They should EXPECT that customers will want to upgrade, and therefore provide options. You dont provide reasonable options, customers get pissed. Otherwise its no iPhone period or iPhone every two years(which people dont want to be stuck with).

Bottom line, both parties knew exactly what was going to happen. Customers have no say in the matter. At&t does.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
Well said.

Sticking to a contract is one thing and making a business decision is another.

Whiners or not. I am just amazed how could AT&T let all these loyal customers get upset and not trying to find a win/win solution.

iPhone is a unique product and iPhone users are unique customers. AT&T should devise a unique business plan to serve them well.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
What's AT&T care? You're not going anywhere and, judging by the frustration...which translates to a lack of willpower...you'll end up paying full price for the latest and greatest whatever anyway. AT&T will never change the contract because it doesn't have to. Anyone has the option to buy a phone at full price without a contract and that's what I did. And I'll tell you, paying the real price for a phone makes you think twice about making the rich richer. Personally, I'll pass on the new whatever. I couldn't really care less.

ravensfan55

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
For every other non-iPhone customer, they know if they want to upgrade early they've gotta pay the price. Does AT&T care that the iPhone customers are among the most profitable? Yes. Are they going to bend over backwards at a monetary loss to satisfy these people? No. The point is to make money. I'm sorry if you expect white-glove treatment, but is AT&T going to eat the cost of the phone, and in exchange going to post lower net earnings, giving their stockholders lower returns? Nope.

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Thank you.

For every other non-iPhone customer, they know if they want to upgrade early they've gotta pay the price.

But somehow when the iPhone comes around, most of the users expect special treatment.

Tip: Read the contract before you sign it, don't assume you're gonna get exceptions when the next iPhone comes around.

noticed how i talked about the "special treatment" issue

Tumi 07

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
noticed how i talked about the "special treatment" issue

What is the iPhone? O, thats right...its a phone. Just like a Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, Sony, etc. Is it fair for a person with an iPhone to get a full discount early simply because the iPhone is 'different' when others cant get an early upgrade? Actually, AT&T is doing you a favor by offering the early upgrade price rather than making you pay the full upgrade (599/699) price to upgrade early. Maybe AT&T should offer a one year contract for some of you whiners for a higher price, yet some of y'all will still find a way to complain.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Even if they did offer a one year contract, ATT would just add around $15 a month to a one year contract as compared to a two year contract to make up for the shorter period of repayment of the subsidy. Then people would complain about that.

Nine9si

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Why do people keep saying they are "loyal" and deserve to be treated different. If you can't pay to play, then stick with what you got

KidFresh

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
NYC
Very well put. I know I'm going to get "screwed" on pricing in summer '10 with the next new version release for buying a 3GS and signing a new 2-yr contract this year. The hardware upgrade for the 3GS from the 3G is pretty lackluster and I would fully expect the next release to be much more significant.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
IF/when AT&T Wireless loses the exclusive US carrier contract . . . I think then we'll see who is "loyal" versus having an electronic version of "Stockholm Syndrome."

rbucci

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
What's AT&T care? You're not going anywhere and, judging by the frustration...which translates to a lack of willpower...you'll end up paying full price for the latest and greatest whatever anyway. AT&T will never change the contract because it doesn't have to. Anyone has the option to buy a phone at full price without a contract and that's what I did. And I'll tell you, paying the real price for a phone makes you think twice about making the rich richer. Personally, I'll pass on the new whatever. I couldn't really care less.

the fact that you are not going to buy the new phone, and I'm not going to buy the new phone and possibly thousands of others are not going to buy the new iphone now kind of proves that the status quo may not work as well for the iphone crowd as ATT thought

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
the fact that you are not going to buy the new phone, and I'm not going to buy the new phone and possibly thousands of others are not going to buy the new iphone now kind of proves that the status quo may not work as well for the iphone crowd as ATT thought

Basing the success of a phone, that isn't even released yet BTW, on some sort of random statistical survey of two users on a forum of very opinionated iphone using junkies doesn't really mean much.

If you don't like the iPhone / pricing that's perfectly fine, but let the numbers speak for themselves once the 2010 phone comes out, else you will be regarded as those who said Apple will not sell phones due to lack of MMS and CutCopyPast.

Oh , and I WILL be purchasing the new phone...and I know a friend of mine is, so that cancels out you and the other guy ;)

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
IF/when AT&T Wireless loses the exclusive US carrier contract . . . I think then we'll see who is "loyal" versus having an electronic version of "Stockholm Syndrome."

Yeah... Stockholm Syndrome... maybe that's what it is.... ;)

rbucci

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Basing the success of a phone, that isn't even released yet BTW, on some sort of random statistical survey of two users on a forum of very opinionated, iphone using junkies speaks volumes.

If you don't like the iPhone / pricing that's perfectly fine, but let the numbers speak for themselves once the 2010 phone comes out, else you will be regarded as those who said Apple will not sell phones due to lack of MMS and CutCopyPast.

Oh , and I WILL be purchasing the new phone...and I know a friend of mine is, so that cancels out you and the other guy ;)

I'm not basing this on me, I'm basing it on the thousands of pissed off people that are filling the blogs.
We'll see what the numbers say.
My point is that's the only way ATT will be swayed into changing their policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.