Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey guys, I know a lot of us have the Elgato Eyetv Hybrid and would love to use it on our Macs in conjunction with Bootcamp & Windows. Well I finally figured out how to do it! All I had to do is slightly modify some Windows drivers.

The hardware being used is very similar to the Hauppauge USB Sticks.

Elgato made 2 versions of the hybrid; the older version without QAM and the newer version with QAM. (It has been brought to my attention they also have a new version out with radio capabilities).

I have only been able to test this on the hybrid WITH QAM.

I was able to slightly modify the Hauppauge drivers which allowed the Elgato Eyetv Hybrid to work under windows using both the Windows Media Center and the standalone player by Hauppauge.

So here is what you need to do:

Go to Device Manager

Vista users: Right click on Computer > Click Properties > Click Device Manager

Now you should see some devices under "Other devices" with a yellow question mark next to them. Both should be called "EyeTV Hybrid" There are two because the USB stick has both a digital and analog tuner.

Right click on either device > Click Properties > Click Details tab > Where it says Property, scroll down to Hardware IDs

If the bold numbers match, these drivers will work for you. (If they don't match please provide me with your numbers so I can try and make drivers that will work for you.)
USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0008&REV_0005&MI_03

Now we can close the EyeTV Hybrid Properties windows which brings us back to Device Manager.

Download both the modified drivers (an attachment below) and the manufacturer software here:

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/install_cd/cd_4.6a+.zip

Unzip and open the manufacturer software, navigate to the Drivers folder, and replace: HCWemBda.inf and HCWemBda64.inf with the modified drives you downloaded from me. (You also have to unzip and open the folder you downloaded from me).

Now go back to your Device Manager window, Right click on one of the EyeTV Hybrid devices with the yellow question mark next to it and click Update Driver Software...

Click Browse my computer for driver software > Click browse and navigate to the drivers folder from the manufacturer's software > Click Ok.

Do the same for the other device in Device Manager.

Now go to the manufacturer's software you downloaded earlier and double click Setup.

Finish the install and you should be Done :)

NOTE: People with a different version of the hybrid than me: Please let me know what your Hardware ID is as described in the steps above. Thanks

Attachments

• Driver.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,413

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hi!

I've been trying to get this to work for a while, so I appreciate your post.

However, my eyetv doesn't show up under other devices. Heck, I can't get it to show up at all in Vista. Any ideas? It works fine in OSX.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
thanks

Great! Thanks for sharing, wakerider017

I'll try it with my Hybrid w/o ClearQAM in my Toshiba running XP Home Edition.

I'll post results as I get them.

cheers!

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hi!

I've been trying to get this to work for a while, so I appreciate your post.

However, my eyetv doesn't show up under other devices. Heck, I can't get it to show up at all in Vista. Any ideas? It works fine in OSX.

Which tuner are you using?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
The same one as you- the Elagato EyeTv Hybrid (WITH QAM).

Hmm strange, Try unplugging and using a different usb port. You are using a powered usb port right (Like one on the back of your Mac??)

While uninstalled it should show up under other devices.

after installation is appears under Sound, video and game controllers.

P.S. this trick is not just limited to Macs, but all PC's running Windows.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Hmm strange, Try unplugging and using a different usb port. You are using a powered usb port right (Like one on the back of your Mac??)

While uninstalled it should show up under other devices.

after installation is appears under Sound, video and game controllers.

P.S. this trick is not just limited to Macs, but all PC's running Windows.

Ah! Well, I must've done something a while back and installed it poorly, because it shows up there, already.

What steps should I take at this point? Uninstall, then install with your drivers?

And how do I access the TV tuner? Will there be a program shortcut?

Thanks!

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Ah! Well, I must've done something a while back and installed it poorly, because it shows up there, already.

What steps should I take at this point? Uninstall, then install with your drivers?

And how do I access the TV tuner? Will there be a program shortcut?

Thanks!

If you tried to install some drivers, yes uninstall all things eyetv related. I believe there are 3 things to uninstall. then restart.

Install everything using method above.

Yup there will be a program shortcut, but I recommend using WMC (Windows Media Center).

I think in windows you can only use digital or analog. You cant switch back and forth like you can on a Mac. So during setup you need to pick.

tmisje

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Hello

I have the following ID;

USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0018

I seem to able to install the driver, but WinTV won't install. I just get the message No device attached or no driver installed. Do I need another driver?

Thanks!

Tom

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hello

I have the following ID;

USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0018

I seem to able to install the driver, but WinTV won't install. I just get the message No device attached or no driver installed. Do I need another driver?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom see the post below ;)

tmisje

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for the drivers! They seem to install ok, but I'm not able to install the WinTV application. Prompts me about no device installed, then installs the drivers over again. Any suggestions?

Tom

ower

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
eyetv dtt

hey, your work seems very interresting! do you think it would be possible to change the drivers also for eyetv dtt? number I have is: USB\Vid_0fd9&Pid_0021&Rev_0100

many thanks in advance!

dotpage

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
One more request :)

Hello, if you could, please write a driver for:

USB\VID_2040&PID_6513&REV_0110

Thank you!

yuyu8210

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Can you write a drive for me please? my eyeTV ID is:

USB\VID_2040&PID_6502&REV_0110

Thanks!

pampashase

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Thanks for the drivers, my eyeTV hybrid was recognized as a HVR-900.

But I still have one problem, there is only the DVB-T Tuner in my device list, no analog tuner :(

Any suggestions?

faslane

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
Hey guys, I know a lot of us have the Elgato Eyetv Hybrid and would love to use it on our Macs in conjunction with Bootcamp & Windows. Well I finally figured out how to do it! All I had to do is slightly modify some Windows drivers.

Elgato made 2 versions of the hybrid; the older version without QAM and the newer version with QAM. (It has been brought to my attention they also have a new version out with radio capabilities).

I have only been able to test this on the hybrid WITH QAM.

I was able to slightly modify the Hauppauge drivers which allowed the Elgato Eyetv Hybrid to work under windows using both the Windows Media Center and the standalone player by Hauppauge.

So here is what you need to do:

Go to Device Manager

Vista users: Right click on Computer > Click Properties > Click Device Manager

Now you should see some devices under "Other devices" with a yellow question mark next to them. Both should be called "EyeTV Hybrid" There are two because the USB stick has both a digital and analog tuner.

Right click on either device > Click Properties > Click Details tab > Where it says Property, scroll down to Hardware IDs

If the bold numbers match, these drivers will work for you. (If they don't match please provide me with your numbers so I can try and make drivers that will work for you.)
USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0008&REV_0005&MI_03

Now we can close the EyeTV Hybrid Properties windows which brings us back to Device Manager.

Download both the modified drivers (an attachment below) and the manufacturer software here:

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/install_cd/cd_4.6a+.zip

Unzip and open the manufacturer software, navigate to the Drivers folder, and replace: HCWemBda.inf and HCWemBda64.inf with the modified drives you downloaded from me. (You also have to unzip and open the folder you downloaded from me).

Now go back to your Device Manager window, Right click on one of the EyeTV Hybrid devices with the yellow question mark next to it and click Update Driver Software...

Click Browse my computer for driver software > Click browse and navigate to the drivers folder from the manufacturer's software > Click Ok.

Do the same for the other device in Device Manager.

Now go to the manufacturer's software you downloaded earlier and double click Setup.

Finish the install and you should be Done :)

NOTE: People with a different version of the hybrid than me: Please let me know what your Hardware ID is as described in the steps above. Thanks

hey Wakerider017!! ThankYou For this!! I have a different set of Drivers ID's any chance you can provide a workaround?
my ID's are:
USB\VID_2040&PID_6513&REV_0110
USB\VID_2040&PID_6513

I have the ElGato EyeTV Hybrid also....not sure on the QAM, but the numbers on the back of the usb coax/device are:
M/R 65201/A1C0 #4607
SECOND LINE SAYS: 000DFE3CC688

tHANKS A MILLION!!!

FASLANE

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Interesting work, nice one. I think that the EyeTV cards are just rebranded Hauppauge ones. I have an early EyeTV Hybrid (without QAM) that is recognised as a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900 when connected to any version of windows - without any driver change at all. It has worked like this since I got it. It's interesting that they have changed the Hardware ID's now.

gigas65

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Salonica, Greece

........................................................................................................

Well done Wakerider, it seems i have a different version (2009 with fm radio) and

USB\Vid_0fd9&Pid_0018&Rev_0100
USB\Vid_0fd9&Pid_0018

showing only one device in device manager.
I would appreciate if you could help.
Thanks in advance, Alex:apple:

gigas65

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Salonica, Greece

Forgive me for insisting but i need to get it working on XP. See its info. Thanks

Attachments

• Hybrid info.jpg
    Hybrid info.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,411

macpoupou

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Hey guys, I know a lot of us have the Elgato

Hello, I have an EyeTV DTT and my Ids are :

USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0021&REV_0100
USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0021

Do you think that you can do something ?

luc911

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
Thank you wakerider017.

I'm using EyeTV Hybrid on a Mac book pro / bootcamp / Vista ultimate
and I get the hardware Ids:
USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0018&REV_0100
USB\VID_0FD9&PID_0018

Your help is very much appreciated.

kaminsky

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
Hi.

I have the Hardware ID as follows:

USB\Vid_2040&Pid_7060&Rev_0100

any driver help would be much appreciated thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.