Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Okay guys here's my problem, I recently just purchased The Sims 3 for PC/MAC from bestbuy.com who does a partnership with the company digitalriver.com. I chose the option to directly download the game after purchase from its website. Unfortunately the download program uses a .exe file called "Sims3_DownloadManager.exe" which of course is a PC file. So it downloads all the required files and does this automated installation afterwards. I have installed the Sims 3 game fine on my PC; but when I try to copy the installation files on my portable hard drive or DVD disc and try to install it on my MAC via the .app installation folder on the game. I get an error stating the following, "can not verify the integrity of the installer". The window closes after that error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
The digital downloads are not meant for mac users unfortunately. :eek:

Yes it's a pain but unfortunately cannot find anything on the internet with the solution to this problem. I have contacted digitalriver.com which is where I downloaded and purchased the game from, but they have not responded. I've contacted EA directly and there reply back is also pending. It seems like there is a major glitch that applies to this game if you downloaded it directly online and try to run the package on a MAC. Wouldn't this technically be misleading and or false advertisement and grounds for money back? Since they failed to say, "Oh by the way, the digital download won't work on your MAC but will work fine on your PC"?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes it's a pain but unfortunately cannot find anything on the internet with the solution to this problem. I have contacted digitalriver.com which is where I downloaded and purchased the game from, but they have not responded. I've contacted EA directly and there reply back is also pending. It seems like there is a major glitch that applies to this game if you downloaded it directly online and try to run the package on a MAC. Wouldn't this technically be misleading and or false advertisement and grounds for money back? Since they failed to say, "Oh by the way, the digital download won't work on your MAC but will work fine on your PC"?

But looking at the sites such as EA the digital download makes no mention of MAC compatbility, and state clearly PC DOWNLOAD. They are not making any claims other than it will run on a pc.

Just because the DVD release includes both version, does not mean the digital download will work in the same way.

Hopefully you can get your money back and just go out and procure the DVD edition.
:eek:

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
But looking at the sites such as EA the digital download makes no mention of MAC compatbility, and state clearly PC DOWNLOAD. They are not making any claims other than it will run on a pc.

Just because the DVD release includes both version, does not mean the digital download will work in the same way.

Hopefully you can get your money back and just go out and procure the DVD edition.
:eek:

Do you have a link to where you say you saw the digital download version of SIMS 3, where it states its only for the "PC"? But yeah still no email from either company yet with a reply back its been 2 days.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I just went to BestBuy.com and saw this: "Platform: PC"

And when I went to 'All Mac games' there was no Sims 3.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you have a link to where you say you saw the digital download version of SIMS 3, where it states its only for the "PC"? But yeah still no email from either company yet with a reply back its been 2 days.

It does not need to say ONLY PC. The fact that none mention MAC is what matters. It doesn't take a genius, and unfortunately sometimes semantics do count. It's unfortunate, especially if you can't get a refund, but sadly 'to err is human'. Your mistake, not theirs.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
It does not need to say ONLY PC. The fact that none mention MAC is what matters. It doesn't take a genius, and unfortunately sometimes semantics do count. It's unfortunate, especially if you can't get a refund, but sadly 'to err is human'. Your mistake, not theirs.

on bestbuy it states platform PC but the picture of the box cover of SIMS 3 right next to that has WIN/MAC on the image itself. misleading?

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
It may be your only chance at refund and it's worth a try, but they do not have to.

*Update, more than worth just a shot, it worked. best buy's digitalriver partner company will refund my money back. Had to speak to the customer service reps supervisor but it worked out. It definitely was grounds for false advertisement by the image portraying the WIN/MAC compatibility icon it in conjunction with the small print stating Platform: PC. The two did not mesh and I knew that and yes they had to refund otherwise it would be a class action suite. Moral of the story don't let people think your beat when your really not, you just have to think outside the box and be a little persistent. Have a good one.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
*Update, more than worth just a shot, it worked. best buy's digitalriver partner company will refund my money back. Had to speak to the customer service reps supervisor but it worked out. It definitely was grounds for false advertisement by the image portraying the WIN/MAC compatibility icon it in conjunction with the small print stating Platform: PC. The two did not mesh and I knew that and yes they had to refund otherwise it would be a class action suite. Moral of the story don't let people think your beat when your really not, you just have to think outside the box and be a little persistent. Have a good one.

Good for you - that was going to be my suggestion.

If you still want digital, I got word direct from Direct2Drive that the PC version is PC & Mac whereas the Mac version is Mac only on their site.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Good for you - that was going to be my suggestion.

If you still want digital, I got word direct from Direct2Drive that the PC version is PC & Mac whereas the Mac version is Mac only on their site.

Wow both PC & Mac compatibility for the digital download version all in one? they meaning the developer of SIMS 3 should of bundled it this way instead of the crazy misleading versions and variants.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Wow both PC & Mac compatibility for the digital download version all in one? they meaning the developer of SIMS 3 should of bundled it this way instead of the crazy misleading versions and variants.

When I was on D2D last night I didn't see it, but here is the Tweet:

@txa1265 The PC version of The Sims 3 works on both PC and Mac, whereas the Mac version is just for Mac. http://tinyurl.com/n87rpz

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
When I was on D2D last night I didn't see it, but here is the Tweet:

Okay guys this was on another thread. There is indeed a fix for the digital download version of SIMS 3 (PC) edition to enable it to work on your (MAC) OSX. If you follow these simple steps you will indeed be on your way to playing the SIMS on your preferred machine MACINTOSH. Here it is,

Pasted from a previous user,

I'll take you through it step by step. Do exactly as I do.

1. Unpack the zip file that was downloaded from D2D. A folder should show up.

2. Open "Disk Utility" on you mac.

3. When Disk Utility opens, click on the "+new image" tab. When the drop down menu appears, start with the top dialog box. Name it "Sims 3." 2nd box- save it to the desktop. "Disk Name", don't touch that one. The next box "volume size", hit that, and select custom. When the next window appears, Click the left box and put in "6". In the right box, change to GB. Now click on the Partions Tab, change it to just plan old CD/DVD. Don't touch anything else, click create.

4. Close disk utility.

5. Go to the desk top. There will be a Sims 3.dmg file, and a "Disk Image" Icon. Go INTO the folder that was extracted from the sims 3 zip file. Highlight all contents in the folder, drag them onto the "Disk Image" Icon. It will copy them. DO NOT DRAG THE FOLDER ONTO IT. GO INTO THE FOLDER, AND GET THE CONTENTS, DRAG THEM OUT OF IT.

6. When it's done copying, double click the "Disk Image" Icon that we created, go inside, Click the "The Sims 3 Installer" Icon. It will run.

jmontesi94

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
hi, i am having the same problem. i tried downloading the sims 3 for my mac 2 days ago via best buy's digital downloading and have since realized that the downloadable version is simply not made for macs, although the disk version is both mac/pc compatible. i have been trying to get a refund on my downloaded purchase as well, do you have any advice on how to go about with this process? you seem to have gone through the same thing i am- thanks for any help!

Dpscc

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Very same issue here

Hey Masonryx,

I have the very same problem right now (sorry I didn't read this thread before using my credit card!), so here's my question after reading all the messages here:

You said you called Digital River, and convinced them to refund you. I'm about to do the same, but I can't seem to find a phone number for them anywhere!

Would you have the number somewhere, or could tell me the URL where you found it? I sent them an e-mail, but don't feel that'll do much good. Calling seems to be the right choice here.

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Dpscc.

Okay guys here's my problem, I recently just purchased The Sims 3 for PC/MAC from bestbuy.com who does a partnership with the company digitalriver.com. I chose the option to directly download the game after purchase from its website. Unfortunately the download program uses a .exe file called "Sims3_DownloadManager.exe" which of course is a PC file. So it downloads all the required files and does this automated installation afterwards. I have installed the Sims 3 game fine on my PC; but when I try to copy the installation files on my portable hard drive or DVD disc and try to install it on my MAC via the .app installation folder on the game. I get an error stating the following, "can not verify the integrity of the installer". The window closes after that error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
hi, i am having the same problem. i tried downloading the sims 3 for my mac 2 days ago via best buy's digital downloading and have since realized that the downloadable version is simply not made for macs, although the disk version is both mac/pc compatible. i have been trying to get a refund on my downloaded purchase as well, do you have any advice on how to go about with this process? you seem to have gone through the same thing i am- thanks for any help!

Again let me post what I just previously posted 3 post's ago. Let me clarify again as well, if you downloaded the digital download version of the Sims 3 (PC WINDOWS) edition/version and are trying to install it on your (MAC OSX) then your not out of luck. Although initially when you try to install it, it gives you a "Cannot verify the integrity of the installer" error message and closes. There is indeed a fix for this, so that you can install it on the (MAC OSX). If you follow these step by step instructions you will have it running on your MAC in no time.

1. Unpack the zip file that was downloaded from D2D or in this case digitalriver. A folder should show up. This would be the folder with the installation files.

3. When Disk Utility opens, click on the "+new image" tab. When the drop down menu appears, start with the top dialog box. Name it "Sims 3." 2nd box- save it to the desktop. "Disk Name", don't touch that one. The next box "volume size", hit that, and select custom. When the next window appears, Click the left box and put in "6". In the right box, change to GB. Now click on the Partions Tab, change it to just plan old CD/DVD. Don't touch anything else, click create.

4. Close disk utility.

5. Go to the desk top. There will be a Sims 3.dmg file, and a "Disk Image" Icon. Go INTO the folder that was extracted from the sims 3 zip file. Highlight all contents in the folder, drag them onto the "Disk Image" Icon. It will copy them. DO NOT DRAG THE FOLDER ONTO IT. GO INTO THE FOLDER, AND GET THE CONTENTS, DRAG THEM OUT OF IT.

6. When it's done copying, double click the "Disk Image" Icon that we created, go inside, Click the "The Sims 3 Installer" Icon. It will run.

Enjoy.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Install the game using Windows on Boot Camp - you will get better performance and will be able to avoid the horrible bugs which are plaguing the Mac "version" of the game.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Install the game using Windows on Boot Camp - you will get better performance and will be able to avoid the horrible bugs which are plaguing the Mac "version" of the game.

I have not encountered any bugs running the Sims 3 on the MAC OSX. As far as better performance its the same for me running it on the OSX or Windows. Third in my opinion if you wanted Windows you would of got a PC and not a MAC.

jmontesi94

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
thanks for the help- I have already purchased and downloaded a hard copy of the game because I had given up hope that I would be able to fix whatever glitch was keeping the game and mac from working together. as a result, I am still going to try and get a refund for my wasted $50 on the downloaded game...do you have any advice on how to successfully get a refund? (what did you do to make it a success?) I called Digital River customer service and spoke with a man once and he was unhelpful and not the slightest bit understanding - thank you so much for any help!

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
thanks for the help- I have already purchased and downloaded a hard copy of the game because I had given up hope that I would be able to fix whatever glitch was keeping the game and mac from working together. as a result, I am still going to try and get a refund for my wasted $50 on the downloaded game...do you have any advice on how to successfully get a refund? (what did you do to make it a success?) I called Digital River customer service and spoke with a man once and he was unhelpful and not the slightest bit understanding - thank you so much for any help!

Look your download purchase of the game is and will not go to waste. There is a fix and the fix enables you to play the downloaded digital version of SIMS 3 (PC WINDOWS) edition onto your MAC OSX. It's a simple easy fix all you have to do is follow my above instructions and it will work. Not sure if you comprehend what I'm saying. :)

Dpscc

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Still a slight problem here...

This is indeed a good solution, but it doesn't quite work with the BestBuy/DigitalRiver issue, and here's why:

The way their system is set up, you don't automatically get access to downloading the game/zip file mentioned below. You start by receiving a "downloader/download manager" program, which you then use to download the software itself.

The problem is that downloader is Windows only (an exe file, which Macs won't run for a number of reasons).

So while the idea below may work AFTER you download the full file, it won't solve this part of the problem. And, for those of us who have Macs only and no PCs, BestBuy's/DigitalRiver's method simply won't work the way it's set up right now. I, for one, am not going to a public library or borrow a friend's computer for 3 hours or so (assuming they have a fast Internet connection) to download a game. It defeats the purpose of downloading altogether.

I did contact BestBuy about it and they were fairly quick at issuing me a full refund, though, so I may still end up going to a store and just buying a physical copy.

But my advice for everyone as of now is, if you have a Mac, stay away from BestBuy/DigitalRiver's download option as of now. Just go to the store and buy it.

D.

Again let me post what I just previously posted 3 post's ago. Let me clarify again as well, if you downloaded the digital download version of the Sims 3 (PC WINDOWS) edition/version and are trying to install it on your (MAC OSX) then your not out of luck. Although initially when you try to install it, it gives you a "Cannot verify the integrity of the installer" error message and closes. There is indeed a fix for this, so that you can install it on the (MAC OSX). If you follow these step by step instructions you will have it running on your MAC in no time.

1. Unpack the zip file that was downloaded from D2D or in this case digitalriver. A folder should show up. This would be the folder with the installation files.

4. Close disk utility.

Enjoy.

jmontesi94

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
yes i understand exactly what you are saying and i am aware that there is a "fix" for the downloadable game but i have already purchased a hard copy so yes, it will go to waste. i am not going to spend hours converting the game when the reason i bought the downloadable version was to save time.

Dpscc

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
While DigitalRiver's costumer service may be bad, BestBuy's always been very helpful.

My suggestion in your case is contacting BB, and asking them for a refund instead, since you did buy through them. You may want to do it through e-mail, though, as their phone service is hard to figure out the right person to talk to (online? games? tech? been there, done that).

As I said, I e-mailed them and, a couple business days later, I had a reply promising a full refund.

I used this URL to send the refund request, and tried to fill it out as much as possible, explaining - as been pointed out here - that the product page stated it was Mac/Windows, and the image on the download page also shows Mac/Windows:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12104&type=page

Hope this helps!
D.

yes i understand exactly what you are saying and i am aware that there is a "fix" for the downloadable game but i have already purchased a hard copy so yes, it will go to waste. i am not going to spend hours converting the game when the reason i bought the downloadable version was to save time.

masonryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
While DigitalRiver's costumer service may be bad, BestBuy's always been very helpful.

My suggestion in your case is contacting BB, and asking them for a refund instead, since you did buy through them. You may want to do it through e-mail, though, as their phone service is hard to figure out the right person to talk to (online? games? tech? been there, done that).

As I said, I e-mailed them and, a couple business days later, I had a reply promising a full refund.

I used this URL to send the refund request, and tried to fill it out as much as possible, explaining - as been pointed out here - that the product page stated it was Mac/Windows, and the image on the download page also shows Mac/Windows:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12104&type=page

Hope this helps!
D.

the bestbuy digital river website that hosts the sims 3 digital download, the image of the box has changed it no longer states win/mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.